Chapter 4

Surrounded By Danger

The scary look in his eyes faded away as they left their place to his normal kind look.

“The reason we gathered today is… Well, simple!” He was looking at me. I felt my body tensing up. “To introduce ourselves –officially- to our guest.”

Oh!’ I thought, ‘That caught me. I thought it would something… scarier?

“So let’s start with Jin and go around. Remember to introduce yourself properly.”

The kind twin said, smiling once again. Jin turned around, now facing me.

“My name is Jin. I am 17 years old, basically you can say that I’m the maknae[1], oh sorry, I meant the youngest of the group.” He said in a bright tone.

I was glad that he seemed friendly; at least I could get along with one of them.

Wait! Why am I even thinking of getting along? I am leaving today and I probably would never see them again’ I thought but why did my words sound so familiar?

“Oh! Also, I’m Korean- American” he added suddenly.

No way! He is Korean?’ I was now fascinated by the thought of them all being Korean, or at least Asian… That would definitely make my dreams come true! I was so excited on the inside; of course I kept my calmness on the outside.

“Hello, my name is Hiroyuki Hara. I’m 18 years old and I’m Japanese.”

I stopped myself from letting out a smile. Gosh! First a Korean, now a Japanese? What is this place? A heaven maybe? Anyway, I totally like this place! Wait ‘like’?!

“Hello, I’m Renjiro Miya. But everyone calls me Ren. I’m also from Japan. Oh, and I’m 18.”

‘Another Japanese? If they are all Asians, will I be able to leave them?’

 Then my mind scolded me. ‘Stupid! Stop thinking such things. It’s not like you want to stay, right?’

I couldn’t answer.

“Hi. I’m Wei Xing. I am 19 and Chinese.”

Great! Now a Chinese...

The kind twin smiled at them as they finished introducing themselves. Then he looked at me and spoke.

“My name is Jae-Hyuk Jeong and this is my twin Dae-Jung Jeong. We’re 21 years old, the oldest ones here. And we’re Koreans.”

I just nodded, not having any intention to show my excitement.

‘They’re all Asians! This must be a dream… Seriously!’

“Also I hope it won’t be hard for you to remember our names. So, what’s your name?” he added.

“Uhmm… I’m Hana Yeo and I’m 18 years old.” I said shyly.

“And where are you from noona[2]?” Jin asked curiously.

Haha! Noona? Strangely, it’s so nice to hear!’ I smiled.

“Well, I was born in France and lived there before I came here to England. But my parents were British.”

Jin seemed really excited by my answer.

“France? Wow! I’ve always wanted to go there!”

I smiled at him, he was so cute.

“Jin” Dae-Jung’s cold but calm voice and eerie stare cut Jin’s excitement like an invisible knife. Jin turned his head to look at him. His smile faded as he bowed his head.

“Mianhaeyo[3], Dae-Jung hyung[4].

Everyone listens to the twins probably because they are the oldest’ I thought.

“So Hana-shi[5] -” Jae-Hyuk started but I interrupted him.

“Just Hana is fine.”

My voice came out confident but all I was feeling was embarrassment since everyone was looking at me with a surprised face. Jae-Hyuk just smiled like he always did and continued.

“So, Hana. Do you have anything to say before our meeting ends?”

Something to say? What does that supposed to mean? These people are certainly weird.’ I thought but then I realized that I could take this chance to thank them for everything they have done.

“Actually, I…”

I took a deep breath before I continued.

“I really want to thank you all for everything you’ve done. I don’t really rem-remember what exactly happened after you guys came so, uhmm I don’t really know how –or if- you helped me. But it doesn’t matter anyway. I’m so glad that you let me stay. Thank you so much” I said while bowing, with some tears forming in my eyes.

Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up and saw Wei smiling at me with a reassuring smile.

“Xie xie[6]” I whispered.

His eyes widened. “You know Chinese?”

I giggled, I liked to surprise people.

“Just a little… I mean a few words actually.”

“What other languages do you know?” Ren asked.

I was surprised to see that everyone looked interested what I was going to say. Even Dae-Jung.

“I-I know a little bit French and Russian. I know Turkish. Also, I can speak a little bit of Korean as well as Japanese. I know how to write and read in both Korean and Japanese, except for Kanji. And a few words in Chinese, just like I said before.” I answered shyly.

“Wow!” Jae-Hyuk said. “This is so -”

“Interesting” Dae-Jung completed calmly, his eyes fixed on me.

Everyone turned and looked at him, looking a bit surprised and confused. Even Jae-Hyuk was caught off guard. He looked at his brother for a moment.

“Ye-Yes… Interesting.” He smiled but it faded away quick.

There was a small silence as if no one found anything to say. Jin, being the naïve one, broke the silence.

“Noona, are you going to go now?” he asked me with a sad face.

Oh right… I have to leave…’ I must’ve forgotten the fact that I have to leave due to the atmosphere.

“Yeah, I think I’m going to do that…”

I talked while lowering my eyes to the ground. I took a breath and stood up.

“Again, thank you for everything.” I said looking at them one by one.

“Can someone take Hana home?” asked Jae-Hyuk. “Because I need things to talk with my brother”

“No need, I can go home by myself”

“Do you know where we are right now?” he asked calmly. I shook my head slowly

“Then I suggest you to take my offer.” He said while slightly smiling. His eyes had that scary feeling like before. I couldn’t say anything.

