Fell

How to Be an Adult. By Lee Taemin

At almost twenty four Lee Taemin is a child. He's all hot blood and wild body. All he wants from life is to live comfortably and easily, doing the things he likes and spending time with the people he loves.
All other rules according to him are there either to be ignored or to be smashed into pieces.

So when he gets an important looking invitation it's precisely because he knows what's that all about he comes in late, dressed in jeans and a sweater.
"Taemin!", he sees his mother hurrying towards him, in a smart yellow dress and an expression of mixed anger and bewilderment. He is so not fitting with the atmosphere that can he can literally hear how heads of important people in expensive suits turn after his back.
Taemin waves at the woman lovingly.
"Lee Taemin, what are you doing?", finally stopping near him she hisses, trying hard to keep the smile on her face for the onlookers. "How they even let you here?"
But Taemin pays her little to no attention frankly as he looks around the big hall.
"Told them I'm the main star's husband. why? Do you know where's Kibum?", the room is so full of people and he can't spot any familiar face in the crowd.
"He's probably with the press... No, Taemin don't you dare to go to him like... Taemin!", but it was too late as her son has already moved away from her.
They for sure outdid themselves this time, he thinks absent-mindedly trying to make his way. It was Kibum's final exhibition for the summer, the last from the series which critiques called 'sensation of the year' so for sure they have put un effort in it. Still the grandiose hall, the ten chandeliers and the caviar are a little too much according to Taemin's opinion.

"The whole point of the exhibitions is for the people to see my work.", Kibum has told him once. "After that I can permit myself to do anything that I want."

'You already can do anything you want', Taemin looks at the walls. He sees the same stirred patterns and bright blues he sees in Kibum's studio, polished under the thick glasses and frames. He likes them more when they are
barely dry in the messy small room and Kibum is gathering his paints around them, dressed in faded jeans and torn T-shirt. Not a smart suit in which Taemin spots him now.

His husband was in the middle on the crowd of course, ipads and camera surrounding him, people pushing microphones and recording machines in his face. In the midst of it all he was flashing a bright smile at everybody, bowing politely and thanking for the complements. Taemin can't help but smirk in conspiracy seeing how much actually the man disliked this kind of attention.
After awhile Kbum finally spots Taemin standing on a side, hands in his pockets, and his eyes flicker at the familiar face. With even more bowing he excuses himself quickly from the journalists and makes his way towards the boy.
"Hey! Didn't expect you to come.", he comes next to him and Taemin likes to think his smile is different from before. He had some cold lately coughing lightly on one side while his gaze travel up and down Taemin's body.
He barely contains the laugh."You look cute thou."
Laughing too the younger shrugs his shoulders and leans to give Kibum a kiss on the cheek. With all the people and cameras surrounding them he can get away with it.
"Now, when are we getting out of here?", among the camera clicks he whispers.
"What?", Kibum looks taken aback at the younger but the little smirk on Taemin's lips tells him he is not exactly joking. "Taemin, I'm kinda having an exhibition here?", he spells it like talking to a nine years old.  Taemin doesn't want to have any of this however.
"So? Come, go out on a date with me instead, Kibum-ah."
"A date?"
Taemin grins sheepishly.

"A date?", Kibum looks up confused from his canvas at Taemin standing in the door frame. The younger is surprisingly serious despite the small grin.
"A date." he repeats going inside and standing right in front of the man. "Go out on a date with me, Kibum-ah."
There's a moment of silence in which they just look each other before Kibum scoffs at the boy and returns his attention back to work.
"What date are you talking about? We are already married."
"Come on, you know what I mean.", the younger pushes. "Plus even if we are married it's not like we had actually dated."
"Aw, why not?", Kibum rises his eyebrow teasingly. "Remember when I had to fetch you up from the club? If that wasn't a romantic walk under the moonlight..."
"Kibum, I was drunk off my !", Taemin exclaims already flushing from the blurry memory. How his parents thought it was a good idea to send Kibum after him only a week after they knew each other was beyond him.
"Yeah, you threw up on my Armanies too, if I remember correctly."
"Ah...", Taemin buries his face in his palms in embarrassment under Kibum's laugh, swearing at his drinking habits. Particularly the one where he doesn't know on which planet he is.
"Don't worry so much, I don't remember it every time I look at you if that's what you think."
"Can we just...", Taemin raises his voice annoyed. "... get back on the point. Go out on a date with me Kibum!"
"But we..."
"Nevertheless go out with me!"He is a child which doesn't give up after all and he has a purpose today.
Kibum peers at him hesitant.

The same look his giving him now but Taemin continues to smile and nods firmly. There is not getting out of here like the past several times.
Kibum sights.
"Let me speak with my manager first..." he tries to move past the younger but Taemin grabs his wrist.
"Or we can just flee like this? And nobody is going to know what happened suddenly to the star of the night."
There is a light in Kibum's eyes, like he actually considers giving in. But then the look becomes hard and almost scolding once more.
"This is a big event people actually spent effort on, Taemin-ah. You can't just flee from it.", Kibum says lowly. "We will go. Just let me speak to the manager and let him know I won't be here."
And as much as Taemin want to childishly oppose again, because who is the manager to say whatever Kibum can or can not go from his own exhibition, he lets go. Because being an impulsive and carefree is great and all but everybody does things on their own pace. And looking at Kibum's small smile as he comes back and nods approvingly at Taemin he thinks that maybe letting them do things in their comfort zone can be the right decision sometimes.

 *

 

"Urg, I hate riding on your bike!", the raven haired man already half regreted his decision as he wobbly puts his feet on the soft ground.
He tries to pat his hair into place again, Taemin quite likes him messy like this though so as he watches him he hopes his ministration won't succeed. He smirks when he does give up in the end and, feeling bold, reached to ruffle it even more
"Don't. You. Dare."
"Just don't get him angry.", Jonghyun said that to him once and faced with Kibum`s intimidating gaze Taemin fully understands why. He puts his hand away awkwardly.
Kibum huffs and looks around. "And where exactly are we?"
Taemin knows quite well that the elder gets annoyed when he loses control even for awhile. But there's a pout he's wearing so he can't really care as it does things to his insides that can't be healthy. Like fool he smiles instead and forgets the intimidation taking his hand to drag him towards a bench.
"It's a movie and a dinner date!"
They are in an open cinema right now, a big screen before them and several cars or people around. It's not a very popular place judging by the only few other cars that are present but Taemin may or may not has chosen it just for that.
Kibum rises an eyebrow at the old French movie screening annoyance forgotten and looks back amused at Taemin.
"And the dinner?"
Giving him a Cheshire grin Taemin holds up a plastic bag. Inside are several bottles of beer, two burgers and a package of chocolate biscuits.
"Definitely more keen on drinking than eating, huh?"
But nevertheless Kibum sits down next to Taemin and opens up the first bottle. "Cheers."
Taemin wonders if he isn't becoming a tiny little bit of a fool as well. Seeing the little smile that's playing on the bow shaped lips.

They eat in silence, eyes on the movie. The subtitles are so tiny though and they have arrived in the middle so both of them have no real idea what's going on. Other than the blonde girl should start wearing more clothes and stop stealing the man's jacket all the time.
The moon is already high in the sky and Taemin sees once again how transparent Kibum's skin becomes under it. There's a mid-summer breeze in between the tree leaves above them and occasionally a bird's voice. With a sudden idea in his mind Taemn holds the chocolate cookie between his teeth and takes off his jacket, draping it over Kibum's shoulders.
When the man jolts up and look at him confused he's already munching happily eyes on the screen. He almost hears Kibum's scoff. There's a quite rustle in the silence and after a moment on his turn there's something covering his shoulders.
Heart dropping Taemin looks over the other but Kibum has his jacket still hugging his frame. He realizes it's not his but Kibum's tight suit coat instead, fitting somewhat tightly on his frame.
The elder refuses to look at him but there's small pink dots on his cheeks and Taemin scoots closer, leaning into the elder.
"Idiot.", Kibum whispers. It sounds kind of affectionately.

