Chapter 2

Where there is anger, there is pain

Warning: Character death (non-vixx), mentions of death.

--

During lunch the next day, as Taekwoon sat alone at a table in the cafeteria waiting for the three boys standing in line to join him, that Wonshik sat down in front of him with his lunch tray, like it was the most natural thing to do. Taekwoon looked at him, puzzled, but didn’t say a word as he continued chewing his rice. Wonshik simply looked back at him, nodding a microscopic greeting before digging into his food. Around them people were staring and murmuring, and Taekwoon could see Jaehwan, Hongbin and Sanghyuk casting curious looks from where they were standing in line.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, the three classmates moving to sit at a different table where they could observe what was happening as they ate in silence. Taekwoon felt the attention from the room, and how it made his skin burn uncomfortably. He didn’t enjoy being the center of attention, but tried to act as if everything was normal. Eventually looking up, Wonshik leaned forward and pointed towards him with his chopsticks while sporting an incredibly attractive smirk.

“You know, you’re an interesting guy.”

Taekwoon cocked his eyebrow in question, but didn’t stop eating, waiting for him to elaborate.

“What you did yesterday requires some guts.” He stated, voice light and friendly, breaking eye contact to pick up a piece on kimchi from his tray and eat it. Taekwoon waited a little before answering, watching the other chew. Not sure if Wonshik had decided that he was likeable or if this was going to end up in some sort of feud, he took his time analyzing the other’s body language. He looked more than friendly, and downright relaxed sitting with him. He shrugged lightly. “I’m kind of stupid like that.” He looked back down at his food as he answered, contemplating if he wanted kimchi or radish. He heard Wonshik chuckle and the side of his mouth twitched involuntarily.

“What did the guy say to make you so angry?” Taekwoon tried after another silent pause, his curiosity winning him over. Somehow he was interested in this guy. Liking how it seemed simple and comfortable to be with him. Wonshik looked at him for a long while before answering, as if he was analyzing him. His eyes looked him over. Taekwoon felt sweat forming on his back at the attention.

Eventually a sigh escaped the other. Whatever it was; he had passed the test.

“He was badmouthing my dad.” He looked down at his food when answering. Taekwoon knew that feeling. “What an .” He said then, and Wonshik smiled fully at him for the first time, nodding in agreement. Taekwoon’s felt a kick in his chest.

“You should tell him that, instead of beating him up.” He smiled back with slight amusement. A friendly suggestion. Wonshik’s smile was replaced with a frown. “I’m not very good with words.” He muttered sadly and continued to eat the rest of his lunch in silence. Taekwoon understood him all too well.

--

In the days that followed it soon became a routine for Wonshik to sit with Taekwoon during lunch. They would occasionally sit in silence the whole time, but it was in no way uncomfortable. They simply enjoyed each other’s silence, and they could both sense it. They would also be left alone, nobody daring to come speak to them or comment on Wonshik’s first friend. Sitting with Wonshik felt like recharging his batteries for Taekwoon. He could relax, not feel guilty for not talking, enjoy his food and be rested to return to class. Never before had he met a person who made him feel like this.

When back in the classroom he would be reunited with his three friendly classmates. Jaehwan, Hongbin and Hyuk didn’t speak to him about sitting with Wonshik instead of them, but had become more careful towards him after that first day. He assumed it was out of caution, as Wonshik didn’t seem very popular at all among his classmates with his rather violent reputation. They didn’t stop to speak with him in the classroom, at least, which he was grateful for. Despite them being loud and hyperactive, making him tired from time to time, he enjoyed their shenanigans as a spectator.

“Why did that 12th grader badmouth Wonshik’s dad anyway?” He asked them one day, not long after the fight incident. Jaehwan was the one to answer him; “It’s actually not his dad you know, it’s his stepdad. He’s the only car mechanic in town. There’s a rumor going around that he’s down sick a lot these days, so he hasn’t been able to keep up with work. A lot of jobs either delayed or even rejected. It seems like a lot of people are inconvenienced by it.”

“Why do a bunch of high school students even care about something like this? We can’t own or drive cars!” Hyuk shot in, and to Taekwoon’s surprise he seemed very annoyed. He didn’t expect them to care.

“They’re just being idiots. You know how they are… they always pick on Wonshik because he’s easy to aggravate.” Hongbin mumbled, not looking at Taekwoon as he spoke. All of them didn’t look at him then, and he understood that this wasn’t something that they agreed with but also didn’t want to mixed into. But he wanted to know more.

“Has it always been like this?”

Jaehwan chewed his lip slightly with guilt showing. “Ever since he started attending this school last year, I think. He never managed to make any friends, really.”

Taekwoon frowned. “Must have been lonely.” He murmured and they all nodded slowly.

--

Taekwoon was left wondering what was the cause of Wonshik’s general anger towards the world, which seemed to be so apparent to everyone but him. With the exception of that one fight, Wonshik had been nothing but friendly and cheerful towards him, but he knew he was the only one receiving such treatment from the other. In class Wonshik would stay out of trouble, mostly sleeping at his desk or looking out of the window. He was even friendly with Mr. Cha, who seemed to have a soft spot for him – often walking up to speak to him after classes if he wasn’t able to escape first. Outside of class, however, he apparently got into fights very often. Taekwoon was never there to stop them after that first one he had witnessed, but rumors got around and sitting in front of Jaehwan, who seemed to be a major source of word-of-mouth, made him well-informed. Wonshik would also sport the occasional black-eye or even cuts in his face at times. Taekwoon was not the kind to worry about others, but Wonshik had his attention and he found himself being worried whenever he saw the other with a new mark on his face.

--

One day during the second month since he started going to the school, Wonshik didn’t show up for the first time since his arrival. Taekwoon couldn’t help but stare at the empty desk in the corner; his absence not making much difference during class, but definitely unsettling to Taekwoon when he sat alone at their table during lunch. Jaehwan, Hongbin and Hyuk offered to join him, but he mumbled an excuse and left the cafeteria without touching his food. He soon found himself in front of the door to the teacher’s office, knocking the door three times. A teacher he didn’t know answered.

“Yes?” He asked, blocking the door with his body.

“Can I speak with Mr. Cha?” He asked, trying to sound as polite as possible. The teacher gave him a slight acknowledging smile and stepped aside so he could enter. “Hakyeon, a student’s here to see you!” He called as he shut the door behind Taekwoon.

The teacher’s office was rather big, and it seemed all the teachers had their desks in the same room. Mr. Cha walked out of another room within the office, most likely their own lunch room. He smiled warmly at Taekwoon, as always, and motioned him towards his own desk as he sat down in his chair and grabbed hold of another for him. He had pictures of kids on his desk, but no woman (and he had no ring). He caught him staring at the pictures. “They’re my nephews. Cute, aren’t they?” Taekwoon nodded honestly. He actually really liked children.

“So what’s bothering you today, Taekwoon?” He asked, putting on a more serious face. Taekwoon had been wondering about that himself, as he had kind of walked there while spacing out. He did have something that bothered him, though.

“Do you know why Wonshik isn’t at school?”

A sigh escaped his lips at that and a sad look washed over the teacher’s face, pity clear in his eyes. “His stepfather passed away in the hospital last night.” He said softly and sighed, shoulders hanging. Taekwoon frowned, feeling a hot sting in his stomach. Is Wonshik okay?

“Are you two close? I’ve heard you eat lunch together every day.” Mr. Cha asked him, looking hopeful. He really did care about Wonshik, Taekwoon realized.

“Kind of…” he said, hesitant. The teacher brightened and pushed on with enthusiasm. “The funeral starts tonight. Do you want to go? I can give you permission to go during school tomorrow, I’m sure he would be happy if you did.” His hand found his knee and squeezed lightly with a warm hand. How is there a teacher this nice? He thought to himself as he studied the man’s kind and worried eyes. “Yeah, sure, I’ll go…” He murmured. Would he be happy? He kind of doubted it, really. What difference would he make?

“You see… Wonshik doesn’t have anyone else but his stepfather, so he must be feeling very lonely right now. If you go, I’m sure it’ll help him feel at least a little better, don’t you think?” It was like Mr. Cha had read his mind. “I’m going there tonight to make sure he eats and take care of himself, so don’t worry about him too much.” He smiled reassuringly, giving his knee another squeeze before letting go.

--

AN: Wonshik’s stepdad’s funeral is a traditional Korean funeral.

--

The next morning Taekwoon was standing in front of the funeral hall, dressed in a black suit he had not worn for many years. It was tight around his shoulders and the legs were too short, but he hadn’t wanted to ask his father to borrow his suit instead. He felt incredibly uncomfortable, and rather nervous. He needed several minutes to gather himself before stepping into the building.

There was no one else there to pay their respects this early in the morning, so he found Wonshik sitting alone beside the shrine put up with a picture of his stepfather and a whole lot of flowers wreaths. He looked so crushed; head hanging low, shoulders slouching. Taekwoon entered the room, paid his respect to the father, and sat down beside Wonshik in silence. Wonshik looked at him as he sat down, a faint smile barely visible on his lips.

“Teach said you would come.” He said, voice a little rough. Taekwoon hummed in answer. They shared a comfortable silence, like during their lunches, before Taekwoon decided to start a conversation.

“I heard he was your stepdad?” He started carefully. He wondered if the question was too personal, not sure if Wonshik felt they were that close yet. But Wonshik nodded. “Yeah, but he was a good guy. I never had a real dad before he came in and swooped my mom off her feet.” He smiled a little at the memory. Another short silence ensued, as Wonshik looked at the picture again.

“He used to ask me that, you know.” He said looking down at his fingers, voice a little shaky and rough. Taekwoon looked at him in question: “What?”

“What you said.” He mimicked what must have been his voice. “Why are you so angry, Wonshik?” or “What are you so angry at, Wonshik?”

Wonshik smiled at him weakly, eyes red and shiny.

“He used to tell me that the world is beautiful and full of life and opportunity. ‘You just have to reach out and grab it!’, ‘Nothing comes for free’… stuff like that.” He made gestures as me mimicked the words. Taekwoon smiled as he did.

“So, why are you?” He asked.

“Hm?” Wonshik looked at him in question.

“Angry.”

They looked each other in the eye for a few heartbeats, and he could see Wonshik’s eyes starting to water just before he casted his look back to his hands. He released a shaky breath and he rubbed his fingers absentmindedly.

“It’s just unfair, you know. Life. How I was born to be what I am.”

Taekwoon frowned at that. “What’s so wrong with being you?”

“My family’s all gone, I can’t study for , and I’m-“ He stopped himself before going any further. “Nevermind. It’s just a lot of crap dumped on one single person. What did I ever do to deserve it?” He looked up at Taekwoon at that last sentence. He looked miserable, like there was no hope for him. He was all alone now.

“I guess you’re right...” Taekwoon murmured, and put his hand on his knee to give it a squeeze, letting him know that he wasn’t entirely alone as long as he was there.

They sat together in silence for hours, watching various people that knew Wonshik’s stepfather paying their respects and offering small pep talks and promises of help to Wonshik.

“You don’t have to stay, Taekwoon. I’m okay, really.” Wonshik had told him after the day had turned dark.

“I’ll stay if it’s okay with you.” He answered simply. He wanted to stay. He wanted to support Wonshik. Most of all he wanted the other to feel better, but for now being there for him was the best he could do.

“Thanks.”