09

The Star That Made Her Smile.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

20160224

          Soo Yeong sat up with tears in her eyes, and beads of sweat trickling down from her hairline, making their way from her forehead to the side of her face where some would give up and drop down, and others would continue their path down .  Her heart was beating erratically against her skin. Looking around she noticed the new surroundings, not like her more neutral room.

           Still in thought, she didn’t notice when the door opened and when Luhan stepped in, but she flinched when he shut the door with his foot. “Oh, you’re up, how are you feeling?”

           Her eyes felt puffy, and her face wet, with a mixture of tears and sweat. He came near her, and in that moment, she felt more tears pour out, alarming him. He quickly set the tray of what seemed like soup down, and picked up a damp towel, running over to her to question her and wipe her face.

           “Did I do something wrong, why are you crying?” He couldn’t stop worrying about the girl that was breaking down in front of her. Not being able to say anything, Soo Yeong just nodded a ‘No’ and found her hands the front of his tee.

           Luhan stopped wiping her face after he was satisfied with his work, and set the towel down, and on a whim of his own nerves, pulled her body close to embrace her. He felt like he was about to cry too, reason unknown. She rested her head on his shoulder, and he could feel it getting wet.

           Standing there for what felt like too little, because truth be told, Luhan liked standing there, comforting the one who he couldn’t after so many years. The silence was comfortable, heavy but comfortable. They stood there, her small sniffles from time to time, and his hand constantly rubbing soothing circles on her back.

           “Years ago, I….” Soo Yeong had effectively broken the silence, but now she was the one that left the question mark in the air when she paused, “my family, we, were in an accident.”

           Luhan already knew this much, but coming from the victims mouth itself, was depressing, enough to make the manly Luhan gather beads of tears in his eyes.

           She shifted on the bed; enough so he could sit down too, arms still wrapped around her. She had her gaze looking down, and decided to continue.

           “I don’t know how it happened or why. I don’t remember anything, because of the accident. My mental state took a big blow, and the doctor said that when someone doesn’t want to remember something that was extremely painful, their mind resorts to shoving the memory far back possible. But there’s always a trigger, and in the 4 years of my after the accident I still haven’t found the trigger.”

           There was a wet feeling on Luhan's arm, and it didn’t take rocket science for him to figure out that she was crying. He ran his hand up along her sides in a soothing way, urging her to go on and let it out.

           “I don’t remember anything from before the accident, or the accident itself. I was the only one that came out alive, and I don’t remember the faces of my parents, or my brothers, and I lost them. I don’t remember their smiles, and it pains me. To know that I am walking around, healthy, while they lay in their graves, forgotten by their own daughter. The name they gave me, I can’t stand being called by that name because it just reminds of how unworthy I am of being their daughter, a daughter.”

           Luhan knew she was letting go off all those vent up feelings she never opened up to anyone about. This was common between her and Soo Yeong. They both didn’t want people to unnecessarily worry about them and stress for them. But this is where he thought he should intervene.

           “Hey, look at me,” he used his index finger to turn her chin to face him, “You know that’s not true. You’re just as good a daughter as anyone else. You’re an even better human being for being able to go through what you did. Yes, it’s painful, but the fact that you are going for their sake, and to figure everything out for them says a lot, more than enough even.”

           Stealing her gaze once again, she continued, “I was left alone, with no one, and no memory. That is until, my uncle came along, and since I had no one, he adopted me. It’s amazing to have another chance at life, but I can’t help but blame myself because his wife, my aunt doesn’t live with him anymore. They love each other, heck, they even have a son, and they aren’t divorced, but they separated when he adopted me.”

           Leaning her head on Luhan's shoulder, she felt herself moulding into his side as he held onto her. They stayed there, like that, until curiosity got the better of Luhan.

           If she isn’t called by her real, birth name, then If she isn’t called by her real, birth name, then…what is her real name?

           “If Jang Mi isn’t your real name…Then what is?”

           Soo Yeong’s eyes softened, but in a matter of seconds, they were glinting fury. She was furious she forgot her old self, her own family, her past, her history.

“The name my parents gave me was, still is, Park Soo Yeong.”

 

           “I hope Jang Mi is feeling better now,” the guys were all sitting downstairs, enjoying their dinner, random topics being thrown around, when Kyungsoo spoke up, to no one in particular.

           Sehun still hadn’t come back from his room, and Luhan had only come out to get soup for the lady. It had been hours, and they were starting to get worried about the youngest, who had gone without food for quite a long time.

           Kai was ecstatic to finish up his dinner so he could take a look at Sehun. He shovelled the last of his dinner into his cheeks and yelled an ‘I'm done!’ with a mouthful of food. He sauntered over to the sink area with his plates and dumped them in, grabbing new ones and filling them up.

           “Where’s the food going?” turning back to the table he saw Xiumin with his eyebrows raised and a knowing smirk.

           This Baozi! “It’s for Sehun, he didn’t come out for a long time,” Kai explained, and made his way over to his and Sehun’s shared room.  

           Opening the door he saw Sehun sitting with his back against the wall, eyes closed. Walking closer, he noticed that Sehun’s eyes were puffy and his cheeks had dried up tears coating his pale cheeks, a contrast to his own sun kissed cheeks.

           He set the food down on the table and crawled onto the bed, next to where Sehun was. Almost on reflex, Sehun slid his head onto his shoulder, guessing who it without trying.

           Only one person would come forward in situations like these where he would get mad, as they were truly rare. Last time it happened, it was because Baekhyun had stepped on his Pinku-Pinku.

           Kai grabbed Sehun by the shoulders and slowly slid him down, so he was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter