Chapter 3

Red Silk

 

Hey!!! It’s me, Hani! This is my second chapter of this story! Do you know how hard this was to write?! I was swamped with performances and trips at school, as well as prepping for exams when I missed about one and a half units at school... Yeah, basically the last few months have been a fiery heck for me... But! I have an easier course load this semester (French, English, and Pre-calculus), so I should be able to try and update more often. Again, I’m on my knees apologizing for being so late... Forgive me??? Well, on with it!

Some people are perfectly fine on their first day of high school. Others get really scared and anxious. I, on the other hand, ended up making a very good friend. With the floor. Ugh.

Getting over the initial shock, I realized I was still on top of the person I bumped (was thrown) into. Embarrassment took over as I scrambled to get off of the girl I landed on (I knew it was a girl because my head hit her chest). Standing quickly, I had managed to pull her up with me. I turned in a rush, only catching a glimpse of long, straight black hair before saying a quick “sorry” and hurrying away.

HyoYeon was trying not to burst into laughter but her shoulders, which were shacking wildly, gave her away. “Oh, just quit pretending and laugh already.”

She listened to me (for once) and started to laugh. “I’m so sorry, Soo-ah... Ah-ha-ha! ... I just... ha... I can’t help it! You -hee! - just- ah... You basically molested that poor girl! Ah-ha!”

My cheeks warmed up as I tried to defend myself. “Well, whose fault is that? If you hadn’t pushed me, that wouldn’t have happened!”

HyoYeonie calmed down, though she still had a smile on her face. “I know. I’m sorry... Now come on, we better get a seat in the gym.”

Grabbing my hand again so we didn’t get separated, HyoYeon led the way into the gym. She pulled me lightly up the stairs of the bleachers and into a row halfway above the gym floor. Looking around, I thought to myself, ‘So... these are the people I’m going to spend the next three years with.’

I could even see the cliques and groups forming. At the bottom of the stairs I saw the obvious “cheerleader” types flirting with the “jocks”, who I could tell wanted to either become a weight-lifting junky or join one or more of the sports teams. Near the right side was the crowd of punk rockers and to the left were the nerds and geeks. In the middle and top were the rest. The nobodies. The ones who didn’t stand out. Basically, who me and HyoYeonie are.

Sitting through the boring presentation, I (as many people before me) had zoned off. Why was I always the one in the background? Though, I don’t like being in the exact center of attention. I guess what I mean is, why must there even be a person in the dark all the time? Who designated that there had to be specific types of people who had to act and dress a certain way? It just caused more insecurity and, in my opinion, too much normality. No more variety, unless someone decided to wear purple socks instead of white.

Being shaken out of my reverie by HyoYeonie, I found that the presentation was over and it was time to leave. I think I’m starting to realize that HyoYeon like her skinship violent.

Before I zoned out again, I realized that I truly had no idea what just happened. “Ummm, HyoYeonie...”

She gave me a bored and exasperated look. “I know. We are done here for today, we need to get our lockers, and find out who our advisors are. By the way, we meet them tomorrow at eight.”

She led me to the doors of the gymnasium and we followed the crowd of kids moving to another set of doors right beside the ones of the larger gym. It turns out that there’s a smaller gym that connects to the way bigger gym and it was set up for locker registration. Of course, we had to be at the back of the line. So annoying...!

After registration was over, HyoYeon and I walked down a staircase that led down to the basement where our locker was located. Forty-eight... forty-nine... fifty~~... two! We glanced at our new locker for the year, and then back at each other. It looked a bit skinny for two people, but I guess we can make it work. HyoYeonie fished into her bag and pulled out the lock. She slapped it on quickly and we turned to leave.

Exiting out of the main entrance by the gym, we giggled in excitement about what we thought classes would be like. Suddenly, a gust of wind blew that knocked my glasses off. “Whoa!”

HyoYeon looked back to me. “You ok?”

I smiled to reassure her. “Yeah, I’m good! You go ahead; I just need to put my glasses back on.”

I could tell from the sound of her footsteps that she had crossed the street. Reaching down, I picked up my glasses and readjusted them over my eyes. I dusted myself off as I started to cross the street. “Look out!”

HyoYeon gave a small shriek as I felt myself get pushed a couple of feet away from where I was originally standing. Strong, secure arms were pressing me tightly against a warm chest. It felt solid and toned, but still slim.

Trying to register what just happened, I watched as a random car went speeding down the road. I didn’t feel anything as I was pulled up. The person holding me walked me across the rest of the way to the bus stop, and I only just realized that I was shaking. The feeling of being held close to something warm and solid comforted me. Large hands were rubbing comforting circles on my back.

Slowly coming back to my senses, I looked up at my saviour, although not really seeing him. “Th... Thank yo-ou...”

A baritone voice answered, “It’s ok. Just take your time. Breathe. Relax.”

His words had a soothing affect. Somehow I kept thinking to myself that I could get comfortable like this. Letting go of me, I watched as he turned and left HyoYeon and I behind. It was then that I noticed HyoYeonie freaking out.

“Oh my God!!! Gwenchanayo?! Oh my God!!!” And on she went.

As the bus pulled up and we got on, I only then realized something. That entire time, he wasn’t holding me. I was the one clinging to him. 

how was it? comments? :))