The Dragon and The Hero [DBSK & BIG BANG]

SHINee (& others) shorts

 

A man stood at the edge to the stage and looked out at the crowd. They cheered as the next star battle was announced and he applauded too in support for his band member. This man was joined by another, who also applauded for his own band member.

The two men acknowledged each other.

 “Hero,” one greeted.

 “Dragon,” the other replied.

They stared at each other for long seconds before they erupted with laughter. Jaejoong reached out to Jiyong and playfully punched him on his arm. The younger sheepishly grinned and gave his senior a proper greeting.

They stood side by side and watched Taeyang, dressed in white, demonstrate yet again his piano skills.

 “You won’t believe how excited he was to be asked to do this,” Jiyong said, indicating the two grand pianos on the stage. Junsu was swaying at the white piano as he waited, silently singing along with his competitor. “He would not shut up about the honour of performing with Junsu. He had kept us awake with his constant playing. Did you know that he spent an entire week trying to find the best song to perform?”

Jaejoong joined in with Jiyong’s amusement and leaned towards him to share his own story. “Junsu was in a panic for a week because he didn’t want to ruin Taeyang’s stage. He felt like a rookie with the piano and kept hounding Yoochun to help him improve his skills. Poor Chunnie-ah ended up running away during the final days!”

They turned back to the show with smiles on their faces. Jiyong gave an appreciative nod as Junsu began his piece and commented that it was a brilliant performance. Junsu is the clear winner. But Jaejoong shook his head and insisted that with this battle, Taeyang was the king.

 

 

 

 

The next year, three men sat about a table with broken hearts. Their minds felt like bricks. It was done. A phone rang and Jaejoong stirred. He checked the caller ID and decided to accept this particular call.

 “Hyung,” Jiyong cautiously greeted him. “I heard the news, is it true?”

 “Yes, Jiyong,” Jaejoong replied with a heavy sigh. “I am terminating my contract with the company.”

There was silence on the other end; and then ... “Is there anything I can do for you?”

“A drinking partner would be good,” Jaejoong suggested and they made arrangements.

 

 

 

 

A couple of years later, four men kept each other’s company in their living room. Their positions formed a loose supportive circle about the prone figure on the couch. Jiyong had hidden himself within blankets.

The phone on the table rang and Seunghyun checked the caller ID. He answered the call; Jiyong would have answered the call.

 “Hyung,” he greeted Jaejoong. “No, he’s hidden himself away. He hasn’t said much since the scandal broke across the news.” He answered the other’s questions and agreed to the plan.

A knock sounded on their front door minutes later and Daesung welcomed Jaejoong. He watched their guest sit next to the human cacoon and pull apart the blankets to show Jiyong’s face, eyes clenched shut with embarrassment.

 “Come,” Jaejoong commanded, “let’s go get coffee.”

 

 

 

A year after that, a man stood in the toilet facilities, fixing his disguise. He wanted to enjoy the show; it was going to be a big moment for his friend. He walked out and made his way to the backstage rooms. He would say his good lucks before he will go to his assigned seat. Jaejoong showed his entry pass to the guard outside Jiyong’s change room and knocked before he entered.

“The Dragon!” he shouted his greeting and enveloped the superstar within his arms. “You see! You’re Still Alive to perform in Seoul. What did I say, hey? Hey?” Jiyong pushed him away and complained about his lame joke.

When it came time for him to start his concert, he gave an apologetic wave and told the other that he’d better see him in the crowd with at least a light stick! Jaejoong nodded and went to the table of props set aside for the concert. He picked up a light stick with a crown, a sticker with Jiyong’s name on it. It was with a smirk that he took it with him, leaving the name tag on the table with a note of thanks to explain the theft.

 

 

 

 

The next year, a man pushed his way through the crowd of artists preparing themselves for the recording. He wanted to find his friend and celebrate with him this momentous occasion. This was just the start, a promising return to Korean media as a singer.

Jiyong found the room with Jaejoong’s name. He knocked and then pushed through with one of his biggest grins. “My Hero, save me with your rocking performance tonight!” he shouted with his hands in the air. He mimed bowing down as if to a king. Jaejoong laughed his appreciation and pulled him into the seat next to him. He was finishing his makeup.

Jiyong turned in his seat and greeted Yoochun and Junsu, who were also present to share with their band mate’s return to Inkigayo. He promised them that they will be back here too, soon, once they released their new album.

The four men waited until Jaejoong was called onto stage. Before he left, Jiyong mischievously pulled out a green light stick from his back pocket and told him that he expected a wink and a blown kiss to him during the performance.

Jaejoong gave a wicked grin and told him to look out for it.

 

 

 

 

- THE END -