Chapter 3

Back to Tomorrow

Hey all! I finally finished this chapter. to be honest, I am just uploading my rough, not to so rough, drafts. If i took the time to make them the way I want, then you'll never get an update. lol. This chapter clearly went past the limit I wanted. About 11 pages single spaced. But anyways, I hope you all enjoy this long chapter for my absence.


 CHAPTER 3

FALL

 

Junsu cracked his eyes opened. He stared up for a few seconds before realizing that he was staring at a ceiling and not the sky. His body felt weak and moved his head to stare around at his surroundings with great difficulty. Was he back home?

Instead of seeing the painted walls of his room, or even a hospital room, Junsu could just make out the bareness of the room by a small candle lighting up the area. There was just a small table and a shelf with clothes. Guess not, Junsu decided sadly turning back to stare at the ceiling.

Junsu could hear rain outside so he figured there was a window around. But he was too weak to check. Knowing that it was raining outside, made Junsu shiver against the blanket. Noticing that the cloth was scratching his arms, Junsu peered down and noticed that he was only wearing his t-shirt.

With great difficulty, he pulled himself up to a sitting position taking in more of his surroundings. Sitting upright didn't show anything new except he saw his cardigan on the ground a few feet away. He leaned out, grabbing the ends, pulling it towards him. He reached in the pockets, searching for the bottle of ibuprofen. He gave a weak smile as he found it, still filled.

Grimacing, as he had to dry swallow the pills, Junsu laid back down. He felt as if he had a fever but he would get better in no time with his medicine. He yawned, closing his eyes. Junsu had no worries about falling asleep. He was being taken care of. No one who wasn't kind wouldn't let him rest in their home, he thought cuddling the blanket closer to himself.

 

He awoke some time later, refreshed but weak. Junsu turned his head to see if anyone had came to check up on him and saw a young girl sitting in the middle of the room eating.

She didn't seem to notice him so Junsu took the chance to observe her. Her hair was long and tied in the same fashion the women of Joeseon had. However he clothes were made out of the simplest fabrics. The light from the candle didn't allow him to see anything more clearly, but her skin was tan. She possibly spent a lot of time outside.

She looked in his direction feeling eyes on her. She jumped up, not sure what to do now that he awoke. She gazed at him with apprehensive eyes, ready to run if he tried anything.

“Thank you.” Junsu said after a long silence. She didn't seem to trust him although she was the one who saved him. “Where are we?”

“Hanseong.” She finally uttered. “We're at the edge of Hanseong.”

“How did I get here?” Junsu's eyes widened. He wanted to get up and see for himself, but his body was too weak and it was night out. There was nothing to see even if he wished to. “I was almost to Suwon.”

“You passed out in the river.” She stared at him. “I was passing through at the time and I, with some others put you in the back of our wagon.”

“So you brought me all the way to Hanseong?” Junsu couldn't believe it. He managed to get to Seoul. Luck was on his side to bring him quickly, even if he had to be sick in order to get here.

“You wouldn't let go of us.” She looked at him curiously. “You'd grab one of us once in a while and wouldn't let go when we thought you died.”

Did he? Junsu didn't remember anything. It seemed that he has been missing a lot of his memory. At least now he knew what happened this time. “Sorry.”

“I'm surprised that you are still alive. Everyone were making bets on how long before you died.” She gave him a small smile.

“What?” That was morbid. Did People in history had nothing better to do other than place bets on when one was to die? Junsu frowned.

“They all lost anyways.” She bent down to pick up a bowl. She scooted closer to him. “You should eat now that you are awake.”

“Thank you.” Junsu smiled at her. He saw her look down, cheeks pink. He sat up, despite his aching body, accepting the bowl.

She then moved back behind the table, keeping a safe distance. She didn't think that he was a threat, but it was never too safe to be sorry. “Where were you headed?” She asked.

“I was going to stay the night at Suwon and then make my way to Hanseong.” He ate the rice, savoring each bite. It was even better than the soup he had a few days ago.

“Oh. So you live here?”

“Kind of. I am just looking for someone.”

