Chapter 3

Feeling Foreign at a Funeral

"So what's he like?"

"He's in my grade, right?"

"What's his name?"

"How'd you meet?"

Jongin's friends are throwing questions at him left and right.

"One at a time, one at a time," Jongin warns. He figures that if everyone stops talking he can answer a question or two before Kyungsoo arrives but one throws him off.

"So, you like him, don't you?" Jongdae asks, eyebrows wiggling and everyone falls silent staring at Jongin. Even Taemin who was previously immersed in something on his phone screen.

"N-no," Jongin splutters and everyone laughs. He glares at the rest of the guys but his anger is quelled by a hand on his shoulder.

"Sorry I'm late," Kyungsoo says squeezing Jongin's shoulder. Jongin blushes and all of the guys laugh and whisper to each other about it while Jongin turns to face Kyungsoo.

"It's okay. Did you find your way here okay?"

"You're not his mother, Kai. Hi, I'm Baekhyun. Come. Sit with us." Baekhyun leads Kyungsoo around the table and Kyungsoo ends up sitting right across from Jongin. The two share a smile before everyone starts jumping Kyungsoo with questions.

"What's your name?" Xiumin asks nicely, the last trace of a civilized human in their bunch.

"My name is Kyungsoo," Kyungsoo shyly introduces himself.

"Ah! Soo! You must be Soo Lala!" Jongdae reveals to the rest of the table. He dies laughing and everyone else follows. Jongin looks over to see him holding his phone and looking through his contacts. He doesn't even get angry because he is so embarrassed. Kyungsoo, though he acted like he didn't like it that one night over text, thought it was a cute nickname so he defends it.

"What? It's a cute nickname. Sounds like a dessert," Kyungsoo interjects. Taemin leans over to Sehun and whispers in his ear. It's probably something erted about how Jongin wishes that Kyungsoo was his dessert. Jongin hears parts of this since Sehun is sitting right next to him but chooses to ignore it for his own sake.

"Ugh, I hate you all," Jongin groans. "Not you, Kyungsoo."

"We know, Kai," Taemin butts in.

"Huh?"

"We know you don't hate Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo chooses to ignore the fact that Jongin's friends are pretty blatantly teasing Jongin about his crush. Or Kyungsoo hopes he's reaidng things correctly about this crush because he's starting to think about Jongin in that way too and if he's wrong, he doesn't know what he'll do. Kyungsoo shakes his head of these thoughts.

"So I know Baekhyun now, what's your name?" Kyungsoo asks politely.

"His name is mine," Baekhyun interrupts with a hint (translation: a lot) of jealousy in his voice. "No, I'm just kidding. His name is-"

"Sehun," Sehun sternly cuts Baekhyun off and stares him down to assert his dominance. He stands up to reach across the table and shake Kyungsoo's hand with a smile. Kyungsoo smiles back and Jongin pushes down the jealousy. He has no right to be jealous. Kyungsoo is not his. Only in his dreams. Meanwhile, Sehun merely raises his eyebrows at Baekhyun with a judging look and Baekhyun cowers into himself like a turtle. No one comments on their tention and Sehun's very public display of who's boss in their relationship. Kyungsoo takes a mental note of this. Do not touch Sehun.

Kyungsoo continues meeting the rest of the group. They go around the table. On the side opposite him furthest to his left, there's Taemin who is in his grade and addicted to his phone. Next to him is Sehun and that's already been notated. Then Jongin so they save him for the end. Then there's Jongdae who is loud and likes to joke around, but he also seems to be one of the nicest ones.

"We're as much your friends as we are Kai's. If you need anything, we're all here for you," Jongdae had said.

At the right end of the table, last but not least is Xiumin. Xiumin is a senior and he's very quiet but he contributes to the conversation every once in a while. He makes jokes too and he's kind of adorable sometimes. On Kyungsoo's side of the table, Lay is quiet too but he's funny. He's funny in a different way though. When we laugh, it's much more ambiguous if we're laughing with him or at him. It seems like a mix. He's kind of helpless sometimes but he seems very caring and kindhearted. After him there is Baekhyun. Baekhyun is loud. Very loud. And whatever comes out of his mouth is usually him making fun of somebody else or him talking about Sehun. Kyungsoo decides that he will need time to get used to Baekhyun. On his right side, there are Chanyeol and Suho. Chanyeol is loud like Baekhyun. He also makes fun of people like Baekhyun but he's a bit nicer. He's really tall. It's a little intimidating but it'll be all right once he gets used to it. Suho is like the mom of the group. Kyungsoo figures Xiumin can be the dad. Suho is a junior. Xiumin sits back and watches but Suho will speak his mind and keep everyone in check. Mostly Baekhyun.

Kai's friends are interesting.

"Why don't we do a phone stack?" Kyungsoo suggests before their entrees come out.

"What's that?" Kai asks, the most attentive of all the rest.

"It's where everyone stacks their phones in the middle of the table and whoever reaches for theirs first has to pay for the meal. It's just so we're not distracted." Kai tries not to shed a tear at Kyungsoo's thoughtfulness. Chanyeol rolls his eyes at him. "We don't actually have to make the person pa-"

"Yes, we do," Baekhyun objects. Kyungsoo laughs and agrees.

"Okay, then the person has to pay." Everyone looks at Taemin.

"Huh?" he asks. Everyone rolls their eyes. "Oh uh, so where is that guy that Jongin likes?"

For once, Jongin decides that he has a right to be angry.

"Are you serious, Taemin? What's wrong with you? You sit here on my phone when I told you I was introducing you to one of my friends and then you do something like this? Really?" Jongin gets up quietly. "I'm going to the restroom." He walks to the back of the restaurant.

"Hyung, this isn't it," Sehun adds. Suho is just shaking his head.

"I'll go talk to him," Kyungsoo follows Jongin's path. Once he reaches the rest room, he sees Jongin standing at the sink splashing water on his face. "Jongin?"

Jongin hearsKyungsoo's sweet, smooth voice before he sees him. His face is still wet, his eyes still at risk of water seeping into them. He tries to blink a few times but it doesn't work. Before he knows it, he feels the rough restroom paper towel drying his face. Though it should be slightly uncomfortable, the fact that it's Kyungsoo's hands makes the paper towel feel like Charmin Ultra 2-Ply.

"You can open your eyes now,"  Kyungsoo chuckles. Jongin wakes from his daydream and opens his eyes skeptically. He'll never admit it but he definitely mentally prepared a little before looking. He knew he needed a moment before seeing Kyungsoo's face this close to his. He might do something he'd regret. When he opens his eyes, Kyungsoo is still laughing quietly and his heart-shaped smile steals Jongin's heart. Who knew Jongin's thoughts could be so corny?

"Are you okay?" Kyungsoo asks, his expression filling with concern.

"Huh?" Jongin asks since his mood has risen from just having Kyungsoo alone with him.

"Earlier? With Taemin?" The memory returns and so does the anger.

"Yeah. I'm fine. I'm sorry about how this is turning out. My friends are really weird. This isn't how I thought it would go. They make fun of me like this usually but I'd hoped that they would stop since you're here. You're my first new friend in a while so they think that I must like you automatically. They say I'm picky. I beg to differ but yeah...I'm sorry." Jongin realizes he's babbling once again and stops himself while he has the chance.

"What do you mean? They're really nice. And fun," Kyungsoo disagrees. "I'm enjoying this. Thank you for doing this for me." Kyungsoo holds Jongin's hand in his. Jongin's heart is beating fast, he tries not to think too much of it.

"Let's go back now." Kyungsoo gets behind Jongin and starts pushing his back towards the door. Jongin laughs as he does it and keeps laughing until they return to the table. "He's very heavy," Kyungsoo announces to the table before sitting down.

"Where's Taemin?" Jongin asks even though he doesn't really care. (Well, he cares a little bit but he'll acknowledge that later once he's calmed down.)

"We thought it would be best if he left," Suho replies with a serious expression. "He did too." Kyungsoo and Jongin nod.

"Well, let's not ruin the mood. Let's eat everyone!" Jongdae begins eating. Kyungsoo and Jongin notice that the food has arrived so they begin eating as well. Kyungsoo looks up to check on Jongin afte a few bites and Jongin is staring right back at him. Kyungsoo's face heats up and he looks back down at his plate.

"So what are you thinking about studying?" Xiumin inquires. Kyungsoo finishes chewing.

"I haven't decided a major but I'm definitely doing a Latin American Studies minor," Kyungsoo answers.

"That's interesting. How did you get an interest in that?" By now everyone is listening because of Kyungsoo's unique choice of study.

"Well, since I'm from Brasil I want to learn more about other countries in South and Central America."

