Chapter 7

Feeling Foreign at a Funeral

A few weeks later, school is starting. Or rather university is starting for Kyungsoo and the rest of Jongin's friends. Jongin hadn't seen Kyungsoo since their first date. He had gone on his family’s yearly trip to Korea for the last two weeks before school starts. They messaged on Facebook and Kakaotalk every day for the time that Kyungsoo was gone but Jongin still missed him desperately. Jongin isn’t sure why he felt so strongly about the boy already but he did and he decided to accept that.

Kyungsoo is arriving back today and Jongin was tempted to go to meet him at the airport but he figured that he’s probably jetlagged and in need of some rest. He probably won’t be able to give Jongin the attention he needs right now. Jongin realized during the break that he never had the chance to ask Kyungsoo to be official with him, to be his boyfriend. Jongin is somehow afraid of this word but he knows he has to ask him. Kyungsoo is going to school soon and at school there are lots of other bigger, buffer, older, better-looking men that Kyungsoo could ditch him for. Jongin wouldn’t have that.

So Jongin gives Kyungsoo some space to get ready for school and get over his jetlag for the next few days after he gets back.

From: SooLala

Jongin!

 

To: SooLala

Kyungsoo!

 

From: SooLala

You’re being weird… hi. Where have you been?

 

To: SooLala

Idk I just figured you needed to sleep and get ready for school and stuff

 

From: SooLala

Oh. I missed you though. I can do those things with you.

 

From: SooLala

I mean getting ready for school “and stuff” not the sleep part... *blushes*

 

To: SooLala

You’re adorable. And I missed you too. Can I walk you to class on your first day?

 

From: SooLala

I’m not adorable… and I guess so…

 

To: SooLala

What? You don’t want me to?

 

From: SooLala

NO! NO! Walk with me. I want you to…

 

To: SooLala

You like ellipsis (idk how to say the plural), don’t you?

 

From: SooLala

I guess so…

 

To: SooLala

 

From: SooLala

 

To: SooLala

…I’ll see you on Tuesday…Soomuffin

 

From: SooLala

OMG… that’s the worst pet name I’ve ever heard… Ugh you’re making me annoyed of my ellipsis

 

To: SooLala

Get used to it… Soobear…and it’s your fault. Bye bye

 

Jongin chuckles to himself at their cute conversation.

On Tuesday, he wakes up early enough to actually prepare himself to see Kyungsoo after almost three weeks. He needs to look his best for Kyungsoo and for those fools who might be trying to eye his hopefully soon-to-be boyfriend. Kyungsoo has to see that he’s the best out of all the guys he could choose from. He recognizes that he can’t look like he’s trying too hard though. College kids are never that dressed up. He needs to stand out but not look out of place.

He settles for another striped sweater with skinny jeans. He wears his usual plain white sneakers but today he styles his hair up with some gel into a clean side part. He decides that he looks good and then gets into his car to drive over to Kyungsoo’s house.

Kyungsoo also decided to try to look his best. He went for a similar outfit as well. A blue sweater with one white stripe across the middle, black jeans and white sneakers. They both are wearing outfits similar to the ones they wore for their first date. Kyungsoo points this out when he gets in Jongin’s car outside of his house.

“Good. You didn’t open the door for me,” Kyungsoo says as he closes the door.

“Oh my gosh, I completely forgot,” Jongin replies, unbuckling his seatbelt and getting ready to open his door. “I’m kidding.” Kyungsoo heaves a sigh of relief. “I told you I’d only do it in the beginning.”

Jongin re-buckles his seatbelt and then they get on their way to campus. Kyungsoo just stares out the window, admiring the scenery as they pass by. The silence isn’t awkward though. Jongin is also submerged in his thoughts about how to ask Kyungsoo to go steady with him. When they arrive, some people give them some looks. Jongin’s car is a little fancy to be on a college campus but it only boosts his ego. Jongin gets out of the car and Kyungsoo follows. Some girls nearby start whispering about Jongin but he ignores them. He walks around the vehicle to Kyungsoo and leans down to whisper in his ear.

“Can I hold your hand?” Kyungsoo looks up at Jongin and then nods, a pretty shade of pink flushing over his cheeks. Jongin takes hold of Kyungsoo’s hand and asks Kyungsoo which building he’s going to.

“Taber Hall,” Kyungsoo replies, feeling nervous and hands beginning to sweat. Jongin doesn’t seem to mind though when he steps up the curb and begins leading Kyungsoo in the right direction. Kyungsoo can see people looking at him and becomes a little bit self-conscious. He wonders if they are talking about him. Jongin notices his change in behavior.

“They’re just jealous that I have someone as hot as you on my arm,” Jongin assures him in a whisper and Kyungsoo blushes more. Jongin called him hot. He’s far from hot. Jongin is the one who’s hot. Kyungsoo is just…adorable or cute. Kyungsoo guesses that’s not so bad if Jongin thinks so.

“How do you know this campus so well?” Kyungsoo asks, beginning to gain back his confidence. These people should be jealous of him. He has Kim Jongin on his arm. He even gives some looks back.

“All of my friends go here. Well except for Sehun. I spend a lot of time here on campus.” Kyungsoo nods in understanding. He lets Jongin walk a little ahead of him and pull him along towards the building. Somewhere in the middle of their walk, they catch sight of some familiar faces. Luckily, it’s not the usual troublemakers.

“Hi Jongin. Hi Kyungsoo.”

“Hi Minseok hyung,” Jongin greets.

“Minseok?” Kyungsoo asks confused.

