Where Did You Come From? Pt. 1

A Complicated Mess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Complicated Mess

 

Eunji

 

My chest feels as if I had jumped off of the tallest building in the world.

That's how quickly my heart is beating.

I rub my sweaty palms on my rough school uniform skirt and resist the urge to run away.

My history teacher walks up to me and looks down at my empty white desk. A fire iron is placed against my chest.

"What was it this time?" He asks while loudly scribbling something – probably about how much his former best student is these days - into his black book. Each of his pen cuts right through me, chopping me into little pieces. I've become tofu, in more ways than one.

"I didn't have time." I scratch my knee as if there were ants crawling all over me.

He rolls his eyes and slams a pink slip onto my desk. I take a sharp breath which I don’t release until he is several desks behind me.

My head falls forward as I slam onto the sleek desk. Then, I pull it back and threw a little fit as I run my fingers through my hair.

The air becomes jelly, making every movement and breath difficult.

“Hey, are you okay?," Ji Jun, my best friend, asks with an amused expression. "You're acting a bit strange."

I turn to my right with a slack face. “This is your fault. I was just minding my own business until you came over and forced me into things I didn’t want to do,” I let out an exasperated laugh and add, “On a school night!”

“It’s not forcing if I gave you options,” she says with her sarcastic cat eyes before resting her chin on a fist. “You’d think that the best student in the class would know that" she scratches the back of her neck.  "Besides, you seemed to be having a lot of fun.”

I wait until a girl walking down the aisle passes by and lean in closer to say, “You told me that I had to go to the mall with you or else you’d tell everyone I liked the scholarship student! If that’s not forcing me to do something, I don’t know what is!”

“I’m sure that ordering you to go to the mall at gunpoint is forcing. What I said was more like… encouragement.” Ji Jun wags a finger at me and adds, “So, technically, I didn’t force you to do anything.”

I playfully roll my eyes and sink into my seat. “Whatever.”

She snaps her head back to me, letting her already messy long hair get a little messier. "And what's so bad about liking a scholarship kid? It's not like they carry STDs - not that this would change anything considering the saint you are."

"I am not sure if you were insulting me or not...  but it's not like I've had no experiences at all. I've kissed a few people."

"Who, you're mom?," the atmosphere in our bubble immediately turns awkward at the mention of my mother. It's not like she was abusive or a drunkard or anything bad like that. She just wasn't you ever day mother. The one you see in the happy dramas. She's the kind of mom who chooses work over anyone else not work related. The kind you see once every few years. The kind that sends all of your calls to voicemail. Ji Jun mumbles a little sorry and goes back to the workbook that everyone in the class is supposed to be completing, now that the teacher is gone.

Luckily, the awkwardness ends half an hour later as the teacher comes back into the classroom and places the collected essays on his desk and continues his lecture.

I zone out and think about how this essay would affect my grades. Ji Jun wasn’t kidding when she said I was the best student. I am studying hard to get into SKY in order to get a high position job in the future. Of course, considering how limited such spots are, the competition is tough.

It wasn’t until recently that I began to lose focus on those things – which honestly bore me to death – and pursue new interests. My grades are still good, but not great. That’s a problem for my family, though, where anything below #1 isn’t good enough.

^^^^^^^^^^

"You're so adorably short!" I pinch Ji Jun's irresistible cheeks and pat the top of her head. It's on days where we get the chance to walk arm in arm during or free period where I remember how short she is - standing at only 4'11. Most people don't really downcast her for it because of her powerful presence. She's the kind of person that people look up to as a leader.

She swats my hands away and frowns. "I have features that make up for it."

I laugh and draw the attention of a few other students also in the halls. Not wanting to embarrass her I lower my voice and retort, "Like what, you're ever so noticeable ?"

She blushes and slyly says, "I left Bob at home today, sorry."

I snort at her clever response. "You leave Bob and his two children at home everyday."

"We're discussing asses, ladies?" Says a voice to my left.

I turn to see Jimin - your everyday 'ladies' man' - and smirk. "The hairy kind, yes."

He raises a questioning eyebrow. Did I say something weird or is he too dense to get it? "The kind you ride."

Ji Jun bursts into laughter along with Jimin. "Oh god, I can't breathe."

I still don't get that they're thinking of the unproper term for and - unfortunately - continue. "You know, like the cousin of the horse."

"Did I hear 'horse'?" A voice that I identify as J-Hope's joins in.

"Yes, yes you did. We're discussing about how Ji Jun left her at home."

He smiles, immediately getting it although this is his first time having a conversation with Ji Jun and I.

"Ha! Ji Jun does have no !"  An obnoxious voice practically screeches. It comes from Tracy, an exchange student from China who thinks that going by an English name makes her smart or something. She's like some kind of noob saesang, always following Jimin and his friends around. Basically everyone hates her for her self centered attitude and spectacular mood killing abilities.

I glance at Ji Jun, who is also looking my way, and we reach the same conclusion through this one glance. , who invited you?

Back to reality, Jimin chuckles and responds "Well, I may have no jams, but I've got the best buns here."

Tracy giggles and nods. How totally not creepy. Please note the sarcasm.

J-Hope clears his throat and states, "Honestly, I think Eun Gi Ji's is better."

What the hell? I wasn't bothered by the boys barging into our conversation a minute ago due to their easygoing attitude but when a stranger makes such a remark about you, you will feel weird. I blush and duck behind Ji Jun who smirks.

Then Jimin says, "Bob gets third place. I don't really think that Tracy's gets on the list, though."

Her shoulders sag as she abandons the conversation she tried oh so hard to ruin and walks ahead.

I feel a bit bad until J-Hope yells, "Shots have been fired!"

Maybe the rowdy strangers weren't so bad after all.

Jin

 I haven’t felt this cheerful in a while. If I had to say, the last time would when my college gave me a month off from classes.

It is a Friday and I have nothing to do this weekend so I am planning to invite Eunji to do something fun. Maybe we can go to Jeju Island. Even a water park would do.

I just want to go somewhere with her this weekend. It is the least I can do to make up for her absent parents.

As her neighbor, I feel the duty to take care of her. This involves constant visits and making sure is always safe.

This is why I walk Eunji home from classes as often as I can – much to her annoyance. It isn't my job and no one asks me to do this, but I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that I let my young and pretty female neighbor walk through the dangerous streets at night all by herself.

I stand in Eunji's school's courtyard waiting for her to come out from a long day of classes. I’ve been in her shoes and knew how stressful the pressure to be #1 is. That is why I found a path I wanted and decided to major in the arts. It is my goal to be an actor or entertainer.

Tons of people walk by me - ogling me with their eyes as they do - but none of them are Eun Gi Ji.

All kinds of things happen the longer I stand here. It star

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter