Chapter 4

Summer Vacation

 

[Hoseok's POV]

 

  After the first period, Changkyun, Minhyuk and I went out to the lockers where we and the others decided to meet up.

 "Hey!" Minhyuk waved at the guys as we were walking up to them with a big smile on his face.

 "What's with you? You seem more excited than usual." Kihyun commented as he was leaning against one of the lockers.

 "We are in the same group as the girl living with Hoseok." Changkyun explained.

 "Really?! You lucky little bastards!" Jooheon slapped my back.

 "Why the hell did you hit me?!" I yelled.

 "So how is she?" Jooheon ignored me and stared at Minhyuk and Changkyun in anticipation. I looked at the others and they were the same, even though Kihyun was the most mature one and Hyungwon wasn't as wild as my other friends.

 "She's seems to be a little shy or she just didn't want to talk to us because of him." Minhyuk pursed his lips together and pointed his thumb at me.

 "Am I the problem?!" I raised my voice. "And for your information, she's not shy and she's a ." I commented but I was just shrugged off as the guys started to fanboy.

 "Oh, my God! Really?" A voice got my attention as it was quite familiar.

  I turned around and saw Mina and two other girls walking down the hallway.

 "Oh, Mina!" Minhyuk waved his arms in the air and caught the girls' attention.

 "So that's her?" Hyungwon leaned towards me and whispered. I shot him a look and he took it as a 'yes'.

 "Hi." Mina timidly greeted us as she and the other girls walked past us. What's with her? I narrowed my eyes on her. What's with this shy and innocent girl act?

 "You were right - it's Hoseok's fault she doesn't want to talk to us." Kihyun commented as he watched the three girls walk away.

 "All of you are getting on my nerves!" I sighed heavily and turned around, walking back to the classroom.

 

----

 

[Mina's POV]

 

  Juhyun, Sooyoung and I were walking down the hall while chatting.

 "One time, Sungjae and I decided to go see a movie and we choose to watch a horror movie. Well, I chose it." Sooyoung was telling us about her boyfriend. "It was quite early in the morning, so the movie theater was empty. Sungjae actually got startled when one of the workers closed the doors! And during the movie, he cried! That's how scared he was!" She laughed.

 "Oh, my God! Really?" I laughed and Juhyun joined me.

 "Oh, Mina!" A voice shouted.

  We all looked ahead of us and found Minhyuk waving to us. He was standing with Hoseok's other friends, two of which I didn't recognize.

 "Hi." I said timidly, ignoring Hoseok's glare, and walking past the group of boys.

 "Do you want a detailed run-down on them?" Juhyun whispered.

 "Detailed?" I looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

 "They're very popular here, so of course it's detailed."

 "Sure-" The bell rang, interrupting me, and we hurried to our class.

 

----

 

  The bell rang the same time as my stomach growled. Great timing!

  It was finally lunch break.

  Juhyun, Sooyoung and I made our way to the cafeteria. We all got the same - pizza. We took our trays to an empty table near the entrance.

 "So you came from Busan to Seoul just for the summer school? I mean, there aren't any in Busan?" Juhyun asked and took a bite of her pizza slice.

 "There are plenty of summer schools in Busan." I began after taking a sip of water from my bottle. "But my parents were going on a two and a half month cruise and my brother was going to visit his girlfriend in the states for the summer. My parents thought I couldn't spend that much time on my own - even though I'm totally capable of taking care of myself - and sent me here to my step-dad's friend's place and they thought that attending summer school would be better for me than laying in a bed full of Doritos' crumbs." I ended with an eye-roll.

 "It definitely to study while others are going on vacations and having fun... And I can't see Sungjae since he's on vacation with his parents.." Sooyoung pouted.

 "You know, some of us are not that lucky in finding boyfriends for themselves." Juhyun commented jokingly and pointed at herself and me.

 "Give me a break, we started dating not that long ago, let me live my life." Sooyoung laughed and so did we.

 "You said you're gonna give me a detailed run-down on Hoseok and his friends." I reminded Juhyun and her eyes widened.

 "Right!" She exclaimed. "Okay, so I'm gonna start with Shin Hoseok. He's a total hottie who has every girl in this school drooling over him. But the thing is, he has turned down every girl that confessed to him. And there's still so many stupid girls who are confessing, even though they know they don't have a chance with him 'cause he the one leading them on - he's usually lewd and flirty towards the girls, with his smirks, winks and all."

