Chapter Three

Am I Not Good Enough For You?

What does this mean?

Those words danced around in Tao's curious mind, reading each line over and over again. The last line always hit him harshly in the heart each time he read it.

 

Oh, Tao you are as innocent as a young child.

If I were to say what color represents you,

It'd be as white as this prickly rose.

Any color can dye you,

Like the blood from your finger from the cut you got from the rose.

But as much as cute you are in the group...

No matter how close you might be to him....

I'd like to see you stained by red one day.

 

Tao nervously crumpled his paper up as he heard the door creak, but there was no one at the door. "Just the wind," he muttered as cold sweat accumalated on his skin. He shivered as a soft breeze flew across his body. He noticed the white rose laying in a clear vase and attempted to pick it up, only to whince from getting pricked by a pointy thorn, a droplet of fresh blood falling into the clear water. Tao quickly on his index finger, afraid of how seemingly accurate that fifth line was.

He aimlessly walked out of his room and searched for a bandaid, scared to ask the person who the fangirl might have directed as. He pondered on the possible solutions, all fingers pointing to Kris. He was so sure it might be him, but it could've also been Xiu-gege. Moments of him hugging the short hyung everyday rang through his memory, until an arm s around his neck, startling him a lot more than he thought.

"Hyaa! O-Oh, it's just you Kai..."

"Sup Tao-hyung. So how's it going?"

"N-Nothing.."

"What's wron-"

"Nothing, nothing!"

Tao skittered to the kitchen cabinets, returning to his conquest for a bandaid. Kai watched the hyung with worry, Tao finally finding the object he's been looking for, although it wasn't the main source of his anxious thoughts. Tao attempted to wrap it around his wounded finger, the bandaid twisting in and out by all the wrong angles. Tao cursed under his breath, tossing the crumpled aid into the trash can.

A hand found it's way onto his shoulder, a startled Tao jumping from the contact. He shifted his head to eye on the other, who was Kris. Tao widened his eyes, quickly trying to find his way out of this awkward situation. He had a strange feeling in his gut thta he knew he should follow. Avoiding Kris was one of them... not that he admitted it was also because of the influence of his haters.

"T-Tao? What's been up with you lately? You've been avoiding me..."

Tao rushed out the room, murmuring half-hearted apologizes left and right while leaving the confused Kris in the kitchen. A worried expression crepted onto the black bystander, Kai. (Hey author, I'm not that dark!) The tan maknae (Okey, that's better) knew something was up with his wushu master hyung. But he didn't want to pry too hard on it, for the sake of not being unneccessarily avoided by Tao as well.

 

Tao laid on his bed, glancing at the window sill of where the gifted rose stood proud and tall on. The water was now eerily tainted pinkish from his blood, a petal dyed reddish-brown as well. He grimaced at the thought of the letter, approaching the vase to clean out the water. After all, he read up that some of his fans did not like untidy idols. Out the window was a stray cat about the size of a growning kitten, so he creaked open the glass for the creature to enter. The hesitant paws led their way in, sitting on the bed for Tao to join.

The boy gently sat back down while looking at the now cleaned out vase, whose water is now perpetually alluring other strange critters nearby. He peered back onto the gray cat who he assumed was a kitten, slowly sching a hand onto its head. The stray purred at his touch, leaning in to rub at a better area. Tao simply obeyed its will, feeling the soft, velvety feel of the fur. He wasn't much of a cat person since he prefered his dog, Candy over anyday, but today cranked his cat meter a bit.

The cat mewled, swishing its tail side to side, approaching the amused Zitao with no hesitation now. Fatigue washed over Tao's mind all of a sudden, yawns filling the room. He wearily pulled the covers over his body, the stray joining him under the warmth. It's been so long for Tao to have a furry creature sleeping in his arms. The haunting chants of his haters comment ceased for a bit during this cherishable moment.

 

....

 

Tao woke up to a large banging at the window sill, that practically screamed possible ghost or rock from a wandering fan, but he doubt it since it was so late. But then the thought of a ghost barging in filled his thoughts, trying to clutch onto the missing mass of fur. Then he realized, the knocking was from the stray.

"Do you want to go outside little one?"

"Meow~"

"Okay.. out you go."

Tao reluctantly slide the glass open, the stray jumping out of the comfort of his room and out into the cold, dark city. He hoped for the kittent to return and prayed for its safety. His dorm door slammed open, surprised to see it was Sehun.

"Tao-ah, it's time for dinner!"

"Okay."

Tao glanced once more at the open widow, whispering a farewell to the stray before following the maknae into the warmth of the cloud of delectable scents and steam. Kai noticed the two enter the dining area, suspiciously eyeing mainly at Tao. Although he told himself not to, his worry and curiousity ceased to be quenched by mere glances and minor stalking. (lol wth have you been doing Kai?)


A/N: I'm sorry for this short chapter but my head has been out of it lately. *bows in apology*

Anyways, thank you all for the support you guys have given me, especially the ones who have followed more than one of my stories. Bye, and see you later in future updates.

-Author nim