Chapter 1

Surrounded By Danger

“So how did you answer him?” I asked my best friend  curiously. “Well, actually... I didn’t. I couldn’t” she said while blushing a little.

 She sighed before adding  “Because the bell rang before I could.”

I started to laugh like crazy.

“Gosh, what’s wrong with you and the school bell?”

I shook my head pointlessly “Whenever you have something important to say, the bell rings.”

She joined my laughter.  

“I know right?”

We continued to smile as we rushed to our last class of the day;  actually of the week. It’s history... Wow, so fun! Tsch! I hate this subject, but at least I get to rest a little bit. I smiled to myself- you’ll see what I mean. As soon as we sat down and the bell rang,  my best friend leaned over and whispered.

“3,2,1... Here we go!”

I grinned as she raised her hand. Our teacher, who was talking about the ottoman empire's history, stopped mid-sentence.

“Yes? Do you have a question Ms. Jensen?

She stood up and asked “I was just wondering, what if the Ottoman Empire hadn’t been invaded by the Europians? What would happen then?”

Our teacher smiled as he said “Excellent question as always Ms. Jensen”

Then he started on a lengthy talk to answer the question.  I giggled as my best friend winked at me secretly. She is the master of asking questions that distracts the teacher from the main point. She does that... EVERY SINGLE LESSON! Isn’t it amazing? It’s hilarious that her plan worked one again and the class ended. We only wrote... 5 WORDS! I laughed, this must be the record! We high fived before heading out. Still laughing about the lesson of course...

“Finally, the weekend! I missed it!” I said happily. “This was a long week!”

She laughed “My dearest friend, you say this every Friday!”

I joined her laughter. “You know I don’t really mean it.”

“Yeah, yeah!” she said, nudging me with her shoulder playfully.

When we reached the bus stop- which was only 5 min from our school- we stopped.

“So you’re coming to my house tomorrow, right?” she asked me. “Yep, I’ll be there at 1 p.m”

She nodded

“Ok, see you at 1 o’clock then!”

We hugged each other and she got on the bus. I watched it leave before I started walking.

It’s a nice day’ I thought.

I looked at my watch, “It is only 3 o’clock” I said to myself.

I really didn’t want to go home so I decided to go to the park which was 15min from my house and only a minute away from where i was. So I put my headphones on and opened my music list to play. Mostly, my phone had Korean, Japanese or Chinese Pop; since I was obsessed with it. I just couldn’t help it, I loved it so much. Their voices, looks, talents... I was in love with Asia and everything about it. I had a weakness for them. Anyway...moving on...

When I arrived at the park, I looked around to choose a good place to sit. Instead of sitting on a bench, I thought it would be more comfortable to sit on the grass. I put my bag on the ground and sat down, leaning on a tree. I examined my surroundings. I realized that the view was quite amazing. I took my sketchbook out from my bag and started drawing the scenenary while listening to my favourite songs - it was very relaxing.

I continued drawing for a while but i lost focus when a group of people entered the park. There were 5- no, 6 people and they were all boys. The first thing that caught my attention was their clothing. There were a few differences in the designs however, they all wore black. Personally, i thought it was really cool even though other people may see them as weird or dangerous.

I continued to examine them as my eyes moved from their clothes to their faces. OMG! They were so... I hate to admit it but they were so freakin’ handsome. Like seriously! All of them! You could probably understand what i meant if i said they had slanted eyes: which could mean only one thing for me!

I was so drawn in by them that i almost didn’t realise how awkward it would be if they caught me staring at them. But can’t a girl daydream about handsome boys? Plus, I couldn’t take my eyes off of them so I did the only logical thing to do: kept watching! Hehe, maybe it wasn’t so logical after all. Anyway...

The boys seemed to be doing different things. Three of them were just playing and joking around with each other. The other two were telling something to each other- something funny since they were laughing- and the last one... Well, he was just walking at the back of the group. He didn’t talk or do anyting. Ah! Only staring coldly to the ground- if you count that as doing something. He had that scary aura around him.

The boys came closer and closer. Then they decided to sit on the bench which was only 10 meters away from me. Two of them sat on the bench and the others on the grass. They they started playing and talking again while being seated. I kept staring until I decided to make this moment last forever. I grabbed my pencil which laid on the grass and started sketching them. They formed a perfect portrait. While I drew I realized, sitting on the bench were twins, one of them was the boy that walked alone earlier. I notice some weird things... But as this thought crossed my mind, the boy with the icy glare shifted his gaze to me. His action was followed by his twin. As we looked into each other, I got really nervous. i suddenly felt so awkward i had to turn my eyes away and down to my sketchbook. I started pretending to draw. I couldnt get my mind off of that group. I heard them laughing loudly but I didn’t dare to look at them again.

Checking my watch, I noticed it was almost 5pm so i got up and carefully put my things inside my bag before I started to head home. It was in the opposite direction from the boys sitting on the bench. Thinking that it would be very odd to look back at them once more, I kept walking. I admit, I was kind of sad, knowing that I would never see them again. Well, I guess that’s how life works...

I arrived at my house, still thinking of them. While I lied on my bed, the images of that nice moment I shared with the twins came into my head. I  blushed slightly. Closing my eyes, I thought: ‘Those 3 seconds were the longest seconds ever.