“Who? We might know who you are looking for.”

“Ah, I am not sure what their name is.” Junsu shrugged. He didn't even know who he was looking for.

“That's a shame. But we know most people. Or at least my master does. He owns one of the most popular kisaeng house here. As well as in other places.”

“Is that where I am?” Junsu blanched. What were the odds that he was stuck in a kisaeng house. “Who runs the kisaeng house?”

“Not exactly.” She pulled at her braid. “We are master Heeyoung's slaves. So we are in servant housing near his and the kisaeng house.”

Junsu sighed, relieved. Although he felt bad that she was a servant, she looked too young to be entertaining old men or even having with them.

“I'm Kim Junsu.” Junsu gave the bowl back to the girl after he finished eating. “I am in your debt for your kindness.” He gave her a half bow. The rest of him was still sore to do a proper bow.

“My name is Areum.” She bowed back.

“Is it okay if I stay here until morning?” Junsu asked. He felt like he would be better by the morning. Also it was too dark outside. There was no point in walking in complete darkness.

“Yes. Just try not to be seen. You and I can get into serious trouble.”

“Understood, I will attempt to get out as quickly and quietly as possible.” Junsu leaned back on the pillows, his eyes heavy. “In the early morning.”

“Have a nice rest.” Areum stood up with the bowls, going to the door. “I will wake you and tell you when the coast is clear.”

“Thank you.” Junsu yawned. “Have a nice night.”

 

 

By the next morning, Junsu woke up in one of the most comfortable ways in the past week. It was a gentle shake by Areum. Considerably better than being mugged or trying to be eaten by birds.

“Good morning.” Junsu began to stretch. Everything felt almost normal. He still felt a bit weak and his feet ached. For once, he actually liked being awake.

“I brought you some food. You can eat first before you leave.” Areum gave him a plate full of rice.

“Thank you. I'll make sure to repay you one day.” Junsu gave her a grateful grin.

Areum looked away, playing with her braid. “I have to get started with my duties now. When you leave, try to stay near the edges of the path. Heeyoung keeps the place guarded but you should be able to get out. Goodbye.” She gave him a bow, leaving the small room.

Junsu stood up, bowing before sitting back down. His legs felt like jelly from laying down for too long. He ate the rice, thinking of what his next move was. He had to find a shaman or some type of fortune teller. Something supernatural. He felt ridiculous thinking about it but there was nothing that came to mind that made any sense. Junsu just had to find his way back. He turned to look out the tiny window, seeing the early light come through.

But where would he start? He didn't want to bother Areum any more than he needed to. But he would stick out with the clothes and hair he had now. He ran his hair through his dark hair. At least his hair wasn't dyed a unnatural color. He would get killed if he showed up with bright blue hair.

Maybe he could find someone willing to give him some clothes, if not at least a hat. Junsu set the dish on the table. It would be better if he left now so he could start searching for everything he needed. Hopefully he could find someone who could send him magically home. That way he wouldn't have to worry about finding a place to sleep or eating. He could just go back to his apartment and sleep and order in.

Junsu smiled thinking about returning home. Everything here was terrible in his opinion. He knew he smelt bad, and the air was hot, he missed food already made for him, indoor pluming (but he refused to acknowledge what happened in the woods), and just overall, knowing that there was no electricity made his skin crawl. Getting out of the past was the first thing Junsu wanted to do.

Junsu got up going to the door. He slid it open peeking out before getting out the rest of the way. He blinked a few times adjusting to the bright light. He paused when he realized that Areum never gave him actual directions on how to leave the compound. He grimaced, deciding whether to return back to the room or try to get out on his own.

However, he didn't get a chance to decide before he heard someone shouting at him. “What are you doing here?” Junsu didn't turn to the voice, choosing instead to run in the opposite direction. He didn't get very far before strong arms grabbed him, pushing him roughly against the nearest wall.

Junsu hissed as his arms were twisted back, and the rough wood scratched his cheeks. Great, this is just what he needed, to be captured, Junsu thought angrily.

