002

Tricky Deal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The soft music in the background was a pleasant tune to Lu Han's ear despite the early hustle and bustle inside the cafe. He was silently humming to the soothing melody, fingers unconsciously drumming on the wooden table. He ordered a cup of coffee, whereas the girl across him had a variety of food in front of her, seemingly hungry but not really touching any of it. They were in an awkward situation until Minjung spoke to lay all her cards down in one go, not missing a beat. To which he attentively listened to.

"Help me get that Hyunjoo away from my brother!"

Lu Han probably heard her wrong. If it was some kind of joke, he could have laughed it off but the look of determination mix with anger evident on her face was enough to convince him that she was indeed seriously seeking for his help, a help to get Hyunjoo away from Minseok.

"Jung, are you out of your mind?"

It was an absurd request for Lu Han. Why would he help her take away his best friend's happiness?

It was not something unknown to Lu Han how Minjung didn't fancy Hyunjoo or those girls Minseok dated in the past. Sure Hyunjoo could be a bit annoying but everyone could be, at some point, even her.

"I don't know," Minjung said. She was back to being snarky, gone the seriousness in her face. She lifted a brow up at him and mustered a nonchalant face, trying to mask her anger but it was still reflecting on her eyes, Lu Han could see through it.

"Do you think I'll agree to that?"

It was really absurd. Lu Han would never do anything close to that.

"No, but I came prepared," Minjung said. She then breathed out as if releasing all her burden in that one movement. "Let's make a deal, you help me with that girl and I'll be good to you, no more racism or anything equivalent to that." She talked animatedly, hands going back and forth between them. "It's a very precious deal you know... not many can be on my good side."

Luhan shook his head to that statement, a frown already forming on his forehead. A small thing for a huge favor? If she would give him millions he might consider her offer or if she'd be all too willing to be his slave for the rest of her life then he would surely weigh his options. But seriously, Lu Han wouldn't agree to anything that could harm his best friend or anyone close to him.

Another song played in the background and Lu Han decided that their conversation was taking longer than necessary. So, without giving a proper answer and much a goodbye, he picked his bag together with the coffee he ordered, stood up and made his way out of the cafe, leaving Minjung to pick her pride up.

 

***

 

Minjung expected Lu Han's reaction, after all he was nothing but loyal to her brother. The boy owed Minseok so much since their younger years. Nonetheless, the rejection somehow annoyed her. It was a farfetched favor anyway but she was tempted to go after him, demand for an apology for leaving her behind and convince him once more. Perhaps, the boy was right, that she was starting to go out of her mind just to keep that witch away from her brother.

But what was left to do? Sehun's ideas were either stupid or utterly stupid. He was just someone she could run into in case she was in dire need of a punching bag to relieve stress and not someone close to her brother to actually help her put Hyunjoo back to her place.

In school, Minjung was staring blankly into space until a certain someone interrupted her reverie.

"Chanyeol told me she saw you with Lu Han hyung."

And her 'friend' was not a help at all. He arrived in the classroom waving a red flag right at her face.

"Why Sehun, are you jealou?," she was quick to retort. A teasing smile was curving her lips. Shaking off her earlier thoughts, she faced the boy. She raised a brow at him her flag was up as well, red as ever.

"He can keep you all to himself. But I am afraid he is in his right mind and he clearly doesn't want you. I am amazed how hyung walked out of that coffee shop," Sehun said like a tabloid reporter that got a juicy scoop. He placed his things under his table and plopped down his seat like a bum, extending his abnormally long legs. "Oh and apparently Chanyeol knows the details. He is just across the shop gobbling some fish cakes when he saw you." Sehun was clearly mocking her and he was enjoying every single crease that appeared on her forehead.

A kick on Sehun's shin was enough to make him tumble down first on the floor, his chair fell with him. Minjung stood up and hovered over his sorry as.s with a taunting smile. "Well I am not after anyone, especially him." And she turned away, looking smug and all.

"You left before you could see Minseok hyung crying..."

The change of topic made Minjung halt in her steps. And Sehun could sense that she was waiting for him to continue, probably waiting for some turn of events, this time in her favor.

"out of happiness of course! Noona would be a fool to reject him!" Sehun teased, not because he thought it was a way to hurt her but he meant it as a joke to make things lighter than it was for the girl. Sehun knew why she was acting that way and he couldn't blame her.

Minjung was aware that he didn't mean any harm by telling her that. She practically grew up with him to know his poor humor. Moreover, his messages the night before, asking her if she was okay were enough proof that he was worried but she could not help it that she was hurting in spite of her brother's happiness.

Lunch break came in a whim and Minjung decided to buy her lunch from the cafeteria located in the arts building. She didn't want to encounter annoying people and knew better. And it was a successful decision because not too many often the canteen in that part. She did see Lu Han on the way back but didn't acknowledge his presence instead, she strode in a hurry.

When the long bell rang, Minjung was the first one to exit the classroom. She was not in the mood to 'socialize' with other people.

 

***

 

Avoiding Minseok was easier said than done. It was like a game of cat and mouse. In the morning Minjung would wake up so early and move as fast as lighting without a sound to alert her brother. For almost two days, it felt like she wronged her brother and everyone all together. Sehun had been trying to reach her through unanswered phone calls and messages. In school, she would ignore him but remain acting cool about everything although she was tempted to just rip Hyunjoo's hair and tell her off in front of the school. And her cycle went on until Friday arrived.

Minjung used to take long walks by the river, a few blocks away from their house. She was a kid back then, nearly seven. Strolling became a habit after her mother died. She felt a sense of tranquility and closeness to her mother when walking by the river. It was also a memorable place because there, she met Sehun although it was really an ugly story.

The habit died down during middle school but whenever she was dealing with something, her feet would drag her to that certain place, hoping to find answers.

The sun was almost setting. Minjung sat on a bench facing the calm body of water that was slowly turning orange. She didn't go to school but she was dressed for it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter