Chapter 2

Surrounded By Danger

"Hey, where are you?” I asked on the phone.

Me and Rachel (my best friend) to meet outside since she mesagged me, saying that the weather was too nice to meet at her house.

“I can’t see you... Oh! There!”

I waved at her as she entered the cafe. I hugged her and we sat down. We started planning our day. Every weekend- almost every- we would meet and do different fun things. Today we planned to go to karaoke and then the cinema. But first, we drank our coffees as usual! We sat there for a while, enjoying our time together. After we finished drinking, we moved on with the karaoke. We both enjoyed singing -even though I was not good at it- so we had so much fun. Next, we went to the cinema to see the new film that was on our ‘Must Be Watched’ list. It was 10.45 p.m when we got out of cinema.

“Oh no!” Rachel said, looking at her watch. “I promised to be back by 11 p.m.”

I smiled reassuringly.

“If you go now, you can still keep your promise.”

She looked at me apologetically.

“But you’ll have to go home alone...”

 “Don’t worry, either way we were going to part our ways at some point. I’ll be fine.” I giggled. “I swear, I memorized my address so I won’t get lost, mom.”

She laughed before hugging me.

“Just be careful, ok? You’ll never know what can happen... I’ll be going now, love ya!”

She paced to the subway station which was only few meters away. I smiled to myself as I watched her leave. Then I turned around and sett off towards my home.

So... I was left alone. Not that I was afraid of being alone at this hour, but I just didn’t like it. Plus, I needed to go through empty, narrow streets on my way back so it made my discomfort even greater. Those streets were kind of... You know, scary! There are no people around in those streets and even the lights are fewer. I hugged myself.

Gosh, I am just making myself more scared.

Putting all my thoughts aside, I felt that something was really not right. Having my heart pound quicker than usual, I quickened my pace. I turned around the corner and I realized that I was supposed to go the other way as this was the dead-end street. I turned back, only to bump into someone. I looked up to see that it was some drunk guy. He suddenly grabbed my wrists and pushed me to the wall.

“Hey beautiful, you look like you need some fun.”

His smile reminded me of devil.

“Disgusting!”

I yelled at him as I pushed him back. Despite my confident tone, I felt so frightened.

What if he tries to do something?’ was what I thought.

My heartbeats were even faster than before. He smirked at my reaction.

“Feisty, aren’t we?”

He came closer and held my wrists once again before I could escape.

“Just one kiss would be enough babe!” he said, leaning in.

I quickly freed my hand and slapped him hard.

“Get away from me jerk!”

He lost his balance and took 2-3 steps back unwittingly. Holding the cheek I slapped him, he yelled.

“How dare you?!”

He cursed at me with his eyes burning with anger. I took this my cue to run away but he agressively pulled me back and trapped me between his arms. I swung my punch as I screamed.

“Get away from me!”

To my unfourtunate he caught my arm and pulled it towards the ground, making me fall. I fell hard and I could feel the pain coming from the wounds that happened because of it.

“Ouch!” I whimpered.

He got on me, pressing his body against mine. He smirked.

“You haven’t tasted what a real pain feels like... YET! Don’t worry, I’ll show you.”

My eyes widened as I understood what he meant. I tried to punch him but he took my arms between his legs, making it impossible to move. I screamed at him, cursed at him but he didn’t stop. He started to my blouse as I helplessly yelled for any help. I closed my eyes, hoping to wake up from this nightmare. I just cried, no more trying to defend myself.

All of sudden, I felt that the weight on me disappeared. I opened my eyes to see what happened. I saw that some boys were beating the drunk guy and pushing him away from me. I managed to lift my body up but I didn’t have the strength to get up. The tears kept on coming and I was having a hard time to understand what was going on. Someone approached to me and knelt down. The person lifted my chin gently, I just looked at him, too scared to move.

He seems familiar’ I thought as he tilted his head to both sides.

I tried to figure out who he was while examined me with a concerned look on his face. Then, he looked at my clothes and took off his jacket, putting it on me. He started to button his jacket and I realized that he was trying to cover my clothes, which were a mess. My blouse was half ed and my skirt was half ripped. Thank god, it wasn’t showing anything. I lifted my head and looked at him again. Now he was joined by another boy. Oh! Now I get who they are! They’re the twins I saw the other day.

“Can you walk?” one of them asked.

I was thinking the reason they were here as I nodded weakly. They both helped me to get up. However, as soon as I got up I lost my balance. They held me before I fell.

“Brother?” said one of them.

The other one nodded and he took me in his arms. I tried to speak as he started walking but words didn’t come out. He pulled me closer as he saw me trying to say something.

“It’s ok. You don’t have to talk. Just cry, if it is going to make you feel better.”

So I cried, while closing my eyes to get away from this horrible night. “Mianhae[1]...” was the last thing I heard before I fell asleep; even though I’m not even sure if that happened...

 

[1] Means ‘I’m sorry’ in korean