The movie ends soon after that, without applauses and finding a dozing Taemin on Kibum's shoulder. The elder takes a minute to look at the calm sleeping face of the boy before shaking him off gently. When Taemin's lids shudder open finally he sees his husband standing before him, hand outstretched to take.
"Well, that was fun, wasn't it?"
The younger's voice is too cheerful that comes off almost sarcastic and earns himself a giggle from the other.
"Yeeah.", Kibum drawls. "And look, we are having a romantic walk under the moonlight again!"
They are too tipsy to ride back, even if Taemin says he can perfectly do so, thus they decide to try for a near bus stop. The night street is just as lively as a capital can offer, cars and people filling the midnight silence with noises.
"Jonghyun texted. He's angry."
, Kibum informs after awhile but put his phone back into the pocket not bothering calling back. Taemin snickers at that and not really thinking brush their fingers together, takes a hold of Kibum's hand and proceeds swinging them back in forth in a horrible kindergarten manner.
Kibum stiffens almost immediately. He gives Taemin a worried look and the younger man knows that gaze.
"Taemin-ah, there're people watching."
But the boy is prepared and squeezes his husband's hand tighter not permitting it to slip away.
"So what? It's not like we are doing something wrong. Plus I don't think they care much about us."
After awhile trying to be more affectionate with Kibum Taemin has realized it. If it's not for the sake of presentation Kibum isn't comfortable with any sort of affection where other people could see. He's not used of holding hands or of Taemin suddenly kissing his cheek on the street. As if he's doing something wrong and is afraid others will see and point their fingers at him.  Even now, in the night, he looks hesitant and almost scared.
"It's not wrong.", Taemin repeats and smiles warmly, the alcohol in his blood making it so much easier to reach and ease with his thumb the frown on Kibum's face. 'You don't have to hide anymore.'
Kibum looks at him a little bit longer before suddenly leaning in and giving him a chase peck on the cheek. Taemin eyes widens and all the blood fly to his cheeks, he's sure he looks like an embarrasses school girl right now. Which only makes Kibum to laugh loudly, his elbow digging painfully in Taemin's ribs.
And it's childish of him to pout and try to do the same to the elder, chasing him till the stop. And Kibum is the adult to apologize in the end. But the both of them somehow keep smiling till they say 'Good night.' in the house.

*

 

Taemin continues to smile the next day too, when there's two mugs of coffee on the kitchen counter and Kibum reading the morning news. And when he sits not on the opposite end but rather near him, the elder doesn't even try to move further so Taemin is happy all the following day.
They got their earful of course, but mostly from Jonghyun and mostly because Kibum didn't call him at all after that.
When "Taemin insisted he take me on movie and a dinner", left Kibum's lips the man shuts up instantly. He throws a knowing smirk at Taemin over his shoulder and pats secretly Kibum's head before announcing he will be staying for dinner. The newlyweds groan.
"How is the dating life going, Hyung?", Kibum asks Jonghyun while his stuffing himself with chicken and rise.
"`ts `ine`...", he mumbls with full mouth and Taemin almost rolls down laughing at his expression. Jonghyun gulps down the food and sticks his tongue out to the boy. "It's more interesting how is your doing?"
Kibum opens his mouth but Taemn beats him to it quickly.
"We are already married, hyung.", he smiles sheepishly looking sideways towards Kibum. There's a lot more meaning to his words than a simple distraction and he hopes that the other caught it. Kibum gives him a small teasing grin.
"Yeah.", he nods supporting Taemin. "And I saw you talking the other night with a person sporting sweet smile and long legs. Business associate?"
They continue joking trough the whole evening, Jonghyun pouting at their joined efforts to until he confesses all his dirty secrets. He's fast to say goodbye a little bit after eleven, giving a brief hug to Taemin and kissing Kibum on the cheek.
"You seem somehow happy.", he whispers to his brother before going out and waving one last time to the couple. Kibum touches his cheeks and feel the heathen up.

"Well, I guess that's for him for another week.", stretching his limbs he goes to the kitchen and started putting away the dishes.
"I can do it.", seeing that quickly Taemin offers. He has noted how tired Kibum seems lately. Plus that cough that won't go away.
"Don't worry.", Kibum shrugs him off and pulls the dishwasher open.  "I must go back to work after that anyway. If you want you can rest."
Taemin can't help but worry though. He tries to stay up until Kibum goes to bed, checking resent pictures on his camera but fails as his eyes closes around 2 a.m.

*

 

'Everything will be alright.', is something embodied in Taemin as a child. Nothing bad will happen, everything will turn good in the end.
That's why he's even more worried when Kibum doesn't return home for the next whole day because of business meetings.
That's why he's scared less when he walk home the next afternoon and finds Kibum sweating and trembling on the kitchen's floor.
And he's terrified out of his senses in the hospital when the doctor comes out from Kibum's room.
"Pneumonia.", he tells a sympathetic look on his face. "We are running some tests right now. But everything should be alright."
"I don't understand how it managed to get this bad though.", the nurse beside him adds out of place.
Taemin doesn't understand either. He falls back slack on the couch in the waiting area, face buried in his palms and cursing himself to the bone for that. How could he didn't that coming? He knew Kibum was too busy with work. He knew he wasn't resting properly.
He's shaking, staring at the door behind which professionals are trying to calm down his husband's temperature. He has managed to sent Jonghyun a mail when they first came in so all that is left to do now is wait and wait again.
"Everything is going to be alright. Everything isgoingtobealright, goingtobealright...", he keeps repeating under his breath like a mantra. That's what the doctor said as wll and for the sake of his life Taemin will force himself to believe in him.

