Final

Unexpected Intruder

“Oh my god, did you just see that?” I burst out into laughter as the video continued.

“I still don’t understand why this is so amusing to you” Muttered Chen, who was lying on the couch next to me. “Crazy girl…” He added.

“Well you know what? You just don’t have a good sense of humor!” I countered.

“Oh really. Me? No sense of humor? In case you haven’t heard, I am known as the troll and jokester of the mega-hit group EXO. The name Kim Jondae and ‘Humor’ go hand in hand. So, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I rolled my eyes at his cocky response. “Whatever” I mumbled in defeat. A smug smirk flashed across his face, signifying his victory in the argument.

“You know what? Let me pick a video this time. I’ll show you what real comedy is.” He pulled himself into a sitting position beside me, and took the laptop from my hands, placing it on his own lap. “Don’t look at what I’m typing, it’s a surprise!” He grinned at me, and turned the laptop away from me as he continued to type in the search box. “Okay, here it is” Chen angled the screen so that both of us could see, and then pressed play. As he enlarged the screen, the video displayed a brunette girl walking into a dimly lit bathroom, holding a pack of matches, along with a box of mini candles. One by one, she positioned the orange-white candles on the marble counter top until they sat in a line. “How is this funny…” I interrupted.

“Shhh just watch.” Chen hushed me as he sealed my lips shut with his fingers. Meanwhile in the video, the girl had struck a match, and was lighting each of the candles. Once all the candles were lit, she proceeded to flicking off the fluorescent bathroom lights. As the bathroom fell into darkness and the camera’s lens adjusted to the low light, the small glowing flames on the smoldering on the candles illuminated the room, casting its orange rays across the mirror and walls. As the girl moved towards the mirror, I would see the dark outline of her reflection. She paused for a few short moments, and after a dreadful silence, she began to chant in a voice, which raised the hairs on my arms. She almost sounded as if she were possessed by the devil. “Bloody Mary…Bloody Mary…Bloody Mary…” She rasped, sending shivers down my spine. The audio remained pin drop silent for about ten seconds, and I was praying that it would be the end of the video. But as expected, it wasn’t. After several more horrifying moments that felt like hours, a blood curdling scream sounded throughout the room, causing me to jerk back in shock. Unable to watch the rest of the terrible video, I squealed and jumped off the couch. “Another soul joins us…” A soft yet terrifying voice croaked. And finally, the supposedly “humorous” video was over. Chen let out a guffaw, burying his face in his large hands. “You should have seen your face!” He cruelly imitated me by widening his eyes like an owl and screaming like a little girl.

“Mr. Kim! That was not very nice of you! You know I hate that kind of stuff!” I exclaimed, still shaking with fear.

“Haha, that was absolutely hilarious!” He chuckled, adjusting his red snapback. I shot another glare at him so that he would stop laughing. “You’re supposed to be my best friend, not the cause of my night mares!” I snapped. Finally done cracking up like the idiot he was, Chen got up from the leather couch and made his way over to me. Wrapping his arms around my torso in a warm hug, he whispered, “I’m sorry…” He buried his face in my long hair, and I could smell the light scent of his cologne. I attempted to stay angry, but I felt the slightest of smiles creeping up on my face. “Oh, screw you and you’re charming seductive voice.” I mumbled, wrapping my thin arms around his waist. Lost in the moment of affection, I was shocked once more when the lights in the house flickered out. Chen and I broke apart from the hug, and I looked up at him. “Oh crap…power outage.” I shook my head, trying hard not to shake with nervousness. “I think I’ll go grab a flashlight from the kitchen.” I started to walk away, but was stopped as Chen grabbed my forearm. “Wait.” He glanced sideways. “If this is a power outage, why did your laptop turn off? It wasn’t connected to a power outlet, and I’m pretty sure it had at least 60 percent battery life left. It shouldn’t have died out like that.” His dark brown eyes clouded with confusion as he tried to make sense of the situation.

“Hm…that’s very peculiar.” My voice shook with every word. I gasped as I loud screeching noise echoed throughout the house. It sounded like the noise a violin makes when you rub the bow on the area between the bridge and the fine tuners. Whatever it was, I was absolutely terrified. The house remained pitch black, and I could have sworn I heard someone whisper, “Come in, children…”

“Chen, is this one of your stupid pranks? If it is, this is not cool. Not cool at all.” My voice came out as a mere whisper. As the terrible noise continued to pierce my eardrums, I clung onto Chen’s arm, frozen with fear. I could feel the tenseness in his muscles, telling me that it really wasn’t one of his jokes. Something was really happening. Before I started to imagine the different scenarios in my mind, I summoned all the common sense I could find at the moment. “We need to get out, now.” I said assertively. I was on the verge of of sprinting towards the front door, when I felt the heat of Chen’s arm disappear under my hand. His sudden absence sent chills all throughout my body. “Chen?” I called out nervously.

“Help…” It didn’t take ma more than a second to recognize his voice. Running in the direction from which I heard his voice, ignoring all the common sense which I had gained earlier, I was stopped by the blinding light coming from one of the bedrooms. Without thinking twice, I rushed into the room. Though there was light shining from the room, it happened to be pitch black inside. As my eyes adjusted to the low light, someone whispered, “Glad you could join us, honeybunches.” I saw a dark hooded figure standing in the center of the room. Just like in those cheesy horror movies, I noticed that he held Chen in a tight headlock, bearing a large Santoku knife above his chest. “Say goodbye to your little boyfriend” The figure rasped, before plunging the knife into Chen’s chest. He let out a strangled gasp as he collapsed to the hardwood floor, blood seeping through his white shirt, the crimson pigment forming a pool around his upper body, wetting his black hair. “Chen!” I screeched, running over to his side. “Saranghaeyo…” He whispered before his eyes glazed over, and his body fell limply on the floor. Before I could shed a single tear, I felt an agonizing pain in my side as the dark figure drove the same knife into my body. “I’ll see you on the other side, Chen…” was all I could manage before crashing down next to him.