“It’s my real name. I’m a Chinese major so everyone just got used to calling me Xiumin,” Xiumin explains. Kyungsoo nods.

“Oh, Kyungsoo. This is Sojin, my girlfriend.” Sojin does a slight bow to him but he bows lower since it seems that she’s older. Jongin bows as well but he doesn’t usually do that. Sojin also gives him a high-five.

“Jonginnie, what are you doing here?” Sojin asks.

“I’m walking Kyungsoo to his first class.” Sojin squeals a little at this.

“Aw, Minseok told me you all were going out. He didn’t tell me how cute you are.” Jongin looks at Kyungsoo to see what his reaction is to Sojin thinking they’re going out. Kyungsoo’s expression stays exactly the same and Jongin doesn’t know whether he should be disappointed or not.

“I didn’t know either,” Minseok adds giving Jongin a look. “We’ll let you get back to your walk. Bye Jongin, bye Kyungsoo.” Sojin bows again as they walk away and Kyungsoo and Jongin wave. Jongin grabs Kyungsoo’s hand again and they continue walking. This time, they run into someone unexpected.

“Hey.”

“Hey,” Jongin greets back.

“Hi Taemin,” Kyungsoo adds, trying to not be awkward. He hopes that Jongin and Taemin have made up and that Jongin won’t be mad at him for talking to Taemin.

“Hi Kyungsoo,” Taemin replies, smiling slightly.

“Uh, Jongin, about that other time, I’m really so-”

“It’s okay. I got your text messages. I was just embarrassed and frustrated. Not really angry at you,” Jongin explains.

“Really?” Jongin nods. “I’m really sorry though. I should say it in person. I’m sorry I wasn’t paying attention and playing on my phone when you were introducing us to one of your friends. It was rude of me. I’m sorry to you too, Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo waves his hand feeling awkward that Taemin apologized to him.

“It’s okay. Really.”

“Really? I know you hate when people are on their phones when other people are around.”

“True. But hey, you remember that so that means you were somewhat paying attention. Just know that next time we hang out, if you don’t fix your habit you’ll end up paying for my food,” Kyungsoo teases. Taemin laughs.

“You’re on.”

“What were you so absorbed into your phone for anyway?” Jongin asks trying to join the much lighter conversation.

“Um, well, you know, Minho is just… being himself. I can figure it out. I’ll be fine.”

“Taemin, I keep telling you he’s not good for you. He’s not good to be around. You’re my best friend. I don’t want you associating with him.”

“I’ll be fine, Jongin. It was nice seeing you Kyungsoo. I’ve got to go to class,” Taemin says as he begins to walk away. Jongin pauses for a few seconds before beginning walking again, this time a little more slowly.

“What was that about?” Kyungsoo asks, curious about what could make Jongin so worried.

“I’ll tell you later. It’s kind of a touchy matter.” Jongin smiles down at Kyungsoo to reassure him and Kyungsoo smiles back and nods. “We have made too many stops. We’ve got to get you to class.” Jongin picks up the pace and Kyungsoo follows along. They make it to his building in about three more minutes.

“Do you need help finding the classroom?” Jongin asks as they stand outside the building.

“No, I think I can find it on my own,” Kyungsoo replies. They stand in silence, unknowing how to say goodbye and part ways. Jongin catches some guy checking Kyungsoo out on his way into the building and he glares. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Kyungsoo, I’ve been meaning to ask you.” Jongin takes hold of Kyungsoo’s hands. “Could we make this official? Would you be my boyfriend?”

Kyungsoo stands in shock. He wasn’t expecting such a question right now. He certainly wasn’t expecting it any time soon since they’ve only been on one date. Not that he’s complaining. He’s absolutely delighted and somewhat nervous at the same time. He wonders if Jongin will be satisfied with him. He doesn’t really have much experience in this whole boyfriend thing.

“Y-Yes, Jongin. Of course,” Kyungsoo replies and Jongin pulls him into a hug. Jongin holds him for a few seconds before leaning his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder and whispering into his ear.

“Now can I kiss you goodbye in front of all of these people?” Jongin pulls away after that. Kyungsoo looks around and notices that there are lots of people around.

“If you want to,” Kyungsoo responds shrugging in an attempt to seem nonchalant though his heartbeat is quickening.

“I always want to.” Jongin leans in and lets his lips meet Kyungsoo’s. He stays that way for a few seconds and then pulls away and does it again. Finally, after their second kiss, Jongin pulls away completely, stepping back and away from Kyungsoo. Some passersby spare them a glance but Jongin doesn’t care. Kyungsoo is beginning to realize that he doesn’t need to care either. As long as he has Jongin, he doesn’t need to worry about other people.

“Bye, babe,” Jongin says and Kyungsoo blushes holding onto Jongin’s hand a little tighter, hesitant to let go. In the end, he does though because class starts in just a few minutes and he still needs to find the classroom.

“Bye Jongin.” Both of them don’t move. Kyungsoo figures that Jongin wants him to leave first so he smiles at him on last time and waves. He turns and goes into the building, missing his boyfriend already.

 

From: SooLala

I'm in the lecture now. By the way, I liked your hair today. ;) I miss you already. <3

 

To: SooLala

*gasps* Thank you! I miss you too. :(

---------------------

Hi guys! Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Sorry that I haven’t updated recently! I will start back. Comment and subscribe!! See y’all soon!

BTW This is what Jongin is wearing.

This is how he did his hair

This is what Kyungsoo is wearing. Just without the turtleneck