"You're from Brazil?! I thought you were Korean," Lay blurts out suddenly.

"I am Korean, but I grew up in Brasil."

"So wait, when did you come here?" Sehun chimes in.

"I've lived there my whole life until this past March." Jongin just sits and listens to Kyungsoo talk. He loves how Kyungsoo's accent comes back when he talks about his home country. His friends seem really immersed in the conversation. He thinks that maybe this is a success. He tries not to think about Taemin. Taemin hasn't been himself lately and today was the last straw. Jongin has to go talk to him now, find out what's going on.

"Who's paying?"

"Well, I guess Taemin was supposed to but since he left maybe we can split the bill and then do it for real next time?" Kyungsoo offers. Jongin tells himself that he needs to stop acting like a proud mom whenever Kyungsoo says anything nice. Everyone agrees and they pay. It's only 6:00pm now and as they exit the restaurant, everyone is thinking about what to do.

"Who's up for dessert? I want froyo," Baekhyun eagerly declares hoping that the others will join him. It seems that most everyone is free. Suho has a date with his girlfriend, Irene, Xiumin also needs to go home to his long-timie girlfriend, Sojin, and Lay has to go to the studio to finish some choreography. They all tell Kyungsoo that it was nice meeting him and Kyungsoo reciprocates before they leave.

"LOL all the old people left. Xiumin just probably didn't want to feel like a seventh wheel," Baekhyun chortles. He holds Sehun's hand as they walk to the froyo shop a few stores down. Chanyeol and Jongdae are behind them and they also hold hands.

"Wait, they're together?" Kyungsoo whispers to Jongin as they follow in the back. Jongin nods. Kyungsoo makes a cute face of surprise and Jongin dies inside. Just a little bit. He needs to stop exaggerating like this. He sounds like a fangirl. When they get inside they see that there are only small tables. They all stand awkwardly.

"You guys should sit together in here. Jongin and I will sit outside," Kyungsoo suggest.

"Do you guys want to watch a movie after? My house?" Jongin asks. The two couples nod. "Are you free, Kyungsoo?" They are all at the different handles filling their cups with different flavors.

"Yeah, I'll let my parents know."

"You have to let your parents know?" Jongin asks shocked that Kyungsoo is older than him and still has to tell his parents what he's doing. They are now standing in a line getting their toppings.

"Well, they don't exactly believe that I have a life. They were even a little hesitant on letting me come out today. I think that they think I'm like Mojo Jojo or something planning world destruction. I told them that I was going to make friends and they were so shocked." Jongin passes the spoon for the oreos over to Kyungsoo and their hands touch. Kyungsoo smiles up at Jongin at the gesture. "You know me so well."

"So wait, why were they so shocked?" Jongin asks to change the subject in favor of ignoring the (intimate, in his mind) compliment.

"I haven't really made any friends other than Julia since I got here. I just lazed around, going to singing lessons. Piano lessons. Dance lessons." Once they reach the cash register, Jongin takes Kyungsoo's cup and places it on the scale along with his own.

"Wait, what? What are you doing? You don't have to pay Jongin."

"I insist," Jongin counters. He nods to the cashier who swipes the card. Kyungsoo can't help but look at Jongin in a different light. He's quite chivalrous. Kyungsoo finds chivalry very attractive though he needs to make sure that Jongin doesn't get in the habit of paying for him.

"What color spoon do you want? Blue?" Kyungsoo just nods, taken aback by Jongin's change in demeanor. "I know it's not your favorite color but it's the darkest color they have so it's the closest to black." Kyungsoo nods again, biting his lip though he smile is still visible to Jongin. Kyungsoo thinks that this feels almost like a date. If this is what hanging with friends is like, Kyungsoo wonders what a real date with Jongin would be like. They make their way to one of the tables outside while Sehun and Baekhyun, and Chanyeol and Jongdae get their own tables next to each other on the inside of the store.

"Wow, Jongin really likes that guy," Chanyeol ponders.

"Yeah, paying for his froyo. He's never paid for my froyo," Baekhyun adds.

"Did you guys notice that Kyungsoo calls him Jongin?" Everyone nods at Jongdae. "He never lets anyone call him Jongin anymore." They all look through the glass storefront at Kyungsoo and Jongin sitting together and laughing.

"Kyungsoo's cute." Baekhyun glares at Sehun. "Totally Jongin's style. They look good together." Chanyeol and Jongdae nod in agreement.

