Tell Me Goodbye

Stay With Me, Because We Belong Together

It had been three weeks since the whole episode. To the Iron Triangle, it seemed to have blown over, while breaking the Iron Triangle. Hanna however, though she had recovered from all the initial shock she received, had other plans in mind. 

 

Hanna had arranged to meet both Chaerin and Jiyong separately, knowing that both of them would be unwilling to meet up yet. Hence, she told both Chaerin and Jiyong to meet her after school at the Iron Triangle's favourite café at 3. When she got there slightly earlier, she hid in a corner first and disguised herself in a way that neither Chaerin nor Jiyong could recognise her instantly. She then patiently lay in wait for both Chaerin and Jiyong to come. 

 

Jiyong was the first to arrive. Upon his arrival, Hanna dropped a quick text to Jiyong on cue to tell him she would be slightly late, even though she was already in the cafe. She then slipped out of the café to a corner that would overlook the entrance of the café. Hanna knew that if Chaerin came and saw Jiyong, she would definitely turn around and leave. But Hanna was going to take nothing of that today. None at all. 

 

Chaerin grudgingly walked to the café Hanna had asked to meet at. She knew that the café Hanna wanted to meet at held a lot of meaningful memories for all three of them. Chaerin had an ominous feeling, thinking that there's a high possibility Hanna wanted to talk about things to do with the Iron Triangle. For this, Chaerin wanted very much to not turn up at all. But she also knew that if she didn't turn up, things could take a turn for the worst instead  

 

Hanna saw Chaerin taking slow, long strides towards the café and felt relieved that Chaerin had turned up after all. With this sight, Hanna threw on the best smile she could concoct and headed towards Chaerin. "Hey Chaerin! Well aren't we soul mates, we even reach the café at the same time despite not arranging before hand! Let's go in and sit. I've already got a place," Hanna said as cheerfully as she could sound, slinging her hand over Chaerin's shoulders. While Chaerin was still trying to understand what Hanna had said, she had been dragged into the café and towards a table. Then it hit her. There was this figure at the table. This oh-so-familiar figure that she would recognise anywhere. Jiyong was sitting at the table.  

 

The moment Chaerin saw Jiyong, she attempted to turn her heels and head for the door when Hanna held her by her wrist and stopped her, switching from a cheerful front to one that was stern and serious, "Chaerin, sit down. We seriously need to talk and you know it."

 

Chaerin gulped when she heard Hanna. She had hoped Hanna would not find out just yet, but it seemed as though she already did. She knew there was no running away this time, and that she could only take a step at a time, not knowing what to expect over this cup of coffee that would taste so bitter today.

 

Jiyong on the other hand looked up from his smartphone when he heard footsteps coming towards him. He was all ready to greet Hanna with a chirpy mood, but he saw the person next to Hanna. Chaerin. The moment he saw her, he could only stare, trying to comprehend what was happening. He caught on to what Hanna had planned all along and resigned to his fate, although he did not seem ready to face Chaerin just yet.

 

The Iron Triangle sat down and ordered their usual drinks first. After ordering their drinks with the waiter, the three of them merely looked down at the table, looked into the distance, looking anywhere but at each other. The few minutes that passed till the waiter placed their orders on the table felt like eternity to all three of them as the awkward atmosphere was killing them. 

 

Hanna was the first to realise that keeping silent like that would not benefit any of them. Hence, she was the first to break the ice between the three. 

 

Hanna: *ahem* So. Guys. I'm quite sure you guys know why I asked to meet both of you here today without telling either the other would be here. 
Jiyong & Chaerin: ...
Hanna: Guys answer me. Look up and look at me, look at each other. I'm pretty sure we're all close friends and have a relationship with each other where it should be perfectly comfortable for us to look at each other in the eye. If there's a reason for that not to be valid, trash it out today. No one is leaving this place today until everything is trashed out. 

 

Jiyong and Chaerin both looked up and stared at Hanna's face for a while, not really knowing what to do. 

 

Jiyong: Okay. Let's trash out everything. Leave no more secrets around. 
Chaerin: ...
Hanna: Chaerin, do you have something to tell me?
Chaerin: No?
Hanna: Really nothing?
Chaerin: Nothing is going on. 
Hanna: I’m not taking ‘nothing is going on’ for an answer! It is so blatantly obvious that both of you had something. I want to hear it from you, from your mouth, using your voice. You tell me what on earth has been going on. I know something has happened and I know exactly what it is. I just need you to tell me on your own. 
Chaerin: Hanna-yah. 
Hanna: Chaerin please. I really just want to hear it from you. Believe me and trust me. Everything will be fine again as long as you speak up. 
Chaerin: I...I... I'm so sorry Hanna. I mean like. I. Well okay. I. I fell for Jiyong gradually when the Iron Triangle was formed. I thought those feelings would diminish over time but heck no, it didn't and more than that, it became stronger than ever the more we talked, and I couldn't control myself, my heart as much as I tried, I never intended on things going as far as having mutual feelings with Jiyong and even going to a relationship with him, and I knew that I couldn't bear to let you get hurt again so I realised everything was wrong and I decided to end everything once and for all to at least minimise the pain inflicted on you. Believe me Hanna I really thought this arrangement would be the best for everyone I'm really sorry. 

 

Chaerin was initially stuttering, but the moment she made up her mind to tell the truth to everything, words were spewing out of without stopping ever. She went on and on to tell the story, barely stopping to even breathe. When she finished her whole story, she found herself to be panting, but also starting to tremble. 

 

Hanna on the other hand was rather calm. Inside, she was actually relieved that Hanna chose to tell her the truth by herself with only a little of prompting from her. She was relieved that she did not have to confront Chaerin head on as that would not have been a pretty sight to see. She breathed a silent sigh of relief and got back to the issue at hand.

 

Hanna: Well then we got that out. I'm sorry I didn't tell you as well but I was waiting for you to tell me on your own. I believed you would so I waited. But since now everyone knows exactly what was and is going on, I believe it's time we decide on what's going to happen after this. 
Jiyong & Chaerin: ...
Hanna: Guys I hope it won't just be me talking. I really hope that it would be something all of us come to a consensus on, be it whether to continue what, end what, and all. So I'll just say it first. I don't want both of you to just break up like this. I know both of you still like each other as of now, and it's not fair to just end like that. I mean it's not fair to both of you, and I don't think it's very fair to me either. I mean, as much as you guys think you're protecting me, saying that you don't want a repeat of history, did you guys not already see that history has already repeated from the time both of you started falling for each other? Do you guys remember what I was most pissed off about? Do you?

 

Jiyong and Chaerin could only look at each other and shrug, knowing for sure what it was since they were there with her throughout but yet not wanting to say anything.

 

Hanna: Since both of you don't want to speak, let me answer that for you. It was Youngmin and Jungwoo not telling me earlier. Remember? So don't even speak about repeating history. If you truly did not want to repeat history, you guys should have told me from the start when you got together, and not let things become what it is today. 

 

Chaerin: I'm sorry Hanna, it's really not what I wanted to do but-
Jiyong: I get it now. I'm sorry. There are so many things I want to say, but nothing comes out and all I can say is I'm genuinely sorry about everything. 
Hanna: Okay I accept both of your apologies but that's not the most important thing now. What I want to know is what is going to happen to us after this. 
Chaerin: Nothing will change. I mean. Jiyong and I have broken up and that's that. Nothing will change anymore. 
Hanna: Chaerin-ah please don't be stubborn. I-
Chaerin: I'm not being stubborn. Do you actually think I can live with myself if I was still together with Jiyong? Really?
Jiyong: Hannie me too. I don't think it's possible for us to get back together anymore. 
Hanna: But guys- Okay I know I can't say anything about it but I have a feeling, and I'm most probably right, it's not because both of you don't like each other anymore. Both of you are just worried about me right. Look guys, what I really want is just for both of you to be happy. That's all. Really. I mean, when I suspected both of you like each other, I already knew that I would wish both of you the best. So whatever reason you guys are worried over is not valid at all. 
Jiyong & Chaerin: But-
Hanna: Guys there are no buts. I really want everything to be alright again. Is it really too much for me to ask for? Or at least both of you don't break your friendship at the very least for now?
Jiyong & Chaerin: ...
Hanna: Look guys, whatever both of you want to do, it's just running away from everything. It's an act of cowardice. If you guys aren't going to even try solve this together with me, I'm out. I really am. I'm giving up. 

 

Hanna began to get really exasperated with this entire situation. She simply did not see where a problem lied if she was the crux of their friendship and relationship making or breaking. Her anger just kept rising and rising the more Jiyong and Chaerin ran away that the moment she said she wanted to give up, she grabbed her bag and stormed out of the café without finishing her drink. 

 

Jiyong and Chaerin just looked at each other in disbelief, not comprehending what had just happened. Hanna was right on the fact that they both still liked each other. But is what Hanna say about them being cowards true? They still needed time to think over what was going on with their hearts and minds.