Chapter 5

Summer Vacation

 [Mina's POV]

 

  I took a deep breath as my hand gripped the door handle.

 "Ugh.." I groaned as I stomped in place.

  How can I face him after what happened yesterday?! I wanted to dig a hole in the ground, crawl in it and die. What if he mentions it in front of his parents during breakfast? He would totally enjoy seeing me embarrassed. I ruffled my hair in frustration, hissing in pain as I pulled few strands out in the process.

  I dropped my hands to my sides as realization hit me.

 "Maybe he doesn't think of it as such a big deal? Maybe I'm just being a dumb who worries about stupid ?" I cursed out loud, hitting my forehead with my palm. "Yep, that must be the case." I felt somewhat relieved, but there was still a possibility I was wrong.

  I opened the door of my room with a lighter heart and went down the corridor and down the stairs with confidence in my steps.

 "Good morning!" I greeted everyone at the dining table as I entered the room.

 "Good morning, sweetheart!" Mrs. Shin beamed her pearly smile, ushering me to sit down. I bowed to Mr. Shin, who returned the gesture as he was busy jabbing his finger on to the screen of the tablet computer in his hand.

  I then took a seat next to Hoseok, who was already eating at the table, his attention focused on phone in his appendage.

 "Shin Hoseok! I am saying this once again - put down your phone and eat like a normal human being!" Mrs. Shin reached over the table and slapped the device out of the boy's hands.

 "Mom!" Hoseok whined as he took his phone that dropped on to the carpet under the table. He then proceeded to check it for any scratches and slid it into the back pocket of his jeans. He then went back to eating his toast.

  I loaded my plate with few strips of bacon, some scrambled eggs and toast and began to peacefully eat my breakfast.

  So far, so good. Hoseok hadn't said anything and didn't even pay any attention to me. I sighed in relief and happily finished my breakfast.

 "Thank you for the meal, it was delicious!" I said to Eunmi as she came to my side to take my empty plate.

 "I'm glad you enjoyed it, Mina!" The girl offered me a sweet smile. I looked back at the Shin's as I felt their eyes on us. They stared at Eunmi and I with raised eyebrows.

 "It's okay, I told Eunmi to call me by my name." I said as I felt the girl beside me getting slightly uncomfortable. "I don't like all of those titles and formalities." I laughed as the middle-aged couple smiled in response while Hoseok rolled his eyes.

 "I guess I'll get going." I said checking the time on my phone.

 "Have a great day at school today!" Mrs. Shin exclaimed after taking a sip of her orange juice.

 "Hoseok, don't you need to get going, too?" Mr. Shin said looking up at his son. I then took off in the direction of the staircase.

 "Sure, sure." I heard the male say and heard footsteps following me.

  I quickened my pace as I wanted to do everything just to avoid Hoseok. I got to my room, picked up my backpack and proceeded to leave. Hoseok and I happened to leave our room at the same time and we bumped right into each other.

 "Ow..." I rubbed my cheek that came in contact with Hoseok's sturdy chest.

 "Watch where you're going, doll." Hoseok's cold voice snapped at me. I looked up at his face with a frown.

 "More like, watch where you're going." I rolled my eyes and turned to walk down the hall.

  But my foot got caught on something and my face almost met the cold hard-wood floor. Thank goodness I steadied myself with a hand on the wall. I looked down to see what my foot got caught on. It was certain someone's foot.

 "You ing prick!" I hissed at Hoseok as he just smirked, clearly enjoying my distaste. He then casually walked past me and down the hall. " you!" I cursed under my breath and also began to make my way down the hall and the stairs as I kept grumbling under my breath.

 

----

 

  It was lunch break. Juhyun, Sooyoung and I were standing in the line to buy our lunch.

 "Hoseok!" A loud screech sounded through the cafeteria. I turned back to see a girl latch herself on Hoseok who was in the process of sitting down at the table with his lunch.

  The girl was tall and slim, body figure resembling one of a Victoria Street model's, and high heels were donning her feet. Who even turns up to school with freaking stilettos? So extra. Her ebony hair, that complimented her fair skin tone, was in soft curls. Her face also fit the model criteria - long eyelashes, pointed nose and full, cherry red lips.

 "Ugh..." Simultaneous groans came from my right and left. I looked at Juhyun and asked her to explain the sudden irritation of both girls.

 "That's Kim Doyeon, this school's Regina George." Juhyun, the walking Google, began. "She's phonier than a telephone and has the personality of a lemon truly dry. Also she has been clinging onto Hoseok since the kindergarten. There have been rumors they hooked up a year ago at Minhyuk's birthday party, but I'm not really sure that that was actually the case."

 "What do you mean? Like, I reckon Hoseok is total boy material." I snorted.

 "Well, it just doesn't look like they have anything going on." Juhyun pointed at the scene before us.

  The Doyeon girl had her arms around Hoseok's neck and was going in for a kiss, but the male straight up ducked down to free himself from her grasp and turned around to walk out of the cafeteria. Well, that took me by surprise.

