※ c h a p t e r # 1

※ 완벽하게 // t h e . p e r f e c t . m a t c h.

CHAPTER ONE

 

THIRD teaser

HEADER LEFT


— Seoul, South Korea. July 17, 2015.

   

Hyerin tries to hide her dissapointment when she walks into the apartment as sees her mother's fiance on his cell phone. His uniform is still on, holster spead across the dinning room table. He gives her a quick acknowledgement before ending his phone call.

"Trouble at the station?" Hyerin asks, putting her bag down next to the door. Her mother will scold her for leaving her things around, but Hyerin could care less at the moment.

Junghoon sighs as he takes a seat at one of the dinning room chairs, shaking his head. "You'd think people would know what a 'day off' means."

"Someone needs to handle the herds of traffic violaters and juvenile deliquents," Hyerin replies, not bothering to hide the bitter tone in her voice. "Our national police's good name is on the line."  She unpacks her laptop and passes by Junghoon to the kitchen, deciding that five in the evening is a good time for a bowl of ice cream. She can feel Junghoon's gaze on her, but says nothing.

Junghoon clears his throat. "You aren't going shopping with your mother?"

"You'd think after three marriages a woman has seen all of the wedding dresses in Gangnam." 

She's not in the mood for compromise today.

"Okay..." Junghoon mutters, and thankfully says nothing else as Hyerin fixes her ice cream dinner. She's just about to head to her bedroom when Junghoon calls out, "Oh, hold one a second!"

Hyerin whines from the back of
. What do I need to do for some alone time around here

"What?" she calls, balancing the bowl of ice cream on top of her laptop as she walks back to Junghoon. The man flips through a stack of envelopes - the mail, most likely - and pulls out a white envelope. He puts it on top of her ice cream bowl. 

"That's for you. No return address," he says, shrugging his shoulders. "Looks like an invitation."

"Great..." Hyerin mutters as a way of thanks, turning on her heels and walking toward her room. She doesn't make it five feet before she hears, "Hyerin..." She whines again, turning her head back to Junghoon. It takes a few seconds for him to speak. "I really love your mother," he says, softer than what Hyerin expected. "I hope you know that." 

There it is again.
Love.  She doesn't even say anything as she walks away, this time ignoring Junghoon's calls after her. She slams her door, hoping Junghoon gets the message that she's not in the mood to talk. After gingerly dropping her laptop and bowl on her desk, she flops face first on her bed, swearing into the sheets. She feels slightly bad for Junghoon - he's a nice guy, really. In any other circumstance Hyerin may have liked him. But here he is, about to become the fourth husband to Kim Soori - a woman twelve years his senior. 

Hyerin's mother claimed she loved Hyerin's father. Then her second husband. Later her third. Now Junghoon. Hyerin gives her six months before she "falls in love" with a different man. It's happened before, and Hyerin suspects it won't be the last time. Taking a deep breath of cotton and fabric softener, Hyerin pushes herself up from her bed to sit down at her desk. She may as well try to get some writing in before her mother gets home. At least it'll keep her mind off the wedding.

She's pleasantly surprised to get a good amount of research done by the time she hears her mother walk through the door. She can hear Junghoon and her mother softly talk through her door, and Hyerin has no doubt that she will get an earful about her tirade from earlier. She sighs and pushes her laptop away, rubbing her eyes. A shower sounds good. And an actual meal. 

She gets up from her desk and picks up the empty bowl, stepping around her chair when her foot lands on the white envelope from eariler. She had almost forgotten. She bends down and picks it up, ripping the top open with her free hand. She balances the bowl against her side as she pulls out a thin piece of cardstock and what appears to be a business card.

It's not an invitation, she notices. There's one paragraph printed on the card, reading:


Dear Ms. Baek Hyerin,

I am pleased to announce that you have been selected as a match for one of our singles! Congratulations on finding your match! I am looking forward to working with you as you begin your journey. All necessary information regarding move-in dates, expectations while under contract, and - most importantly - information about your meeting with your match will be sent to you within the week.

Congratulations once again!
The Matchmaker
 


She looks down at the business card. Two words are written down:

 Kim Minseok

"....Oh you have got to be ting me."  

author's note

 

Ahahaha and so it begins~ 
so sidenote I somehow accidentaly deleted the teaser for Hyerin...and I'm too lazy to rewrite it XD