 "Moving on..." Sooyoung took over. "The guy with short black hair is Son Hyunwoo. He's the same as Hoseok; handsome with a flok of girls swooning over him. He's been nicknamed Robot Hyunwoo."

 "What kind of nickname is that?" I snickered as I continued eating my slice of pizza.

 "He doesn't know how to act in front of girls, so he usually ends up talking in a monotone with a straight face. He doesn't know how to act cute either." Sooyoung giggled and took a sip of her coke.

 "Lee Minhyuk - the blondie with a toothy smile - is the complete opposite of him, though." Juhyun pointed her long finger in the air. "He's really friendly and funny; he's the happy virus of the group. He's really open with everyone.

  The same goes for the slit-eyed Lee Jooheon. He can can look menacing one moment and a cutie patootie the other."

 "The one with brown hair is Yoo Kihyun. He's the most mature one and he's really nice. We were seatmates in Biology last year." Sooyoung butted in. "The cinnamon roll with a deep voice is Lim Changkyun. He's quite shy so he always has a poker face on. But when he's with his friends, he's all smiles and giggles.

  Chae Hyungwon is the pretty boy with plump lips. He's quiet - that's all we know about him."

 "All of them are the most popular ones in school, who are currently single." Juhyun ended the run-down and inhaled some air as she was short of it form all the talking.

 "Really?" I said, going over everything again in my head.

 "Mina!" I heard someone call my name from behind. I turned around to find Joohyuk standing with a big smile on his face and a tray with food in his hands. "Is this seat taken?" He walked to the seat next to mine.

  I shook my head and he sat down.

 "It's a bummer we did get to be in the same group..." Joohyuk took a bite of his pizza slice. "But it's good you found some friends." He looked over to Sooyoung and Juhyun who smiled in response.

  And we all continued to eat and chat until the bell rang.

 "Oh, Mina." Joohyuk called as we were about to go separate ways.

 "Yeah?" I turned around to look at him.

 "I'll be waiting for you by the lockers after school, let's go home together." Joohyuk said with a shy smile.

 "Sure." I nodded as felt my cheeks heat up. Then Juhyun, Sooyoung and I hurried to our classroom.

 

----

 

 "So how do you know Joohyuk?" Sooyoung asked she and Juhyun waited for me to gather my things.

 "I just happened to meet him." I said looking at the two excited girls in front of me amusingly.

 "He's also one of the most popular guys in school. You're lucky, Mina." Juhyun nudged my side with her elbow as I shot her a look as we made our way out of the school.

 "Mina!" I saw Joohyuk at the gate with his bike standing next to him.

 "We'll see you tomorrow." Sooyoung and Juhyun left me with some playful winks and I walked up to Joohyuk.

 "So how was the school? Do you like it here?" Joohyuk asked.

 "I definitely do not like that I have to study during summer, but it's quite nice here." I answered making Joohyuk laugh.

 "Hey, you." A cold voice said behind me. I turned around to see Hoseok, glaring at me.

 "What?" I asked with a sigh.

 "Mom said to take you home." He said in an uninterested tone.

 "I'm taking her home." Joohyuk interfered and Hoseok narrowed his eyes on him.

 "Whatever." Hoseok rolled his eyes and walked away.

 "Don't mind him." I waved my hand in the air. And Joohyuk and I made our way out of the school grounds.

 "What was that about Hoseok' mother telling him to take you home?" Joohyuk asked and glanced at me

 "Oh, that? I'm staying at Hoseok's house." I said nonchalantly.

 "You're kidding right?" Joohyuk looked at me warily.

 "Unfortunately, no." I scrunched my face.

 "How did you end up staying at his house?" The male asked.

 "Remember how I said that I was staying at family' friend's when we met? That's how I ended up living with that ." I heaved a sigh as Joohyuk nodded his head while looking at me with pity.

 "So you'll be leaving after the summer school?" The male's voice that was laced with disappointment made me chuckle.

 "No, I'm staying 'til my parents come back from their two and a half month cruise."