  The long-legged goddess stomped her white high-heel on the tiled floor and stormed off after the boy.

 "I was hoping she wouldn't go to summer school this year. Gosh, I hate her." Sooyoung pouted. "She thinks she's the ing queen of South Korea and can just turn up to school whenever." The girl mocked in a high-pitched voice making me laugh.

 

----

 

 "I'm now going to assign some math problems to solve on your own." Miss Kim said as she gave out the papers. "You have fifteen minutes!"

  I looked over the contents of the paper in front of me. Okay, so this goes like this... I chewed on the end off my pen. I didn't know if what I was doing was actually correct, but I really didn't care. I proceeded on with solving the given math problems, but saw something in the corner of my eye - Hoseok had his phone out and he was apparently texting.

  The inner in me howled in joy as an opportunity to possibly screw with Hoseok has basically presented itself in front of my eyes. I skillfully fished out my phone from the pocket of my jeans (I had perfected my skill of texting in class and not getting caught to the limits, because what else would you do in school? I wasn't even a bit scared off getting caught) and opened my contacts. I then pressed on "The Annoying " caller ID and pressed call.

  Immediately the chorus part of I.O.I's 'Very Very Very" blasted out of Hoseok's phone's speaker and through the silent class. Take that, you idiot! You are stupid for not putting your phone on silent. I was pleasantly surprised at my accurate jab at luck. Hoseok jumped in his seat as the whole class erupted with laughter.

 "Shin Hoseok!" Miss Kim's booming voice shut everyone up and I dropped the call, quickly slipping my phone back in my pocket like nothing happened. "Using your phone in class is strictly prohibited, so I'll have to confiscate it." The teacher walked down the narrow path between the desks and stopped in front of Hoseok's desk.

 "But-" The frightened male began but was cut off by the teacher's stern and icy stare.

 "You can have it back tomorrow morning." The woman plucked the device out of the boy's hand and walked back to her desk that stood in front of the class.

  I laughed under my breath while Hoseok glared at me like he wanted to kill me.

  Why do I get the feeling that I ed up big time just now?

  After I finished the assignment, I turned in my paper and excused myself to the bathroom. Being done with everything in the bathroom, just to stall time more I texted Soojin.

  I was coming out of the girls' bathroom, but a hand slammed on the wall right in front of me. My startled eyes traveled from the fingers gripping at the wall, up the firm biceps and a broad shoulder and stopped at the face I didn't really feel like seeing at that moment.

 "What do you want?" I leaned on the wall beside me while stuffing my phone into the back pocket of my jeans.

 "I'm going to warn you." Hoseok started, his icy stare boring right through me. "I'm going to make your summer vacation a living nightmare."

 "Oh really?" I snorted as I ducked under his arm to pull myself out of the situation, but a steal grip on my arm stopped me.

  Hoseok's looked deep into my eyes, like a wolf looking for its next meal and I felt a cold shiver run down my spine. The man loomed over me as he leaned in.

 "Don't take me lightly, baby doll." Hoseok whispered lowly in my ear and followed with a bite on my earlobe. I yelped in pain and immediately jumped back.

 "What the ?!" I screeched as I rubbed my red ear that pulsated in pain. But in response, the boy in front of me placed his finger on my lips and shushed me.

 "Hurry back to class, doll. You don't want to get caught, do you?" Hoseok flashed a smirk as I kept glaring at him.

 " you.." I scoffed and stormed off, leaving Hoseok laughing by himself.

  Even if I prayed for nothing else to happen, my prayers were ignored as I turned the corner. For the second time that day, I bumped into somebody.

 "Watch where you're going." The girl said, distaste on her tongue, as if she just bumped into a trash can. I looked up to see it was the Doyeon girl.

 "Ugh.." I rolled my eyes and stepped around the girl.

 "Don't you ing dare to roll your eyes at me!" The girl yelled after me. "Who do you think you are?!" She raced after me and, when I was at her reach, she grabbed me by my shoulder, forcefully turning me to look at her. For a moment I was startled by such strength coming from a female that thin.

 "Me?" I chuckled under my breath as I was not in the mood to stand up to another . "I'm nobody." I shrugged her hand off my shoulder and walked away.

 

----

 

  It was ten o'clock at night.

  I was in my bedroom, getting ready for bed, when the white door burst open. I jumped in shock and landed on the cold hardwood floor.

 "Get dressed." Hoseok demanded as he entered the room and sat down on the bed. I was still looking at him with wide, questioning eyes. "I said, get dressed." The boy clicked his tongue at me and I finally stood up.

 "Why in the hell should I get dressed?" I frowned.

 "We're going to get my phone back." His answer was short and cold.

 "You're getting it back tomorrow morning, why bother breaking into the school?" I rolled my eyes and walked to the other side of the bed and slipped under the warm covers.

 "I need it now."

 "And I need to sleep now." I my side as I tucked myself in.

 "You're not sleeping, doll." The covers were yanked off my body and I just sighed, not even thinking of giving into whatever plan Hoseok was plotting. "And it's also your fault my phone got confiscated." I felt the pressure on the bed lighten and heard steps going around the bed.

