One

STAGED

“1,2,3,4 and 5,6,7,8 and STOP!” Toby shouted, clenching his right fist in the air as the music was cued off.

 

Squatting down on the floor, I hastily wiped away the sweat dripping down the sides of my face with a towel as I waited for the comments by my dance instructor.

 

“Better, Chloe. Much sharper, and your timing was also better. Avoid looking too hasty though, you were rushing some of the steps.” Toby said. “We’d take a break.”

 

I nodded, pulling myself up from the floor to grab a drink outside.

 

Outside the studio, the cool air that greeted me was a refreshing one after having been under the air-conditioned one for nearly the whole day. Humming to myself, I danced along the hallway as I headed to where the vending machines were.

 

“Five, six, seven, eight.” I chanted to myself as I twirled in a circle, arms in the air as I coordinated my movements. “And then one, two, three, argh-” I exclaimed in surprised as I collided headfirst into someone.

 

A pair of arms stretched out and steadied me by the shoulders, and I looked up at the person as I apologized. “I’m so sorry,” I started, embarrassed, “I was too engrossed in dancing…”

 

The first thing I observed of the person I had so carelessly bumped into was that he was really tall – I only barely reached his shoulders – but his facial features were partially covered by a pair of sunglasses he was wearing. He laughed good-naturedly, a genuine smile framing his face as he replied, “Yeah I can see that.”

 

His voice was deep, holding an amused tone as he regarded me. I blushed slightly, side-stepping him as I excused myself, “ Well then I’ll be going. Sorry once again.”

 

I was barely two steps away when the handsome stranger called out to me, from behind “Hold on.”

 

I turned, confused. Did I perhaps drop something?

 

“Are you a student of this school?” He asked.

 

I nodded.

 

 

 

“That’s great, it’s been a while since I came, and the school structure has changed so much in the short few years. I’m a little lost. Do you perhaps know Toby? He teaches here.”

 

I nodded, surprised. “He’s my dance instructor.”

 

“Oh is he?” Now it was the stranger’s turn to be surprised, before a handsome smile adorned his face once more. “Do you know where he might be now? Is he in school?”

 

“Yeah he is, he should be in the staff room now.” I said. “It’s just down the corridor to your right.” I pointed.

 

“Thank you so much.” The stranger nodded politely, before making his way down the corridor.

 

---

 

Finishing the last of my drink, I got ready to head back to class. Break was only half an hour long. Peering down the corridor where the stranger headed towards, curiosity got the better of me and I walked towards the staff room to see if he was still there. They were at Toby’s desk, chatting and laughing away like old friends.

 

Was he an ex-colleague? An old friend? I wondered as I headed back to the studio to wait for practice to start.

 

---

 

I was doing sit-ups when Toby re-entered a few minutes later, with the handsome stranger a couple steps behind him, following behind. I sat up in surprise and stood up.

 

“Chloe, why don’t you dance the duet routine that I taught you this morning with him?” Toby suggested, a slight twinkle in his eyes.

 

“But I still haven’t fully gotten the steps right.” I protested, slightly nervous at the thought of having to dance a duet dance with someone I had only just seen today. “And does he already know the moves?” I asked, confused. What’s going on?

 

 

“He sure does.” Toby laughed, amused by my confused and flustered self, “This choreo was made for him in the first place so many years ago anyway.”

 

The original dancer? I turned to look at the stranger, seeing him in a different light. So he dances as well! Was he perhaps a famous dancer I have once seen before? Now that this was mentioned there was something about him that was oddly familiar…

 

“It’s been so long since I did that.” He laughed. “I missed it, such memories.”

 

The stranger put down his bag, sweeping his bangs out of his face as he removed his sunglasses.

 

He turned around and smiled at me, in a smile as captivating as I remembered it a few moments ago.

 

My mouth fell open in shock. I recognize that face – those half-moon eyes, straight nose, wide smile and full lips, set on a chiseled and angular face shape. The light copper brown tan of his skin was also unmistakable.

 

“Ah, I forgot to introduce again, how rude of me.” Toby said. “This is Chloe,” he said, gesturing in my direction. “And Chloe, meet Kai.”

 

 

----------------------------------------