 "That's great!" Joohyuk's face lit up. "I'm really looking forward to hanging out with you!" I smiled at Joohyuk as he beamed.

 The walk to the Shin's house seamed shorter when Joohyuk and I chatted.

 "See you tomorrow!" I bid my goodbye as we stood at the big gate in front of the mansion and turned around and started making my way to the front porch.

 "Wait, Mina!" Joohyuk's voice stopped me. I turned around and watched him prop his bike against the gate and run up to me.

 "What is it?" I asked curiously as the male in front of me pat his front and back pockets of his jeans as if he was looking for something. Joohyuk cursed under his breath and ran back to the bike. He searched for something in his backpack, ping all the compartments, as I stood watching him amusingly.

 "There it is!" He exclaimed and quickly legged back in front of me, his phone in his hand.

 "Can you give me your number?" Joohyuk blurted out and his eyes widened. "I-I mean-" He cleared his throat, averting his eyes to the side. "I-If you're ever bored, you could just text me. I'm rarely busy."

 "Sure." I chuckled as Joohyuk handed me his phone.

  I saved my phone number in Joohyuk's phone book. He then sent me a text so I could save his number, too.

 "Then, see you tomorrow!" Joohyuk waved goodbye as he got on his bike and went off.

  I giggled to myself as I made my way to the house.

 "Welcome back, Mina." Eunmi greeted me as I opened the front door. I smiled in response.

 "You're home!" Mrs. Shin beamed as she saw me pass the dining room.

 "Hello!" I smiled at the woman. She was setting up the table with the other maids.

 "Go and change, then come down for dinner, sweetheart." Mrs. Shin informed me and with a nod, I walked up the stairs and to my room.

  I quickly changed to a simple pair of denim cut-offs and a simple t-shirt, and went to the dining room.

 "So how was today?" Mrs. Shin blinked her eyes in anticipation after we all sat down at the table and began eating our dinner. But only Mr. Shin was absent since he was still at work.

 "It was great!" I smiled.

 "Did you make any friends?" The woman asked again and I heard Hoseok sigh beside me.

 "Yes, I did." I ignored the boy next to me and responded.

 "That's great!" Mrs. Shin clapped with a proud smile on her face. "I was really worried about you..." She continued with a sad pout.

 "And what about me? Weren't you worried for your own son?" Hoseok butted in, his eyebrows knitted in a frown.

 "You've been going to that school since long ago." The woman waved her hand at him. "Besides, you have friends, unlike Mina here."

 "Oh, you're wrong!" Hoseok rolled his eyes. What's with you, you bell-end? "She's been here for only three days, but she has already found herself a buddy." He said, grimacing at the word 'buddy'.

 "You mean Joohyuk?" I asked and just received an eye roll from the boy.

 "Don't say his name." He glared at me.

 "Well, he's not Voldemort, so I can say his name." I lightly snorted and went back to eating my dinner.

 "Joohyuk? Mrs. Kang's nephew?" Mrs. Shin was watching me and Hoseok curiously the whole time.

 "Yeah, that one." Hoseok said with distaste.

 "Oh, he's a sweetie!" Mrs. Shin dismissed Hoseok's glare and exclaimed. "And not to mention, good-looking!" She then turned to wink at me. I laughed and went back to the lonely steak in my plate.

  I laughed because of two reasons. First, Mrs. Shin was being really cute and secondly - Hoseok's angry face brought me so much happiness.

 

----

 

  After the dinner, I went up to my room to do the homework that was already given on the first day of summer school. I did struggle but I did all of it.

  When I was done with that, I decided to type up an email to my older brother since I really missed him and I knew he was worried about me.

  I then decided to go wash up and then call it a night.

  I got all my stuff and checked if the bathroom was unoccupied. Seeing it wasn't, I let myself in and began with my night routine. I decided to take a hot and relaxing shower.

  As I came out, I heard the bathroom door click open.

  Hoseok walked in with his attention on his phone. I was shocked to realize I forgot to lock the door and screamed from the top of my lungs.

  Hoseok was startled and looked up from his phone at me with wide eyes. As I scrambled to cover myself with a towel, I saw the male's eyes widen even more and his jaw drop.

 "Get out!" I yelled as he still stared at me. Broken from his trance, he quickly scurried out of the bathroom, banging the door shut.