 "You can ask your friends for help." I snapped and finally sat up.

 "I would have, if I had my phone." Hoseok scoffed. "And I reckon you won't be willing to lend me your phone til morning, right?" He raised an eyebrow that was perfectly accompanied by a smirk. He then stopped in front of me, his broad stature looming over me once again.

 "I don't care, your phone doesn't concern me." I reached for the covers but suddenly I was lifted off the bed.

  I squealed as my arms latched around Hoseok's neck in surprise; he had taken me into his arms - one arm around my shoulders, the other wrapped around my knees. He proceeded to calmly walk towards the closet.

 "Now get dressed." The boy let me down on the floor and then sat down on my bed again. I sighed as I proceeded to pick some clothes out. I gathered a pair of skinny jeans and a hoodie that was too big for me as it belonged to my older brother.

 "Dude, look away." I called out from the walk-in closet.

 "I've seen you -, don't ya remember?" My cheeks heated up at Hoseok's teasing tone. I kept quiet and began to take my t-shirt off.

  When I finished, I took my phone and we proceeded to sneak out of the house without getting caught.

 

----

 

 "In what kind of ery did I get myself into?" I sighed as Hoseok and I stood in front of the front gates of Genie Academy.

 "If you didn't mess with me, we wouldn't be here." Hoseok answered the question that was not meant for him and I rolled my eyes. Hoseok checked the gates and they were locked.

 "There is no way in, so let's just go back." I was about to turn back, but Hoseok just jumped over the fence, that the height of reached my bellybutton - it wasn't a big fence and I really didn't see the point of having it for security of the school.

 "Now, your turn." Hoseok said and I looked at him as if he had grown a second head.

 "I'm not jumping over this fence." I declared as I stuffed my hands into my hoodie's pockets.

  Hoseok blew his bangs in annoyance and jumped over the fence again.

 "You just gotta jump over it - it's simple."

 "I'm not going to do it, over my dead corpse." I was being stubborn, I knew, but just the idea of breaking into a school was a bunch of freaking tommyrot.

  The male in front of me cursed and ruffled his hair in distress. He then looked at me for a minute as if contemplating something. I could literally hear the gears turning inside his brain.

  What the man did next surprised me. All I can say - Hoseok was full of surprises. But I didn't want to admit the fact that he was intriguing in every way.

  Hoseok took my right arm, he then crouched down as his arm wrapped around my thighs and stood up with me over his shoulder as if I was a sack of potatoes.

 "You dickhead! Let me down!" I screamed as I hit Hoseok's back. It was sturdy and hard as a rock, I didn't really think my hits were even making any affect on him. But I still tried.

 "Calm down, baby doll." I felt Hoseok's palm caressing my .

 "Don't ing touch me!" I squirmed even more, but just earned a slap on my behind.

  Hoseok placed me over on the other side of the fence and jumped over too.

 "Don't ever ing do that again!" I hissed as I fixed my clothes. "I'm going to ing kill you!"

 "Uh-huh, sure, doll." The male threw a wink my way and walked toward the school building.

  It was easy to retrieve Hoseok's phone, but escaping the school was more difficult.

  We were right in front of the entry of the school when we heard steps and saw a nearing light.

 "Oh, my God! We're going to get ing caught!" I hissed as I clutched onto Hoseok's arm, starting to panic.

  Hoseok quickly pulled me around the secluded corner and made crouch down as we looked around the corner to see a security guard walking into the view with a flashlight in his hand as he whistled a tune while looking around, checking the classrooms and hallways.

  But then the security guard turned to walk in our direction.

 "We are dead, ing deceased, oh, my God!" I was going into a full panic mode, but on other hand, Hoseok was calm as a Belgian.

  Hoseok crouched down in front of me and told me to be quiet.

"Why couldn't you wait until the mor-" Hoseok shut me up with a hand on my mouth and a glare.

  I held my breath when not so distant footsteps were heard. I clutched onto Hoseok's sweater as his body was so close, covering me. A light seeped into the hallway and I was praying for my life in my head.

  God actually heard my prayers this time: the security guard didn't even bother shining his flashlight down the hallway where Hoseok and I found refuge and just walked down the hallway away from us.

  We then quickly ran out of the building, jumped over the fence and ran the whole way home.

  The moment we opened the front door, we immediately collapsed.

 "I swear I'm gonna kill you one day." I declared, still out of breath as Hoseok and I literally laid on the marble floor of the foyer.

 "I'm looking forward to that day." Hoseok chuckled as he stood up. "So, you're going to sleep here?" The boy looked down at me with a teasing smirk.

  I chuckled as I got up and started to make my way up the stairs and Hoseok followed after. But than a slap on my rear made me halt in my steps.

 "Are you ing kidding me?" I turned around to glare at Hoseok.

 "Sweet dreams, baby doll." The male smirked and walked past me and disappeared into the dark hallway.

 "That ing buttbreath!" I hissed under my breath as I was left alone on the staircase, swinging my fist in the air.