Half an hour more and the same med-sister comes out and tells him Kibum is under control right now, temperature slowly subsiding, Taemin breaths again.
He's about to ask if he can see him now but loud steps down the corridor interrupt his thoughts. He turns around ready to calm down a very worried Kim Jonghyun but sees something else. It's not  Jonghyun hyung who's running towards them, pale as a ghost and sweat dripping down is forehead. It's Choi Minho and Taemin bites his tongue almost drawing blood at the sight.
The man stops near them breathless, panting with hands on his knees and pants out a staggered "Where's Kibum?"
'Must have run all the way here.', but Taemin doesn't really feel sorry. His fists are tightly squeezed and he glares at the taller male before him.
"I was in the meeting with Kim and..."
"What are you doing here?", his voice is cutting edge which stops Choi Minho's ramblings. The man looks up at him forehead furrowing in confusion. As if he had forgotten who Taemin actually is.
"I heard Kibum is in a hospital.", he repeats again slower and stands up straight peering down at the younger boy male. There's a spark in his eyes that tells Taemin he's ready for a fight but so is he, the stress and the exhaustion straining his nerves to the utmost limit.
"That's why I'm asking you what do you think you are doing here Choi?", he bites down. "Is my husband of any concern of yours?"
The nurse looks worriedly between the two and Taemin has to remind himself they are in public right now. He doesn't really want to make a scene.
"Can we not do this now?", Minho breaths out frustrated. "I'm really sorry for the circumstances but Kibum..."
Taemin can feel blood coming to his cheeks and ears drumming with anger. Kibum what?
Minho doesn't even try to challenge him with his gaze, he's impatient and looks at Taemin as if he's a kid he has to move from his way.
"Kibum will want me here." That does it.
"MR KIM!"
With one swift move Taemin's fist collides with Choi Minho's cheek. It probably hurts Taemin way more but it's still enough to send the other flying back and he's satisfied.
The nurse gasps and tries to hold him back but there's not much attention he can spare to her, eyes throwing dagger at the other man.
"Go away.", he grows lowly at him. "Go away and never show you face again in front of me or Kibum."
Minho rubs his jaw more shocked than anything else and on his turn glares at the shorter guy.
"Don't you think this is not the time and place Taemin-shi? You are acting awfully like a little child right now."
Taemin's blood boils and he prays the nurse away taking a step forward. A child or nor Choi Minho was stepping to much over the line.
Maybe if Kibum was here he would have understood why the elder acts this way. Because he used to be that special person in Kibum's life and no matter what will believe he still is. And because he's worried too and probably in pain. Maybe if Taemin was an adult he wouldn't punch him again.
But he's not and he won't permit the man to get close to Kibum again. Not in a million reasons.
"You say I'm the unreasonable one, mister-I-have-a-wife-and-a-child? You think you have the right o be here and 'make everything alright'?", under the nurse's helpless gaze he pushes the man back. "Well I have the news for you. Kibum doesn't need you. He hasn't for awhile and I will make sure he never will again. So.Go.The..Away."
Minho's eyes are murderous but they darts to the nurse. They are definitely making a scene now. Suddenly his phone rings and by the look on hi face he has to answer it.
"You think you can do that? Make him feel alright?", he asks at Taemin. He seems challenging again and in the same time slowly giving up the fight. "Can you really? A child like you?"
"You need to go now.", Taemin repeats firmly.
The phone keeps buzzing and Choi Minho gradually loses all the strength. He turns around and with big loud steps leave the hall way, leaving an even more exhausted Taemin and a half-scare nurse. After five more minutes Jonghyun finally comes, running in and shaking Taemin with million questions.
They finally tell them Kibum is awake.

 


Yeah, finally I finished it!
This chapter was quite fun to write too ^^^ I hope the angst in the end was not too sudden but actually this scene was one of the first that I thought of from this story and it was important for me to put it.

I hope you like it too ^^^ 
As usual subsribes are always loved!

And please comment, it will mean a lot to mee! feedback is the msot important thing.

Thanks' for reading ^^^