Poetic Justice

Five Songs to Sunday

They’re sitting down at restaurant on the pier. The pier looks ancient, but not neglected. It exists in its own timeline, preserved in its own golden era. Nonetheless, on this day the pier is reasonably empty. They can hear each other without shouting. They can feel the breeze carried by the Pacific waves.

“Here you go -- two baskets of fish and chips,” says a rather petite girl as she sets down the two orders which are charmingly plated with newspaper, keeping with the English tradition.

“Omo!” Kangjun exclaims.

“Thank you so much!” Rome replies.

“You’re welcome! Is there anything else I can help you with?”

“What do you have on tap?”

The waitress listing the imports bar received that day, before Rome sends her off with an order for two pints of Asahi Black Lager.

“I suppose you want me to call you oppa?” Kangjun teases.

“I did promise to pay for lunch.” Rome clarifies.

“But I was gonna pay for the drinks after brunch.”

“I knew you wanted something to drink now since you’re such an alcoholic.”

“Excuse me, have I ever barfed on you?” Kangjun defends.

Kangjun’s right – he’s never been the irresponsible drinker. If anything, Rome was more notorious for tiptoeing with his limits.

“You’re far from what I’d expect when you’re drunk.”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re like the philosopher drunk,” Rome explains, leaning back in his chair, “the one who asks all the deep and personal questions.”

“I’m sorry I’m not like you – all touchy and .”

Rome chuckles at the thought. “You’re cute.”

“I’m not cute, I’m handsome.” Kangjun says, dipping a single french fry in the garlic mayo dip.

"Oppa." Rome corrects Kangjun.

 

...

“This is a nice change from eating at the mall. But, no offense, I thought we’d be eating somewhere fancier.”

“I’m sorry, my suit would have wrinkled in my backpack,” Rome replies, “unless you thought we’d dine in wearing swimming trunks and flip flops.”

“Come to think of it, I’ve never seen you in a suit outside of when we're performing.”

“Well, you’ll have to think a way to get me into a suit.”

“Will you marry me, oppa?”

“That’s a bit too fast.”

"I can think of plenty of ways to get you out of a suit."

Rome laughs. Kangjun snickers mischievously.

 

“What do you want to do in five years?” Kangjun asks.

Rome doesn’t mind the turn in conversation. He’s in the right mood to just talk, no extra pints needed. It’s the breeze. It’s the beer. It’s the boy in front of him.

“Probably filming. I’d love to try working as a director.” Rome replies.

“That sounds like you’ll have a lot of fun. You’ll be travelling the world…” Kangjun emphasizes the last part, staring across the Pacific as if scouting out the continents where Rome's filming would take him.

“Or I can just shoot here in Seoul.”

“…you’ll be working with Kim Soo Hyun or a Yeo Jingoo, and all the handsome actors…”

“Or I could just film old people." Rome argues back. "What about you, Kangjun? If you're going to be a solo act, you'll be on all those variety shows with the pop artists and movie stars. I won’t see you around at all.”

"Cast me in one of your movies."

“Then I'll be sure to contract you for many sequels too.”

"Then you'll get tired of me."

"Never."

Kangjun bites his lip, staring back into the distance as the waves make their way to the pier and the beach. In his periperhal vision, he sees Rome smiling from ear to ear at his succesful flattery.

“You’re letting me treat you to dinner today.” Kangjun declares.

“Really?”

“I refuse to call you oppa.”

Rome raises his hand and flags down the waitress for the bill.

 

“Lift your arms up?" The sales associate asks. Rome complies.

The sales associate, an old looking fellow with grey slicked back hair, is smoothing out the suit fabric along Rome's torso. Kangjun eyes the motion as the fabric neatly hugs Rome's broad frame.

"What's the occassion for?"

"He wants to make his father believe he's a grown man." Kangjun teases. In turn he catches a death glare from Rome.

“I just wanted to try it out.”

“I dare say the suit fits you almost perfectly," the sales associate remarks. "You look dashing."

“Yes you really do.” Kangjun agrees.

Stumbling into the only formal menswear shop by the pier was perhaps the best idea yet, that day in Kangjun's opinion. Even if it would make Rome's ego inflate ten fold, he stared on dreamily, shamelessly, at the boy clad in navy blue.