“I’ll take her, hyung!” Jin said enthusiastically.

“Ok Jin, go ahead” Jae-Hyuk said.

“Jinjjayo[7]?” Jin seemed surprised as if he believed that he would be rejected but he jumped off of his seat happily anyway. He came next to me and held my hand.

“Let’s go Hana Noona” he said as he pulled me towards the door.

We started walking in the streets that were unfamiliar to me. Jin had let go of my hand when he saw that I was kind of embarrassed. But hey! It’s not my fault, I’ve never held a boy’s hand before… neither of us talked until I broke the silence.

“Jin –Wait, I can call you Jin right?”

Jin laughed.

“Of course, what else were going to call me?” I also laughed.

“Yeah, you’re right. Anyway, can I ask you something?”

“Sure, noona.” He said looking at me.

“Do you follow the twins’ words because they are the oldest in the group?” I asked hesitantly.

“That and the fact that they are our leaders. To be more accurate, Dae-Jung hyung is our leader even though Jae-Hyuk hyung handles most of the things for him.”

“Interesting” I said “But why?”

“We don’t really know but we accepted the things as they are. We all have different roles in the group actually.”

I was surprised “Really? What’s your role then?”

“Well, I don’t have much of a role and work since I’m the maknae. I sometimes help the main things if my hyungs need help but like I said, sometimes. Usually they don’t let me handle things, that’s why I was surprised when Jae-Hyuk said ‘Ok’ to me taking you home; that doesn’t happen every day.”

“Must be hard to be the maknae, huh?”

Jin thought for a moment before answering.

“It has its own advantages. For example, I don’t ever buy the food, my hyungs buy me if I do some aegyo[8].”

I laughed. “So those are actually true?”

“Mwogayo, noona? I mean, what do you mean?”

“Youngers of the group making their older ones to buy things with aegyo?”

He laughed sweetly. “You’re funny noona. I like you.”

He talked looking at me and I smiled at his innocent look in his eyes.

“By the way noona, I actually never asked and you never told me… Where is your house?”

We looked at each other and realized that we had forgotten to head to my house. Soon enough we both were laughing like crazy.

“This was certainly funny and dumb” he said.

“Yep, I agree… Uhmm my house should a few blocks away from here”

We walked together to my house while getting to know more about each other.

“So noona, you said that you are from Winterbrook High School of Arts, right?”

I nodded “Yep” I added while popping the ‘p’ sounds. Jin giggled.

“That’s great news noona!” he said happily.

“Why” I asked curiously.

He just smiled. “You’ll be quite surprised Hana noona.’ He said mysteriously.

“Hey! What is it?” I asked while nudging his shoulder. He made a gesture like he’s zipping his mouth.

“I won’t say anything!” he shouted playfully. I laughed.

“But Jin… Noona is offended” I said while doing a cute pose.

He put his finger on my forehead and slowly pushed it.

“Aegyo won’t trick me noona!” I smiled.

“At least I tried.” We kept on laughing until I saw my house a few meters away. “Ah, there it is, my house.” I said pointing at it.

He followed my finger and his eyes widened as he saw where I was pointing at.

“Here? You live here, noona?” I nodded and he continued. “But this is basically… A mansion! Are your parents rich or famous maybe?” He seemed amazed.

“Haha, funny but no. My parents… uhmm they passed away years ago. I live alone in this house which my aunt forcibly bought it because of my mom’s will”

I answered lowering my head. Jin walked right in front of me. He held up my chin with his hand.

What a manly move. Maybe Jin is not all about cuteness after all

“Mianhae, you know it was only a joke right?” he said sincerely.

“Yeah.” was what I could only say while looking at his eyes. He smiled.

“Good… Noona. Then see you later” he said. He started leaning in and I closed my eyes. I heard him letting out a small chuckle and I felt his lips on my cheek.

‘Phew, I thought he was going to kiss me…’ I looked at him- ‘Wait a second, see you later? What?’

I was about to ask but he already started to walk away. I watched his silhouette disappearing from my sight.

I got into my house with hundreds of questions on my mind. I thought about them… Dae-Jung’s cold stare, Jae-Hyuk’s mostly-sweet personality, Jin’s sweet kiss, the other hot Asian guys… seriously, it was hard to gather up my mind after I met 6 handsome young men. They seemed cooler than the first time I saw them. By the way, did I say that they were very handsome? Well…

“Ahh! I think I’m going to go crazy” I said aloud as I threw myself on my bed. I lied there for a moment without doing anything but thinking. “Ahh!” I yelled as I put the pillow on my face.

Then all of a sudden a thought struck my mind and I quickly moved to a sitting position.

‘Oh no!’ I thought while looking at my clothes to confirm what came to my mind.

‘OH NO!’ I thought once again. “His clothes! I still wear them!” I said aloud. I must’ve forgotten about them since they were really comfortable.

‘Now what I’m going to do? I have to give them back!’

I sighed heavily.

“Seriously, these boys…"

 

[1] The youngest member of a Korean group is called the maknae

[2] Korean boys call their older sisters ‘noona’

[3] Means ‘I’m sorry’. The ‘yo’ part makes the word more formal.

[4] Korean boys call their older brothers ‘hyung’

[5] A name-shi means Mr. or Ms.

[6] In chinese means ‘Thank you’

[7] In Korean means ‘Really?’

[8] Aegyo is a korean word used for the situations when the person acts cute