Her Presence

Abnormal

A/N: Just wanted to say that the official update days will be TUESDAYS


Then, he looked at her. 
 
He expected her to look like an extravagant , for some reason. With the voice she had, you would have expected it too. When he saw her, he was surprised.  She had long brown hair that waved across her shoulders and chocolate brown eyes. She was wearing a simple tee with simple jeans and converse. This girl was so normal. 
 
Sigh. 
 
He wanted to tell her to go away, but he just didn't have it in him to argue right now and he sensed that she's a stubborn one. So he just nodded and moved his bag to scoot closer to the window. She smiled and sat down comfortably. 
 
He felt awkward in this situation. He had never been this close to somebody except for the boys. With a single glance at her, he could tell that she wasn't fazed by this. 
 
"I've never seen you ride this bus before. What's your name?"
 
Okay, he couldn't be sure of it, but he could've sworn that the girl next to him spoke to him just now. 
 
He's certain that she's a norm; he can sense it. That was his abnormal power: heightened senses. But she's not shying away from him. That's just weird. He didn't know whether to answer her or not. 
 
"Umm..." He mumbled. He didn't know what to say. This was his first situation like this and he didn't know how to react. 
 
"Oh, you're the shy type? Huh, I didn't expect that..." She smiled. "I'm Ava. It's nice to meet-"
 
"Look," he said, finally deciding what he was going to say, "It's cool that you want to make new friends and all, but I don't. And I'd like to ride peacefully, please." And with that he turned to look out the window. 
 
He was ready to sense her shock, her disappointment. He was ready for her to feel offended by what he said to her. 
 
What he wasn't ready for was for her to giggle, lean back in her seat, and smirk. 
 
"Fine," she said, "have it your way." She wasn't even fazed. It was like she almost expected him to respond like that. After that, it was silent for the rest of the ride. He just stared out the window pretending to see the world around him, but instead he was listening to her breathing. It was soft and gentle, and surprisingly very comfortable to listen to. 
 
But he wouldn't admit it, even to himself. 
 
...
 
Finally, it was his stop and he was relieved. Ava stood up and stood to the side to let him through without saying a word, which he was thankful for. He quickly scuffled his way out of the bus and walked across the street where his school was. 
 
It wasn't until he made his way across the street that he recognized the presence walking behind him. Sighing he turned around to glare at the girl. The girl, confused, stopped in her tracks. 
 
"What?" Ava said. "I go here, too, genius."
 
He raised his eyebrows. "Since when do you go here?" He would've recognized her. 
 
Ava rolled her eyes and started walking again. "Since forever, thank you very much. You should at least know who your classmates are, V." And with that, she was gone. 
 
The boy, V, stood frozen on the sidewalk. He didn't tell her his name when they met on the bus. She really must go to his school. But he's never seen her before. This girl really is weird...
 
V made his way to his class; it was already third period. Shuffling into the class, looking like he didn't give a damn that he was late, he made his way to his seat beside his friend. When he sat down his friend glanced at him and smirked, "Late to school, are we?"
 
V rolled his eyes. "Jimin, you punk! Why didn't you wake me up?" He pulled out a journal from his backpack to pretend like he was doing stuff when in reality he hated this class more than anything in the world. 
 
Well, maybe not more than the SAI, but pretty darn close. 
 
Jimin laughed under his breath so the teacher wouldn't hear. "Jin was rushing us this morning and we kinda forgot about you..." Jimin was dying just thinking about it. 
 
V was flabbergasted, "We share a room!"
 
Jimin slapped him on the arm. "Hey, keep it down. The girl behind us is annoyed." And she was. Jimin could hear her ranting about them in her mind. Jimin is an Abnormal, too; he can read minds. 
 
V sighed and leaned back in his chair. "Whatever, man. Just know the struggle I had this morning was real." V continued to show Jimin his hectic morning and before he could stop himself from thinking about her, Ava popped into his mind. 
 
Jimin rose his eyebrow. "Who's the girl?"
 
"No one."
 
