003

Tricky Deal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was only Monday and Lu Han was almost as good as better seeing the weekend to arrive than facing another day in school. His usual brightly lit doe eyes lack luster in them, gone the cheerfulness in his overall physique. And on top of that, his shoulders were slumping like he was carrying the entire nation on it. His physical appearance was clearly showing that he had had enough of the day, yet Minjung had to swing his way with a bad threat in tow, adding another burden onto his shoulders.

 

The picture was nothing but a nightmare of the past to his poor soul.

How Minjung got a hold of it, he was not so sure.

Thinking back, maybe it was when they were kids. The girl only went to his house once or maybe twice if his memory didn't fail him. He was always happy and excited to invite Minseok but wary about having his sister over, for the girl was never welcoming and friendly towards him. Maybe that was it, that time after his and Minseok's graduation.

 

Lu Han crumpled the already beaten picture in his hand. Throwing it somewhere out of spite would be too dangerous so he kept it hidden underneath the mess of books in his bag. Burning it at home was far the best option. But having Minjung breathing down his neck until she was successful in breaking Hyunjoo was something he didn't want to think of at the moment. At least he could vent everything in playing football for a while. Abruptly, after zipping his bag he pulled his uniform out of his locker to change and shut its door with a loud bang!

Still red in the face, figuratively and literally, he stomped out of the locker room to relieve stress through sending footballs flying across the field.

 

On the other hand, Minjung felt like she was already winning, like fate decided to finally help her. But the burning feeling on her ears was distracting her from celebrating the biggest accomplishment she attained so far.

Over the weekend she had been planning everything. Just because she found something to threaten her brother's best friend with didn't guarantee that he would be willing to join her plans. However, the boy was easy to trick, and it was a relief to her that Lu Han immediately agreed, saving her from other unnecessary threats.

Throughout the whole day and the succeeding days after striking a deal with Lu Han, Minjung had been stealing quick glances at her phone, waiting for any message coming from the boy. She was unable to reach him in school or anywhere, like he was on the move to avoid her for the rest of his life. She didn't have all the time to search for him because she was stuck reviewing e.s for the upcoming exam week. She could only wait, but she was so done waiting.

When Sunday night came and she didn't receive anything during the whole week, she went to sneak into her brother's room. Her brother went out for a quick trip to the convenient store, leaving the area empty and unattended for her to ransack.

She was instantly by Minseok's bed side table holding his phone. She scrolled through the names on his contact list but it began ringing midway her search. The sound gave her a fright and it had her tossing the phone on her brother’s bed.

From a far, she heard a faint beeping sound of the lock being opened and the creaking of the door alerted her. She backed off as soon as footsteps could be clearly heard probably a few meters away. Knowing that Minseok could be a bit of a neat freak, before completely leaving like she didn't even set foot in her brother's room, she grabbed his phone that had stopped ringing while she was in panic mode and put it back where it belong. She failed to get Lu Han's number after all the trouble.

 

***

 

It was just yesterday when the winter air started to blow around the city and in a blink of an eye, spring finally arrived. Although the morning air was still undeniably wintry, flowers were starting to make its appearance, albeit in small quantities.

For students, the start of spring also meant exams, graduation too. Minjung was up early, not to review or anything for the exam but to hunt someone –Lu Han. For her, the arrival of spring meant that she was taking far too long in getting Hyunjoo to give up on her brother and Lu Han was not really a help. The itch to confront him had been on her mind long enough that she finished devising its detail in her head, like how to threaten him even more if he would defy her commands.

Minjung scribbled on a piece of paper to notify Minseok of her morning 'agenda', lying about studying more in the library. She placed the pink note beside the toasted bread she prepared for her brother and left.

Down the street she waited and waited until she saw a figure coming down the path, eyes elsewhere but the road. He walked past her and didn't seem to notice her looming presence a few feet away that when she crept and booed him from behind the device in his hand almost crashed on the ground, probably with his racing heart.

Minjung laughed at his girly reaction. She heard the tiny squeal that came from his all mighty manly self –as what he would boast according to Minseok. But her joyful vibe entirely changed in a split second. "Do you think I'm joking?" she questioned, getting her point across him with just those words.

Lu Han visibly tensed at her inquiry, as if he was a deer caught in the headlights. He could not look at her way.

Minjung was glaring at him, glaring hard. She clawed his shoulder, gripping it like she didn't want to let him go.

"Why didn't you-" "Would I agree if I think it's a bluff?" Lu Han immediately put a stop to her question and retorted in a manner that was not him at all. He was talking in a hurry and had the decency to actually slap her hand off of his shoulder so he could have his personal space back.

"Then why didn't you--" Minjung was just starting to give her point, not caring about the action Lu Han made when he cut her off once again. "Well one, I don't have something to say!" he started. He received an annoyed look from the girl but he only gulped and continued, "And two, I don't really have your number!"

"You what?" The girl was utterly surprised by his revelation.

While Minjung was completely dazed, Lu Han saw his salvation from a far and so without an ounce of hesitation he repeated the words "I don't have your number," loud and clear. "I'll take the bus." Hurrying, he walked past her in an attempt to walk away unharmed.

As soon as the bus, also known as his salvation stopped, he slipped in it together with the other waiting passengers.

"Wait."

Although still shell-shocked, Minjung didn’t let the boy out of her sight. She trailed after him and boarded the same bus, squeezing herself in until she was just behind Lu Han.

It was just past seven but the vehicle was already full of employees rushing to get to their jobs on time. A handful of students were also present but no one was from their school which had Lu Han sighing in relief but no sooner, he was sighing out of frustration because Minjung was beside him. The girl was carefully watching his every move, noting the frown on his face and the little beads of sweat forming on either side of head.

"Give me–" The vehicle jolted with a sudden break, shaking everyone surprise. Minjung lost her balance, her hand was a little too late in grasping the handle bar and she was already expecting to collide to the passenger beside her. She had seen it coming but not Lu Han holding her, his hand on her waist, preventing the collision.

"Hold your girlfriend tight," an older woman remarked, indirectly scolding Lu Han. She was sitting just across them, a seemingly permanent frown on her face.

The mention of a particular word had Lu Han letting go of his best friend's sister. While the sudden lost of contact had Minjung bumping to the person next to her.

Like nothing happened, she was instantly standing straight, hands tightly grasping the nearest pole. No apology was delivered across."What boyfriend?" She muttered under her breath, cursing both the older guy and the nosy old lady in her mind as she looked away.

The ride was rather bumpy that Lu Han and Minjung’s shoulders touched a couple of times. Minjung was even pushed thrice.

Lu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter