Chapter 4

Where there is anger, there is pain

When Wonshik returned to school a few days after the funeral, Mr. Cha had Taekwoon moved from his inconvenient corner seat by the door to the window seat in front of Wonshik. Wonshik acted as his usual self, either sleeping or staring out the window through class, despite the change. Taekwoon found himself staring out the window as well, now that he finally had one. The classroom had a wonderful view of the soccer field, which made him drift back to the days when he had a soccer team to play with. Legs restlessly jumping, he would miss the entire classes to the field.

Mr. Cha had asked him the day before if he could try to help Wonshik a little with his studies, which had made him laugh. “Teach, I’m a pretty crappy student, I don’t think I can teach him anything.” He had admitted. The teacher had looked a little scandalized at that, telling him “You’re not a crappy student as long as you at least try to learn, Taekwoon.” He did try to learn, but knowledge seemed to peel off of him like dead skin. He had better hopes in sports. Plus, he had a real hard time concentrating.

The day reached a self-study period, and instead of leaving like he usually would, Wonshik stayed at his desk with his head resting on his arms like he was sleeping. Taekwoon turned around sideways on his seat to face him.

“Wonshik” He called quietly, knowing the other was only pretending. A simple murmur of acknowledgement answered him.

“Have you eaten?” He asked. It had come to Taekwoon’s attention that Wonshik’s current situation left him living alone in his parent’s apartment above his father’s mechanic shop, which he apparently had inherited along with everything else his father had owned. Does he even know how to cook?

Wonshik just answered with a shrug, which Taekwoon read as a no. “Wait here, I’ll fetch you some food, okay?” He told him, getting up and leaving before the other could make any protest. He walked straight to the teacher’s office, knocking the door three times when he arrived. The same teacher as last time opened the door and gave Taekwoon one quick look before calling “Hakyeon! Your student’s here again.” and letting him in. He bowed shortly in thanks.

“Hey Taekwoon, what’s up?” Mr. Cha asked him cheerfully, fetching another chair for him as well as sitting down by his own desk. Taekwoon didn’t sit down. “I was wondering if you have some food I can give to Wonshik? I’ve been listening to his stomach rumble all day.” He asked. The young teacher’s eyebrows flew up under the bangs he had covering his entire forehead.

“Goodness! That kid probably doesn’t even know how to cook!” He looked quite scandalized, like he was surprised he had not realized this fact himself before, and got up to move with hurry towards the teacher’s break room. He returned with a lunchbox wrapped in a really colorful cloth, neatly tied at the top.

“My Mom made this for me, make sure he enjoys it.” He smiled as he handed over the box. Taekwoon gave him a grateful smile and a short bow before powerwalking back to the classroom. Self-study was going to end soon and Taekwoon could not listen to the sound of Wonshik’s stomach any longer.

--

“Oh man, this is the best food I’ve ever ate in my life!” Wonshik declared with a pleased smile, mouth so full of food it was a miracle he could speak. Even so he stuffed even more into his mouth, humming happily as he chewed. Taekwoon smiled as he watched him eat, arms and head resting on the back of his chair. “Teach gave you his own lunch, so you better thank him later.” He informed the other. Wonshik nodded as he stuffed even more food into his mouth, still not done swallowing what he already had in there. “Thanks a lot, Taekwoon.” He thanked him, smiling, a little bit of rice flying out of his mouth as he spoke. Taekwoon made a grimace, dodging the rice flying towards his face. “Whatever Wonshik, your stomach was annoying me so much I thought I was going to go crazy.”

“Do you want some?” Wonshik’s words were barely understandable – he never stopped chewing. Taekwoon shook his head, trying not to laugh at how the other looked with cheeks filled with food. He bit his lips, trying to stop his smile from spreading, dipping his head down to hide his head. With a cough and a deep breath he pulled himself together. He looked back up and Wonshik was staring at him, still chewing, cheeks so full they were almost bursting, and Taekwoon could not help but bark a laugh, startling the entire classroom. Wonshik included.

Taekwoon hid his face in his arms, shoulders shaking as he silenced his laugh but his body refused to stop laughing.

“What?” He heard Wonshik ask in confusion, finally having swallowed the food he had and being too distracted to refill his mouth. Taekwoon didn’t look up and just shook his head. He could feel the burn of classmates staring at his back. He didn’t move until Mr. Cha entered the classroom a couple of minutes later and started their next class.

Throughout the whole class he couldn’t help but think how ridiculously cute Wonshik had looked.

--

Their ever increasing interaction with each other had apparently become a source of worry among his former seatmates as they walked up to talk to him a couple of days later, Wonshik currently out of the room. He had been looking out the window, staring longingly at the soccer field and some class having gym there, when they all pulled up some chairs and circled his desk. He turned to look at them silently, waiting for them to speak up. He could see on their faces they were full of questions. Sanghyuk just about looked like he would burst - eyes full of curiosity. But Jaehwan was always first to speak.

“Sooo…” He started, dragging it out. “Are you guys friends now?”

Taekwoon shrugged. He supposed they were. They talked, joked and laughed together like friends, but had yet to meet outside the classroom or cafeteria to hang out. He didn’t even have his number, he suddenly realized.

“Isn’t he all angry and with you though, like everyone else?” Sanghyuk had finally cracked and blurted out. It sounded harsh, but it was clear he realized how it sounded after saying it.

“Not really.” Taekwoon answered frankly. Wonshik could be a little quick on the trigger at times if in a bad mood, but it was usually easily solved by feeding the boy. But he knew it was because Wonshik found him comfortable to be with. Other people - not so much. He hitched his breath several times before speaking, planning his words carefully. He looked them in the eyes one by one when he finally spoke.

“I think the fact that you’re all so scared of his every move is not helping. You’re all making him feel alienated from you guys. He hasn’t actually touched anyone in his class, had he? Must be pretty frustrating to be branded a bully, even before anyone tries to get to know him properly.”

After being at the school for a while, he had come to realize how people were treating Wonshik, despite him not actually hurting – or even interacting – with his classmates. The only people he fought with were older students who found his short temper oh-so-hilarous.

“There’s a reason for that.” Jaehwan had defended.

“Oh yeah? His reputation?” Taekwoon challenged, cocking his eyebrow at them.

“Well, yeah.” Jaehwan was a little more hesitant now, no longer looking straight at Taekwoon. The two others mimicked him, staring at their shoes.

“Which he got after fighting a bully on his first day of school. Someone who picked on him first, even.” He crossed his arms and leaned back in his seat.

Wonshik had told him that the reputation of him being a fighter had started on his first day transferred to the school, two years ago; an older bully had picked on him and Wonshik had fought back - and lost. After that day; bullies knew he would fight back despite not really having a chance, much to their amusement, and would pick on him whenever they were bored.

“…Yeah.” Jaehwan said then, getting the point. Taekwoon looked at all three of them one on one as they slowly reached realization. He nodded, satisfied.

There we go.

“Just treat him like a normal person and he’ll come around.” He said, and left them so he could find Wonshik, wherever he had gone to. He wanted his phone number.

--

He found him on the rooftop of the school, lying on the concrete flooring in the sun and listening to music on his phone with his eyes closed and a content expression. It was late spring, summer starting to make its stand with more and more hot days and nights. Taekwoon sat down beside him, startling him a little as his hand flew up to pull off his headphones and upper body springing up to a sitting position at lightning speed. He released a breath of relief when he saw it was only Taekwoon and lied back down, leaving the headphones around his neck.

“What are you listening to?” Taekwoon asked, resting his hands on his knees and looking at the blue sky. It was a little chilly, a cold breeze preventing the sun from keeping them warm. But it felt fresh to the face, the fresh air giving feeling of clearance.

“Kanye West.” Wonshik answered. Taekwoon looked at him in interest. “You like American hip-hop?”

“Yeah, you too?” Wonshik opened a single eye to squint at him, the sun blinding him slightly. Taekwoon nodded, smiling.

“Have you heard of Trey Songz?” Wonshik shook his head no.

“You should check him out, he’s pretty good.” He looked back at the sky, closing his own eyes, letting the sun warm him. Sighing. He felt calm.

“Okay” Wonshik answered, closing his eyes and sighing contently as well.