And with that, the rest of the class was spent in silence between the two friends- one trying to figure out the other's morning, and the other trying to figure out his own morning, too. 
 
.....
 
The bell rung, signaling the end of third period and the start of lunch hour. The two boys stood up to leave the room. 
 
"We should get our table quickly before someone steals it like last time," V says his first words after his awkward response from earlier. Jimin just nodded and, without talking, the boys headed to the cafeteria. 
 
When they reached their usual table, silently thanking the heavens that it hadn't been stolen, they placed their bags down and headed in line without waiting for the others. By the time they got into line, it was like their awkward conversation from last period never happened. They joked around, V still pretending he was mad about them leaving him behind. 
 
They went through the line quickly and made it back to their table where more of their friends were already seated, lunches laid out in front of them. The two boys sat down next to them, Jimin asking, "Where's Jungkookie?"
 
"He just got in line," one of the boys replied. He was wearing a cap and had multiple piercings on his ears. 
 
"I swear, that kid," another guy- long face and prominent cheekbones- responded, "he always gets here late."
 
"Hmm, I guess." V said. "Hey, Suga-hyung, can I have a piece of that?" V gestured to his friend's food. 
 
Suga, the boy with multiple piercings, gave him some of his food. When V tasted it, he moaned. "Ya, Jimin! We should've gone in that line!"
 
"Hey, you were the one who dragged me into that line!" Jimin said defensively. "I wonder what Jungkook is getting."
 
The boy in question arrived just at that time. He set his tray onto the table and sat down. "Hey, guys," he said. The four boys looked at Jungkook's tray. 
 
"That's all you're going to eat?" V said, surprised. There was hardly anything on his tray. 
 
Jungkook looked down at it and shrugged, "Yeah, I'm just not that hungry." He turned. "Do you have the juice, Hobi-hyung?"
 
The boy with the long face, J-hope, nodded. "Yeah, I do." He reached into his bag and grabbed a drink out of it to give to Jungkook. "But don't lie, Jungkook." He turned to the rest of the group, "Kookie's dieting 'cause he got back into dancing again." 
 
The boys looked at Jungkook, smiling and cheering. 
 
"For real?"
 
"Ya, good job, Jungkook!"
 
"Our little Jungkookie."
 
Jungkook shyly looked down at his food. "It's whatever. I'm just going back to the basics." 
 
The five of them began conversing throughout the lunch hour; they were great friends even though they weren't in the same grade. 
 
"Oh, yeah, and Namjoon couldn't find his phone!" J-hope said. Everyone at the table was thrown into a fit of laughter. V laughed along with them, until he felt a familiar presence. 
 
He quickly looked up and scanned the room until his eyes laid upon her form.
 
Ava sat at the other end of the cafeteria, alone. She was reading a book and munching on some carrots. V stared at her as her hair shielded her face. Suddenly, as if she felt someone watching her, Ava looked up. 
 
Their eyes met.
 
V stopped breathing, surprised at getting caught. Ava smirked at him, rose her hand, and waved subtly. V almost died of shock. 
 
"Ya! Jungkook!" Suga's exclaim pulled V out of his reverie. He turned to see three upset hyungs and one surprised, innocent-looking boy. 
 
"What?" Jungkook said. 
 
"What happened?" V asked. 
 
"Dammit, Jungkook," Suga said. "Can't you be responsible for once?"
 
Jungkook looked down, upset. "I'm sorry."
 
Suga stood up. "Whatever," he muttered and picked up his bag and left. The four of them sat in silence. 
 
V turned to Jimin and whispered, "What happened?"
 
"Jungkook moved the salt to him." Jimin responded. 
 
A normal would be confused by the statement: what was wrong about moving the salt? But V knew that Jungkook must not have moved it with his hand. 
 
He moved it with his mind. 
 
In public. 
 
No wonder why Suga was mad. 
 
J-hope sighed and stood up. "It's okay, Kookie. He's just upset; you know how he is about those things." He looked at Jimin and V. "I'll see you guys later." J-hope left the cafeteria after waving at them. 
 