 

 

"You dance?" Jongin asks once they've sat down. He even pulled out Kyungsoo's chair at their table. Kyungsoo feels nervous and shy for no reason.

"Well, it's kind of embarrassing," Kyungsoo admits.

"I dance too."

"Really? What types?"

"Hip hop, jazz. I used to do ballet."

"See, you do cool stuff. I do..." Kyungsoo pauses. Jongin nods in encouragement.

"Ballroom dancing," Kyungsoo huffs.

"What's embarrassing about that? You get to dance with a bunch of hot girls all the time. So many guys would kill to be in your position." Kyungsoo ignores the pang in his heart at the mention of hot girls. Why didn't he think of that? Maybe Jongin is just super touchy with him because he's a guy. He's more comfortable. Kyungsoo didn't even think that he could be straight but now that he thinks about it, it's completely possible. He always laughs when girls say all the handsome good guys always turn out to be gay. In his world it's the exact opposite. All the guys he even starts to like end up being straight.

Jongin doesn't think much of making the comment about hot girls. It's true. Lots of straight guys would wish to be in his place. He's just hoping that Kyungsoo isn't a straight guy. Plus he kind of wanted to make Kyungsoo jealous.

"I just have to wear these weird outfits and flared pants. These super low-cut tops." Kyungsoo mentions the last detail on purpose to gauge Jongin's reaction. He watches Jongin's face for a reaction to this fact but Jongin has gotten better at hiding his feelings after the past few hours. His face doesn't show any signs of intrigue.

"That sounds like fun. I wear crazy outfits every once in a while. Have you seen ballet tights. You can see everything through those. So embarrassing," Jongin shudders. Kyungsoo doesn't like where his thoughts are going. Jongin in ballet tights is not what he should be thinking about when he has an awesome FREE cup of froyo in front of him. It's almost 7 o'clock and the sun is setting. Just in time, Baekhyun, Sehun, Chanyeol and Jongdae exit the store.

"We're gonna go home and change into more comfortable clothes and then we'll meet at your house?" Baekhyun asks Jongin. 

"Cool! We'll see you then." Kyungsoo waves and the two couples go to the parking garage to get their cars. Kyungsoo and Jongin don't live very far away. 

"Did you walk?" Kyungsoo nodded at Jongin's question. "Come on." Kyungsoo follows Jongin down the street. Jongin stops at a black sports car.

"This is yours?" Kyungsoo asks in shock. Jongin nods. He opens the door for Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo hesitates. "Jongin, are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure." Kyungsoo gets into the car carefully, afraid that it will fall to pieces the second he touches it. It looks like the Batmobile. Jongin closes the car door for him and goes around the vehicle to get in on the driver's side. Kyungsoo is in awe, running his fingers over the intricate details on the inside of the car. Jongin leans over him in the process to pull his seatbelt on. As he buckles the belt, Kyungsoo turns his attention and looks awestruck by Jongin. Jongin smirks and starts the car. Kyungsoo is amazed that the car is push-to-start.

"I can't believe this is your car," Kyungsoo finally whispers. Jongin just laughs and rolls down the windows.

 

---------------

Once they arrive at Jongin's house, safely in the garage, Kyungsoo wonders aloud.

"Wait, should I change into comfier clothes also?" 

"You can borrow some of mine." Jongin pauses. "Hey, do you maybe wanna stay over tonight?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KaiSoo La la!!!!!

Baekhyun's thirst for sehun (he really can't control it recently, but it's always been there)

tumblr_inline_nap6o9hQhI1r4n5mc.gif

tumblr_mzuztax2kG1s48x3eo1_250.gif

tumblr_inline_nglz41IqsX1rqntxp.gif

(Sorry they're my OTP)

ChenYeol lurvv

tumblr_mpjvi3y0Jp1rrykkzo1_250.gif

tumblr_mrj93jDiNE1r5dbr3o1_250.gif

tumblr_ms5t6wp7oj1qc5l1co3_250.gif

 

Finally our dear Soo lala, mojo jojo being adorable

tumblr_m88tjjewMc1qa07zw.gif

These are not my gifs

omgggg hello friends! thank you for subscribing. I haven't really introduced myself so hello. I am 20 and from the USA. This is my first time ever writing Kaisoo. they were never really on my OTP list until like a few weeks ago but I'm obsessed now. I hope that this is going okay. This chapter is a bit longer so I hope you enjoyed it! Thank you for reading! Comment! Subscribe!