Chapter 1

Red Silk

'Where am I? Why is there so much...red?' I'm trying to look around, but all I see are these red strings. Moving my arm up, I touch the tips of my fingers to the red ribbons. As my fingers ghost over strong-looking threads, they shattered, dissolving into nothingness. Soon they all started shattering faster and faster. Through the chaos I hear someone's voice calling, "Hyunsoo! Hyunsoo!"

"Hyunsoo!"

Gasping, I shot back into wakefulness. My mother walked through the door as I tried to sit up. I just gave up as she stood over me. She seemed a bit flustered from trying to wake me up. "Hyunsoo, get out of your bed! It's orientation day today, you have to get up!" And out the doors she walked.

Wha...? Drowsily, I looked at my clock. '8:20...? hnnnn...' Wait, what?! 8:20?! Orientation starts at 9:15, and the bus leaves at 8:45! "How in the world did I sleep in?!" Shocked as I was, I didn't pay attention to my surroundings. I rolled to my side not noticing that the edge of my bed was really much closer than I previously thought. I promptly and painfully fell off my head. "Ha-ha"

I heard I slightly nasal, teasing voice and looked up in frustration. "Seohyun!"

My younger sister stopped her teasing promptly after my oh-so famous death glare and walked away. Good. I don't usually pull out that particular move, but it's way too early in the morning to be the usual nice person I am. And don't get me wrong, I love my little Seohyun to death, but she can be really annoying!

As much as I loved my fuzzy red carpet, I was getting fluff up my nose (which is slightly uncomfortable) and I need to hurry to catch the bus. Peeling ymself off the floor, I moved across the room and into the hallway of the apartment.

Hurriedly, I made my way into the bathroom, locking the door behind me and quickly stripping down. I jumped into the shower, almost screaming when the cold water hit my skin. The feeling got amplified by the millions of tiny droplets hitting me one after another. Slowly, it started warming up and I relaxed my tense muscles.

I slowly thought back to four years ago. The only reason(though it's quite a large one) it's so special is because that was the year I had to come to Canada with my family from Korea. Of course, it wasn't easy, you know. What with the normal struggles of immigrants. Nothing worth talking about, right? But I will say that language barriers . Badly. Though I did make friends, it was tough trying to hold conversations.

Getting out of the shower, I quickly brushed my teeth. After the final rise, I hastily slapped on my clothes. My jeans slipped on easily, and I chucked on a white t-shirt with a splatter of hot pink crossing it. Finishing the outfit, I put on a pink cardigan to cover my shoulders and adjusted my glasses over my eyes. I gave myself a quick look once over in the mirror and smoothed my midnight hair. Taking a moment to breathe, I sighed. "I'm ready..I hope."

Scrambling out of the bathroom, I ran out to the front door. Almost tripping over myself, I somehow managed to pull my sandals on. My mom had heard the commotion and stepped out of the kitchen. With a worried look, she asked me "Aren't you going to eat something?"

Turning around quickly, I replied, "No! I'm gonna miss the bus! Bye Moms!"

After screaming that, I ran out of the apartment. Checking my watch, I moved a bit faster. 'Oh, good! It's 8:40! I have five minutes to get to the bus stop.'

Picking up my speed, I ran out of my building and down the streets. Seeing a familiar figure waiting motivated me ot start running faster. Stumbling a bit from my speed, I called to the figure, "Hyoyeon! Hyoyeon-ah!"

She waved at me to hurry up. 'What did she think I was doing?' I thought myself in frustration. After one final stumble I came to a stop in front of her. Bent over, I was panting as I heard heard the bus pulling up. Hyoyeon grabbed my hand to pull me onto the bus. Quickly sitting down, I watched Hyoyeon for a minute. She was readjusting her white shirt over her plain, dark-washed jeans. Wearing her usual dark purple cardigan and thin-framed glasses, she looked calmer than I felt. "I am not!"

Eeep! Well, I guess that's what comes with being friends for so long. She was the first friend I had made after moving to Canada. We actually ended up meeting at church at the Sunday I arrived. Honestly, I was thrilled when I found someone who could speak Korean as well. I was even happier when she agreed to teach me english. We ended up throwing so close that we became like sisters. We even started to basically live at each others' houses.

Suddenly, Hyoyeon turned to me. "You're thinking of that old story again?"

"Wha-how?! How did you-"

"Your face gives it away."

"My pretty face?"

"Yup"

"MY pretty face that's prettier than yours?

"Ye-NO!"

Laughing, we arrived at our stop, which was direclty across from our school. Though I've passed by this gigantic, reddish-brown bricked building before, it never seemed so frightening. Walking across the street to the main entrance, it started to look bigger and bigger, scarier and scarier. Many other new grade tens were already filling into the building, so Hyoyeon and I followed in suit.

Reaching the doors, Hyoyeon noticed that I was lagging behind. Suddenly feeling something tugging my wrist, I went flying forward through the doors. Unable to stop, I blindly collided with another person, sending us both flying to the ground. What a great impression to make on the first day of high school.

 

*what do you guys think? hhmm? comments?*