Jungkook, looking like he was about to cry, laid his head on the table. V and Jimin looked at him worriedly.  
 
"What is he thinking?" V whispered to Jimin.
 
Jimin looked at Jungkook and said, "He's beating himself up about it of course. He's calling himself stupid."
 
V sighed. 
 
"Stop it." Jungkook mumbled. 
 
The bell rang and the three of them had to separate, but the two older boys did not want to leave the younger in his state. 
 
"C'mon, Jungkook, I'll walk you to class." Jimin said, patting Jungkook's back. He looked up at V and gave him the 'ok' symbol. V nodded back and headed to his class. 
 
Of course, the other classes were uneventful for him. Just teachers talking or handing out papers for students to work on. 
 
It was finally last period and V was ready to go home. He stepped into his classroom and there it was again. 
 
Her presence. 
 
Ava looked up from her backpack and saw him. She smirked at him as she sat up in her seat. 
 
Damn, that was annoying, but also kind of hot. 
 
Wait, what? V thought. Without looking at her, he made his way to the back where his designated seat was, the whole time feeling her unwavering gaze glued to his back. By the time he sat down, she was facing forward. 
 
How has he never noticed her before? She's literally been in front of him the whole time! That's how she knew his name. 
 
Throughout the period, V would sneak glances at her, grateful that he was sitting behind her and not the other way around. Halfway through the period, he realized that he tuned in on her soft breathing, like this morning, listening as if he were listening to the soothing waves of an ocean on a beach. 
 
And don't forget about her hair! She has basic brown hair, but the color suits her perfectly. The way her hair rolls across her shoulders, V was really surprised that he hadn't noticed her before. 
 
Does that mean that she noticed him? 
 
But that wouldn't make sense because norms didn't notice Abnormals: that's what always made Abnormals risky to them. Yet, she sat next to him on the bus that morning when she could have sat anywhere else. 
 
V stared at his desktop wondering, and then, suddenly, he wasn't in the classroom anymore. 
 
He saw Ava in front of him, smiling. They were both laughing. They were holding hands, walking along a sidewalk as the heat bared down on them. The scene changed and they were at a park at night. They both sat on swings holding hands. He looked down at her and leaned in. 
 
He blinked. 
 
V was back at his classroom. His heart was beating fast, but that happened every time he had a vision. 
 
He's an abnormal with heightened senses. With heightened senses came a sixth sense: premonitions. They occur at random times; it's nothing that he can control. He's just glad that to him it could take up to an hour to see a full vision when in reality it doesn't take longer than a blink to happen. No one notices a thing. 
 
Before he could comprehend what he just saw, the bell rang for the last time that day and everyone but him stood up. He held his breath as he saw Ava pack up her things and walk away. He didn't move until she was out the door. 
 
V took his time gathering his things, thinking to himself. 
 
What was that? That can't be true; she's a norm! She's a normal human being and he wasn't. He isn't. And he will never be. He couldn't have a relationship with someone normal. It doesn't work. 
 
Whatever, he was done with today and just wanted to go home and meet up with his friends. 
 
His brothers. 
 
V finally stood up and walked to the door. Before his abnormal senses could kick in, he ran straight into Ava. She stumbled a bit and he clutched her arm to keep her from falling, and she did the same to him. They looked at each other until V let go of her and coughed awkwardly. 
 
"Sorry," he muttered. 
 
She smiled at him. "Shouldn't there be a first date before touching is involved?"
 
Is she flirting?
 
He's seen it before in books and movies, but had never experienced it firsthand. And for a moment- just a moment- he thought about his vision and about what could become. He thought about experiencing a love so deep there would be no escape. He thought about flirting back and starting a domino effect towards a better life. 
 
But this was no fanfic. And the future could always change. 
 
"Whatever," V said coldly. 
 
It was his turn to walk away. 

Okay, so if I did bad at explaining it: V= heightened senses+visions, Jimin= telepathy, and Jungkook= telekinesis. Everyone else's abilities will be revealed in the next chapter :D
 
Any questions? Let me know what you guys think!
 
-TerryBerry <3