Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

 

“Yeobo, I’ll be home soon,” he said, his smiling face on the computer screen as we web cammed with each other.

“When is soon?” my voice was soft and sad. I missed him so much, why couldn’t they just allow him to stay home for more than a month at a time. I want time with my husband, time to have a honey moon or to start getting ready for an adoption.

“Yeobo, you know that I’ll tell you as soon as I find out,” he said. We had been webcamming for the past twenty minutes and yet it still wasn’t enough for me. I should feel happy; this was the most amount of time that we had been able to webcam for a long time. We usually don’t get this much time on webcam to begin with.

“I know. I just wish they would let you know sooner than later. I know that you’ve been overseas for a long time, why can’t they let me have you for a while longer before they take you from me again?” I said, tears slowly rolling down my cheeks.

“KiBummie, please don’t cry, I love you. I’ll be home to see you soon. They tell me that it should be a few more weeks before I come home, okay? When I get home, we can start that family we’ve always been talking about. You can start planning a small getaway for us to have together before we start the process of adopting a child, okay?” he said to me, “Well, yeobo, Its time for me to get off and get some sleep for tomorrow, just remember I’m always with you right here,” he pointed to his heart.

I laughed slightly, “I know. I love you too, Jjong. Come home safely.” I made a heart sign with my hands and blew him a kiss before he waved, blew a kiss back and signed off.

~Two Months later~

I was standing in the hanger waiting for my Marine to come out of formation. It had been 6 months since the last time we had seen each other and to be honest, it was harder for me than all the other times that he had been home. However this time, his higher ups told us that he had a good 6 months before he had to ship out again.

A few more minutes and the men were marching in. He was one of the men who were in the front of the pack. I can’t believe how much I missed him. It had been too long, and I’m glad that he was home safely now.

I didn’t come alone to welcome JongHyun home, however. TaeMin, Minho and Onew found the need to come with me to welcome him home, when all I wanted to do was to keep him for myself tonight. But all of my plans with him can be put off for a few days while Taemin, Minho and Onew were here to hang out with him.

Jjong and I were so happy that the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell (DADT)” had finally been lifted. Now he and I could openly kiss at his homecomings.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Jjong was released from duty and he was officially home and he was mine until the Marines take him away to a place far away, where letters and occasional skype dates are allowed.

I was the first to spot him, and ran up and gave him a big hug. I felt him smile against my head before pushing my head up to face him with two fingers on my chin.

“I missed you, yeobo,” he said and finally gave me a kiss. I melted in his arms. I had waited for so long just for this moment.

“I missed you so much, Jjong. I’m so glad that I can finally hug you and kiss you. And tomorrow, I’ll wake up to your face right next to mine. Jjong, I can’t wait to expand our family,” I said to him, holding up the adoption papers for him to look at and sign.

He smiled wide and hugged and kissed me again. “I thought we were going to have our honeymoon first,” he said to me between kisses.

“I decided that starting a family means more to me than a honeymoon that we never had. I don’t need that because the best thing right now, is that we’ll be able to wake up next to each other,” I replied happily.

There was already someone who had contacted me about adoption, and all that was left was the interview with Jjong and I, as well as Jjong signing the adoption papers.

Before we could even start the serious part of the “adoption conversation,” Taemin, Minho, and Onew finally made their appearance.

“You’re finally home! We won’t have a moping Kibum at our house anymore,” Onew said jokingly as he hugged JongHyun tightly. “We’ve all missed you so much, JongHyun, welcome home.”

“Hyung!” TaeMin called out to JongHyun before tackling him. “Everyone says that deployments get easier, but they don’t! KiBum-Umma was crying for a week after you left!” TaeMin cried softly hitting his hyung playfully in the arm. “We’re glad that you’re safe, though, at least now KiBum-umma won’t cry so much. And if KiBum-Umma does cry, I’ll kick your .”

MinHo smiled softly from behind TaeMin and Onew. “Glad to see you home, big brother. Does mom even know that you’re home yet?” MinHo asked shaking hands with his brother, who pulled him in for a hug.

“Yeah, mom knows. I called her the day before I left Afghanistan,” JongHyun replied softly. “Everytime I’m gone, it feels like a hundred years has passed and I have missed so much.”

“Yeobo, you didn’t miss too much… Except that your little brother has decided its okay to ask my baby to be his boyfriend,”I faux cried, pointing at MinHo as though he was the most offensive thing in the world.

“How did I not notice?” JongHyun asked, wide eyed as he noticed that MinHo and TaeMin were holding hands and smiling softly to one another every so often.

“I guess it’s time to go home, huh?” I asked ignoring JongHyun’s question and softly tugging on JongHyun’s hand. As we walked away, the rest of the group followed.

“We can talk about this tomorrow, tonight, however, Jjong and I have something we need to talk about,” I said, trying my best not to express anything that would give away the fact that we are going to be adopting soon.

~An Hour Later~

“I’ve missed you,” Jjong said to me as he and I walked through our front door as a couple for the 15th time since we moved here.

“I’ve missed you, too,” I replied before going to the kitchen and pulling out a small binder that had little pieces of paper sticking out every which way. “Would you like to see the twins we’ll be adopting if we pass our interview?”

His eyes widened and nodded yes to me. I showed him a picture of twin babies, just born. “What are their names?” he asked me, as he stared at the picture in awe.

“Well, the one on the left, his name is named JunHyung, the one on the right, his name is HyunSeung…”

 


A/N: So, this is just a short something that I wanted to write, since I don't write often. Anyways, if anything is confusing here's some background...

JongHyun has been deployed, in the time that he has been deployed, the Don't Ask, Don't Tell of the United States Military had been lifted. Don't Ask, Don't Tell is the US goverment's policy that used to not accept the Gays into miltary. But since it has been lifted, gays and lesbians can act as couples now that the law is no more. ^^ Just celebrating 2 months late. ^^ New story update for The Meaning is Everything will be up by next week if I can get on~ <3 

Hwaiting!

Love Always,

Kim MiYoung