Two

STAGED

TWO

 

I stood with my feet together, body poised the way I know it should be, and dropped my head slightly in preparation. Turning my head to the side before the music started, I looked across the length of the studio towards my dance partner.

 

I still couldn’t believe what, or rather who I was seeing. This can’t be real can it? Did my idol Kai really just walked into my dance class and is about to do a duet with me? He must’ve felt my gaze on him because he turned in my direction, and we made eye contact before I could turn away. I flushed, embarrassed that he had caught me staring. Kai smiled, and I felt all the nerves in me slowly melt away.  Here I had the honour to dance with my idol, and I needed to do well. I have to give it my all in order to match up to his standards, and I can’t afford to become a burden to him. 

 

“Let’s do this, 클로이.” Kai said, pronouncing my name in his native language. I smiled, nodding subtly.

 

The soft music started, and I allowed all my worries to melt into the background, like I had trained myself to whenever I’m dancing. Kai and I stepped towards each other on cue, and even so it was tough to maintain eye contact with him. I had to resist the urge to stare at my feet. Kai seems to be able to sense my nervousness, because he keeps nodding and smiling as a form of encouragement. The tempo slowly picked up, and we also fell into pace with the music. I moved according to muscle memory, leaping, extending and stretching. I placed my hand in his as I spun, and he guided me well into the next few moves. I knew that I wasn’t following the music exceptionally well, but I could tell that Kai was matching me instead of the music, as dancers in a couple dance should, so that the mistake of the partner will not be too glaring. He was truly enjoying the dance, smiling widely as he moved in sync with me, and I felt both thankful and sorry at the same time – I am most definitely of no match to his dancing, and only seem to be dragging him down.

 

The choreography ended earlier than I had remembered it and we both came to a stop.

 

Toby turned off the music, and the studio fell into silence, the sounds of our breathing the only thing apparent.

 

I looked towards Toby, who had started clapping with a wide smile on his face, all while looking at Kai. He had a look of – what was it – pride? The way a teacher would look at his student.

 

“How was it? Remembered anything?” He asked. Kai let go of my hand subconsciously, and my palm suddenly felt cold. I clenched my fist and hid it behind my back.

 

“It was amazing.” Kai answered, with a smile as wide as Toby’s. Thanks for suggesting I come when I called you, hyung. This was really helpful and a healing time for me.”

 

Toby turned to me then. “Chloe, Kai will be joining your lessons for this week. Afterwards, he’ll be flying back to Korea. He is also my student, but from a long time ago, and now he’s back here for a week for a short resting time out of his busy schedule.”

 

One week? I thought, my mind jumping excitedly at the thought of spending an entire week with him in dance class. What kind of luck was this! I didn’t even know Toby mentored Kai before.

As much as I was excited, my heart also sank quickly, realizing that he will be gone after a week and I’ll probably never get a chance to see, much less dance with him like this again. Toby left the room, saying he’ll get us drinks, and a pin-drop silence ensued. I stared at my shoes then, fiddling with the corner of my shirt.

 

My mind was in overdrive – I am in the dance studio alone with Kai!

 

“Call me jongin.” Kai said and I looked up at him. “Jongin oppa.” He emphasized, his smile reaching his eyes. “I’m sure you’re not older than me.”

 

“I’m not.” I said. “I was born in 1996.” I hesitated. “Jongin oppa.”

 

Why was this so hard?? I felt like tearing my hair out in embarrassment and frustration. I hate awkward situations and this situation right now spells awkward all over. I felt so annoyed at myself.

 

Kai laughed, and I realized it was because I showed my frustration all over my face.

 

“What’s your surname?” he asked curiously, peering at me.

 

“Lee.” I answered. “Chloe Lee.”

 

“클로이리” Jongin reiterated. I smiled. It sounds really nice to hear him say my name, and I realized I was being a total fan girl now, smiling idiotically at him.

 

Toby entered noisily at that moment, and I found myself more annoyed than relieved that he came in at that moment.

 

“Here you guys go.” He said, tossing two cans towards us. Jongin caught both, and showed it to me. “Ladies first.” He smiled. I couldn’t hold back the smile that formed on my face – Jongin has that effect on me; before I quickly dropped the smile so as not to look too much like an idiot.

 

“This.” I said, grabbing the can in his right hand. “I liked the left anyway.” He laughed cheekily, before handing the right one to me.

 

“Already close?” Toby interjected, laughing. “Isn’t Jongin normally shy around girls?”

 

“Ya, why do you have to say that.” Jongin laughed. “I’m a lot better now, I’m improving! It’s been two years since my debut.”

 

I smiled watching their banter – I could tell both teacher and student adored each other. I shook my head, feeling a slight sense of betrayal. Toby knew I idolized Kai and wanted to dance like him, but yet he has never ever told me before that he knew him on a personal level?

 

I sat down on the floor, trying to accept the reality of the situation I’m in right now.

 

What was Kai doing in Singapore? And what are the other EXO members doing right now? Is he the only one overseas?

 

I watched him smile the way he usually does, with the effect of brightening the entire room, and I smiled with him, before my own smile faltered.

 

He’s always smiling that way, but after all that has happened recently in the past six months, was he and the other members really okay?

 

Or are they all just putting a strong front and masking their true feelings?

 

My drink suddenly didn’t taste as refreshing anymore, and I just watched silently from where I sat, hoping that what I had imagined of their situation so far isn’t really as bad as it is in reality…

 

-------------------------------------------------------------