Chapter Three

We Destroy Ourselves

CHAPTER THREE

    “School starts tomorrow…” Minsoo commented.

 

    “Don’t remind me,” Seyi sighed. “I hope I don’t get that grouch, Mr.Kang, for history again.”

 

    “Hey, at least we’ll get to see our most beloved Bae Suzy again!” Minsoo and Seyi cackled. As they continued walking down the streets of their town, a sprinting girl rammed into Seyi’s shoulders, causing both girls to fall to the ground.

 

    “What the hell?! Watch where you’re going!” Seyi scowled at the trembling girl as Minsoo helped her stand. “Hello? Aren’t you going to apologize?!”

 

    Minsoo yanked the girl up onto her feet and pushed her against the wall of a shop. Grabbing a fistful of the girl’s bangs, she forced her head to look up. Seeing who it was, Minsoo smirked.

 

    “Well, well, well. Speak of the devil, we were just talking about you, Suzy! How’s your summer been? We’ve been awfully lonely not seeing you.” She cooed. Tears ran down Suzy’s cheeks, her lips quivering.

 

    Seyi came up behind Minsoo and snickered.

 

    “Stop it Minsoo, you’re scaring the poor girl.” Seyi traced her nail along Suzy’s throat. “Friends should have fun with each other, right?” Suzy began sobbing.

 

    “I-I’m sorry, I didn’t m-mean to bump into you, I-” She was cut off with a slap to the face by Minsoo.

    

    “No no no, it’s alright, Suzy dear! Now we don’t have to put off playing with you until tomorrow.” Suzy shrank down in fear.

 

    She hated Mundanes. Hated how every night they would tie a member of her Guild to the stake and burn them, how all of her peers thought of her as garbage because of her half Witch blood, how she was bullied day in and day out, how there was no one who was willing to step up for her here.

 

    In a land of ruthless Mundanes, she was no match.

 

    Her mom was burned when she was young, her father committing suicide soon after. She lived in an orphanage, no one wanting to adopt her because she was a witch. On the other hand, summer was always a bliss for her. Her grandmother was kind and wise, teaching her spells and the ways of a White Witch, unlike in the Mundane schools where all they were taught was the ‘horror’ that was the Vermins.

 

    She had other Witch friends over there, people who cared about her and didn’t abuse her.

 

    But summer would end and her happiness shattered into a million pieces.

 

    What bad luck she had, having to deal with this the day she got back.

 

    She knew she could defend herself. She was stronger and much more powerful than the Mundanes that tied her down daily but if she dared used her magic, the Disciplinary Council’s Knights wouldn’t hesitate to capture and kill her.

 

    Life was cruel. If only there was an escape.

 

    But an escape from fate? The only exit was calling Death himself.

 

    She would have to endure, and one day, she will pay every last Mundane that mistreated her back tenfold. She swore it.

 

    ~O~

 

 

    Limping down the dark paths, she finally made it back to the orphanage. Her entire body was covered in bruises and blood. Seyi and Minsoo were rougher than usual, most likely because they kept it in for three months.

 

    She tripped over something, landing painfully flat on her face. Tears streaming down her cheeks, she forced herself up and continued limping into the infirmary. When she showed up at the entrance, panting and clutching her torso, the nurse quickly went to her side and helped her into a bed. She bandaged her up and spread ointments on the wounds.

 

    Suzy fell asleep soon after, and the nurse went to get the head of the building.

 

    Everyday, Kristen, everyday she comes back in this condition! We can’t continue sending her to school here, she might get killed!” The nurse exclaimed. “There’s a high school I know of, called Sekang, and I heard students from all guilds get along with each other there! It’s free and there are dorms there too! We should enroll her to the school, it’s not too late.”

 

    The head stared at Suzy’s injured body on the bed for a couple minutes.

 

    “Alright. I’ll get the paperwork done. When she wakes up, please tell her about the transfer. She will be living there for her last year in high school.” The head said, then hurried off to her office.

 

    The nurse let out a sigh and sat next to Suzy’s bed.

 

    “I pray that you will be well, child.” She Suzy’s hair. “You have suffered enough.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

******I changed up some things in the character descriptions and the description in the forward

 

I was going to make Seyi change her perspective of the other Guilds later on in the story buuuttt… I’ve changed my mind. :) hehe

 

Thank you to everyone who is reading this story! Please look forward to later chapters :))))))))))))))

(I SWEAR SUZY WON’T GET AS MUCH HATE LATER ON IN THE STORY I NEEDED TO WRITE THIS SCENE TO SHOW HOW AWFUL SUZY HAD IT AND ALSO MUNDANES VIEW ON THE VERMINS. OTL)