A Plan

A Slip of the Tongue

It had been one week since Taeyeon's trip to Monarch.  One week of confusion and anxiety.  One week of coming up with excuses to not meet Tiffany for coffee, or a movie, or brunch.  One week of rolling scenarios around in her head, grasping at every straw, every possibility—and impossibility.  She had reached the point where she was seriously considering if it was actually Tiffany that she saw; maybe there was another girl who looked just like her, wearing the same dress?  Maybe Tiffany's mind had been momentarily abducted by aliens.  Maybe someone had slipped something into Taeyeon's drink, and she just had an extremely vivid hallucination.

She knew it was all bull.  But what was she supposed to do about it?  Probably just get over it like Sunny and Sooyoung appeared to have done already.  That would have been the mature, logical thing to do.  Kisses happen.  Drunken groping happens.  It didn't have to mean anything.  But Taeyeon found logic faltered when it came to Tiffany.

"… Pyogenic cocci are spherical bacteria that cause various suppurative infections …"  The professor's monotone buzzed like a fly in her ears; she brushed it away.  Over and over, a line ran like a news ticker in her thoughts:  "What if it was me dancing with her instead?"  Would Tiffany, intoxicated and losing her inhibitions, have kissed her instead?  Or was it the allure of a stranger that thrilled her?  The lack of consequences?  Could she have thrown caution to the wind with Taeyeon?

"… Gram-positive… Streptococcus pyogenes … Streptococcus pneumonia…"  Maybe she could go to Monarch again with Tiffany, keep the drinks flowing, get on the dance floor, see what happened?  That was ethically dubious.  No, not ethically dubious.  Getting her friend drunk in hopes of making out with her (or more, she was forced to admit) was ing shady.  Maybe she would deal with the ramifications later.  Like after it was over.

"Taeyeon?"  Oh, .  She looked up to see thirty pairs of eyes turned towards her.  The professor crossed his arms and cocked his eyebrows.

Taeyeon laid honey on her voice.  "I’m sorry, I missed the question."  She gave what she hoped was an endearing, apologetic smile.

"An example of Gram-negative cocci…?"

"Neisseria meningitides."  Taeyeon could have laughed as her correct answer clouded the professor’s face with disappointment.  She was going to text Tiffany tonight, she decided.