Darling Divine

Five Songs to Sunday

“Why is your fridge always so well stocked?” Rome inquires.

They’re sitting on stools across from each other at the kitchen island.

“Because I’m always going out for groceries. I hate it when there’s no food around.”

Kangjun digs his spoon into their impromptu dessert – vanilla ice cream. They’re taking dessert directly from the tub, since they’re both too lazy to clean up after.

“I’m always too busy for groceries.”

He then shoots Kangjun an inquisitive look.

“I’m not going to be your mom.”

“Fine, be like that.”

They continue taking spoonfuls from the tub. In that moment, Rome’s heart begins to flutter – he’s running over his final secret plan of the day through his head.

“Kangjun, let’s play a game.”

“But why?”

“Because I’m bored.”

Rome chucks his spoon in the sink to emphasize his point. Bitterly, Kangjun puts his own spoon in the same spot before putting the ice cream tub back into the freezer. He follows Rome as leans against the dinner table, browsing through his phone.

“What are you doing?”

Rome remains silent. Kangjun attemps to look over his shoulder, but Rome moves his body so his phone screen remains a mystery.

“What are you trying to do?”

“You’ll see.”

Immediately, a soft guitar tune emanates from the phone speaker – it’s soft, and simple, yet endearing. Rome then places the phone on the table. Kangjun takes a swift glance of the phone screen and notes the name of the song to be Darling Divine. As he processes this information in his head, two arms wrap warmly around his waist.

And truthfully, Kangjun expects to be pulled into some passionate kiss. It’s how they usually end their weekends together -- a heated make-out session followed by some love making on Kangjun’s bed. Sometimes in his shower. Yet Rome’s arms wrap around him, with no attack to the face. Instead the arms gently rock his body from side to side.

Chills down my spine,
when I feel your heart next to mine
.

It takes a moment for Kangjun to realize what’s happening, though when he does his smile is at once sincere and full of warmth.

Feel the ground beneath my feet turn into the sky.
Feel this thing so strong and true, it can’t be a lie.

“We’re dancing.” He notes.

“Yep.”

“Is this your idea of a game?”

It's nearly dark in the apartment, save for the one light in the kitchen, and the lights outside the apartment window coming from the adjacent skyscrapers. Kangjun places his hands on Rome’s shoulders, staring at his feet to make sure he’s not stepping on anyone's toes.

“It’s nothing new. We’ve gone clubbing.” Rome mentions.

“But that’s clubbing.”

They’re used to jumping and fist-pumping to loud electronic beats. Hence, this is unfamiliar territory for the two of them. Rome’s arms are tense with uncertainty, wondering whether his hands are in the right place according to what he’s seen in the movies. And every other second, Kangjun glances at the floor making sure their feet don’t crash into each other, or worse.

I can’t breathe, when you’re not around
Can’t believe this perfect love that I have found

“Are you okay, Kangjun?”

Kangjun nods silently, not wanting to ruin thia moment.

Thinking darling that your voice is the only sound.
That can keep my feet so strongly to the ground.

And a million things are racing in their heads. Rome’s hoping his intentions are clear. They’ve spent almost two years dating, going out for food, or movies, or to the bar, or the market. Kangjun’s going through a similar train of thought in his head.

So I’ll wait, just waiting for the sign
That your love is not only mine

Some days for them were bright and happy, full of adventure and good memories. Other days were full of tears – moments of frustration and fear and uncertainty. There were nights where Rome’s showed on his front door in a drunken stupor. There were nights where Kangjun’s returned the favour. The peaceful mornings after were always something they both relished. Kangjun feels like he should have seen this coming. He’s wanted this to happen for quite some time.

I can’t believe this feeling, seeping out my smile
I think I’ll hold onto this heart for a while.

And in the dim light, their eyes find each other. They both begin to get a sense of what this dance means for them – for once their bodies are connected in a manner that isn’t sensual or lustful. For once they’re not playing games. And in knowledge of this, they begin and melt into the other. Their feet somehow find the steps to this waltz.

Just hoping that I could claim you as my own,
my darling divine.

And with that the music fades, and their first slow dance comes to a slow stop, neither of them wanting the moment to end.

“So,” Kangjun breaks the silence, “what’s that all about?”

“I wanted to ask you this at the end of today.” Rome states, calmly, eyes beaming with both hope and confidence. “Would you… be my boyfriend?”

Kangjun’s eyes begin to fill with happy tears. They’re finally done with games. He happily kisses Rome, once, twice, three times.

“Yes!”

 

...

They're both lying in bed, having washed up and changed into their night clothes -- tank tops and basketball shorts.

"Were you planning to ask me out all along?"

"Yeah. You have no idea how stressed I've been."

"What do you mean?"

"If today went bad then I'd have to do it all over again."

"So now that I've said yes, we're never going out like this ever again?"

Rome chuckles. "Only if you kiss me good night."

Kangjun comes in closer, and the two share in one final kiss for the evening.

"Goodnight, Rome."

Kangjun rolls over so that Rome's body can curve around him, arm slipping under his to hold him warmly. They fall asleep to the sound of the other's steady breathing.

 

The End

...

A/N: And that's a wrap! As a little easter egg, the title of each chapter relates to a song, making up a list of five songs (hence the title Five Songs To Sunday). I'll make note of those songs down below for reference:

1. The Worst Guys by Childish Gambino
2. Locket by Kilo Kish
3. Poetic Justice by Elli Ingram (originally performed by Kendrick Lamar)
4. See Me by Tei Shi
5. Darling Divine by Wild Child