Safe

Drift7

Mark climbed into the passengers seat. Yugyeom kept his car near and tidy. Any personal items that would indicate that this was Yugyeom's car were out of sight.

The sky was painted with orange and pink brushstrokes, while the sun poked out in the horizon. Mark had effectively stayed out all night.

"Hey man, thanks for the ride" Mark closed the door behind him buckled his seatbelt.

"I figured you'd need one" Yugyeom chuckled and shifted gears. When Yugyeom pressed on the gas, the car began to move backwards.

Yugyeom was not a good driver. In fact, the first time Mark experienced  Yugyeom's  driving skills first hand, he vowed never to let Yugyeom drive again.

"Oops" Yugyeom shifted again and the car jolted forward. "Sorry" he apologized with a smile.

Yugyeom glanced at Mark expectantly.

"What? You're not gonna make fun of me for my driving? You always do that."

Usually Mark made a teasing comment, often equating his driving skills with that of a blind person. Today, Mark didn't have the energy to do so. All Mark could think about was Bam Bam's warning he'd received not too long ago.

Mark absently fiddled with the edge of his uniform. After a brief silence, Mark spoke up.

"...Yugyeom?"

"Hm?" Yugyeom signaled to turn left.

"How did you know I was here?"

Yugyeom looked at Mark briefly before returning his eyes to the road.

"Oh, right." Yugyeom chuckled.

Mark examined Yugyeom's face. He wore a small smile on his face, but his expression was unreadable.

"I heard about the accident on the radio and I figured it could only be you. Why?"

Mark stayed silent.

"What happened? Yugyeom asked, this time with concern in his voice.

Mark only let out a long sigh and tightened his grip around the seatbelt cloth. His clenched fingers rested on his chest near his heart.

"Would you believe me if I said someone was trying to kill me?"

"Who?" Yugyeom's eyes had an edge to them. His lips thinned slightly into a frown.

"I don't know...just somebody"

Mark felt sick to his stomach. He would have to sleep with one eye open tonight. If what Bam Bam said was true, did that mean he would have to live the rest of his life in hiding? Mark watched as they to a familiar street.

Mark jolted upright, "I thought we were going back to the shop"

"I'm taking you home. I think you should take the day off today, Mark. You need some rest"

"I'm fine, Yugyeom. I need the hours" Mark protested. Mark wouldn't say it was because he was afraid to be left alone.

"Ok but, don't you think you should, you know..." Yugyeom was choosing his words carefully.

"What?"

"You know... Take a shower?"

"Oh" Mark peeked into his collar and sniffed a bit. "I guess you're right" Mark chuckled.


Mark lived in an apartment complex near a large park in the middle of the city. The location was convenient but the rent didn't make it easy to live there. Yugyeom pulled in front of the apartment building to let Mark out.

"I'm gonna go find parking. I'll meet you up there. We can hang out for a bit before work"

Mark nodded in agreement and entered the cool, air-conditioned building.

The security desk in the lobby was unoccupied, as always. Mark faintly wondered if the desk was just for show. It didn't make him feel any better.

He was watched as the elevator lights blinked up until the 12th floor, and walked to his apartment door.

As he entered the room, his shoes were already half-off. He slipped into the slippers that were lined up neatly for ease of access. He massaged the knots in his neck, yawning as he shuffled towards his living room.

He automatically brought out a hand to flick the light switch on. But the switch was already in the up position.

That's weird. Did he leave the lights on?

Realization dawned on him as he scanned the living room.

Mark didn't own a lot of things, so his apartment rarely ever looked messy. But even he had to admit it looked cleaner than usual.

Couch pillows were fluffed and upright. The DVD and television remotes were lined up on the coffee table in size order. That and the strong smell of cigarettes filled the room.

Mark lifted his gaze to the bookshelf in the corner of the room.

A suited figure stood with his back turned looking at one of Mark's picture frames. The man in the suit looked over his shoulder, holding up the picture frame for Mark to see.

"Good looking family" the man said leisurely. He placed the frame back on the bookshelf and turned around to flip through a book.

For some reason the man looked familiar to him. He had seen his coiffed hair, narrow eyes, and unique bone structure before, but where exactly he had seen it was escaping him.

Realization dawned on him when he recognized how bizarre this actually was. An unknown man had broken into his apartment, what sort of explanation did he need? He was clearly in danger.

Mark took one quiet step backward before bolting for the door.

Click, click. The chilling sound of a gun cocking resounded. Mark stopped in his tracks.

"Don't move. Unless you want your blood to be this room's next paint color"

Mark swallowed his saliva, and slowly raised his hands up.