Racer's High

Drift7

Mark was frightened by how much Bam Bam's expression had changed in such a short period of time.

Bam Bam was someone with a naturally cute face, but in the blink of an eye his large round eyes were narrowed in concentration, a ghost of a smirk on his lips. 

"Relax"
 
Bam Bam glanced at Mark from the corner of his eye. Mark's shoulders were hunched up to his ears, fingers gripping the edges of the pizza boxes in his lap. 
 
"You're in good hands." Bam Bam continued. 
 
Mark was not ready to trust someone he had just met. 
 
They were currently racing through Bam Bam's ritzy neighborhood. At this time of night, the lights in the windows of the mansions they were whizzing by were all out. Everybody was likely asleep. The speedometer was clocking in at 80 miles per hour in a neighborhood zone. 
 
For someone used to driving a pizza delivery car all day, it was only natural that dashboard of a Lambourghini seemed foreign and unfamiliar to Mark.
 
What caught his eye, though, was an encased red button glowing unnaturally against the dim blue glow of the car's radio interface.
 
The words "DO NOT TOUCH" were taped onto the casing. 
 
Mark faintly wondered what the button was for. A sharp turn jolted Mark out of his thoughts.
 
"If I know Jackson, there's a good chance he's headed to Canal City."
 
"Canal? What canal?"
 
"Geez, I'm not even from Seoul and I know this stuff" Bam Bam let out a sigh. "Well, long story short, some corporation tried to build a new apartment complex called Canal city. They ran out of money, and construction hasn't picked up in years. It's a real estate disaster, but hey it's perfect for street racing."
 
"So you race in the canal?... Isn't that kind of small?"
 
Mark winced as Bam Bam raced past a red light. They were on the main road now.
 
"Bingo. The canal's big enough for 4 cars. Most of us use it for quarter mile drag races. Short but lucrative".
 
Mark glanced at the analog clock on the dashboard. 2 AM.
 
He worked everyday, but Sunday was the only day he worked the night shift.
After a number of requests from loyal customers (mostly students), the pizza shop decided to introduce "night owl hours".
 
For a pizza shop with only two employees including himself, it was only inevitable that he take the extra hours. it's not like he had any other option to make money anyway.
 
Bam Bam let out an impressed whistle.
 
"Well look who's here"
 
The back of Mark's silver delivery car was a few meters ahead in full view. The logo for the pizza shop, "7Pizzas" was also quite visible against the rear view window.
The "7" stood for two things, the 7 days of the week the shop was opened, and the 7 types of cheeses available as toppings.
 
Bam Bam shifted his gears and immediately flipped open the casing for the red button with a flick of his thumb. As soon as Bam Bam pressed the button, the car sped forward like a plane right before liftoff.
 
The pizza delivery car was beginning to get closer and closer, and eventually the two cars were racing side by side. 
 
"I shouldn't be wasting my juice on a pizza delivery car." Bam Bam scoffed.
 
Bam Bam closed the button casing and shifted gears again. The Lambourghini slowly but surely gained more and more distance from the delivery car until the was a considerable distance between them.
 
"Wohooo! Yea!! Owned you!!" Bam Bam pumped his fist in the air.
 
Bam Bam was clearly on a racer's high and he wasn't coming down anytime soon.
 
Mark, although merely a passenger, found himself grinning widely, his own heart beating fast and pumping adrenaline. You could get addicted to this feeling.
 
Mark was beginning to understand why Bam Bam and Jackson raced in the first place. 
 
He turned to look behind him. At that moment Mark could see a black SUV coming in from the left intersection barrel right into the side of the delivery car behind them. The delivery car that Jackson was currently driving.
 
Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion. Mark could see the silver metal of the car crumble against the force of the oncoming SUV.
 
The delivery car was launched into the air before crashing into the ground and skidding to a lamppost on the other side of the road. 
 
"Holy..." Mark choked on his words.
 
The offending SUV sped away unscathed.
 
Mark felt like he got the wind knocked out of him.
 
"What the--WHAT WAS THAT!?" Bam Bam screamed alarmed. He screeched the car to a halt.
 
"Call 911"