“Who are you?” A deep voice asked him.

Junsu struggled to break free, but it was no use. Whoever was holding onto him was stronger than he was.

“What were you doing in Areum's room?” The male continued to question him. He tightened his hold on Junsu as he asked again.

Junsu remained silent. His face was pressed against the wall and he couldn't move his head to see who grabbed him. But, it was clear now who these people are. They were the guards that Areum told him about. He should have just stayed inside. He sighed internally.

“It doesn't look like he's going to say anything.” The man holding him said. “Lets just bring him to Heeyoung.”

“Fine.” The other voice agreed. “I'll go get Areum.”

. Junsu thought. He was going to get her in trouble. He bit his lip, fighting off the urge to scream as he was pulled down the path. He could feel his face burn red as he passed by other people. They would glance at him before turning away from him, not wanting to further his embarrassment. He would too if he saw someone being dragged the way he was. It was undignified.

There was nothing Junsu could do except to see what was going to happen. His legs felt weak as he got closer to the doors of one of the buildings. What was going to happen to him?

His heart began to beat fast as he was dragged to one of the rooms. He was thrown carelessly in, the door shutting behind him. Junsu stood up, preparing to run out but he could see the shadow of the a man guarding the door. A woman's voice was heard and he heard him order her to fetch Heeyoung.

With his escape route blocked, Junsu turned to examine the rest of the room. It was bigger than Areum's room, as well as more decorated and bright. He must be in the kisaeng house, Junsu thought. He ran his hands through his hair, not knowing what else to do. He was helpless. If he somehow managed to get out, there was no way to go.

The door opened and the man who clearly towered over him reached and grabbed his arm, taking him to a different room.

Junsu kept his head down, not wanting to make eye contact with the kisaeng who were whispering as he passed. They were all beautiful and he didn't want to look like a fool in front of them.

He heard another door open and he was pushed inside. This time, it was an even bigger room and there was already someone in the room. Junsu glanced up to see who it was and almost chocked on his spit. It was clearly a man, but he wore woman’s clothing. Junsu stared at the face, feeling some sort of familiarity, but he didn't get to dwell on it when the door behind him shut, knocking him back to reality. The man in front of him would decide his fate.

The guard pushed him on the ground, to a kneeling position. And he too kneeled down, bowing at the man before straightening up.

“What has happened?” The man sitting behind a table asked as he eyed Junsu distastefully. He turned to the other man, raising his thin eyebrow.

“Youngnam and I found this man,” he mentioned with his head at Junsu, “leaving Areum's room this morning. He tried to run but we got him and brought him to you, master Heeyoung, to decide what to do with him.”

“My my, Areum has been a bad girl.” The man hummed. He looked at Junsu, eying him before speaking. “What did you do with my servant?”

“Nothing.” Junsu said. “I was sick and she let me stay in her room until I got better. That's all.”

“Come on now.” The beautiful man let out a hard laugh. “Do you think I am stupid? I know what you did. You are a man aren't you?”

“She's still a young girl!” Junsu shouted when he got the implication. “I would never do something like that. I am telling you the truth. I was sick and she let me stay with her until I got better. I don't even know how long I was sick.”

Heeyoung huffed, rolling his eyes. “That won't stop men. Why should I believe you. You were seen walking out of her room this morning. What other reason would you have to leave in the morning if you didn't sleep with her?”

“I'm telling the truth. I was sick. Even if I wasn't sick, I would never touch a girl. That's disgusting.” Junsu was getting angry. How dare this man accuse him of being a ert!

“I don't believe you.” Heeyoung stated. He let out a sigh, turning to the man next to Junsu. “Is someone getting me Areum?”

“Yes, Youngnam is going getting her.”

“Then we'll see what she has to say about it.” Heeyoung nodded. He ran his long fingers down his face, looking at Junsu. “What is your name?”

“Kim Junsu.” Junsu replied.

“mmmhmmm” Heeyoung nodded to himself. “Where do you come from?”

“I don't know.”

“You don't know?” Heeyoung scoffed. “You tell me your name but not where you are from? What are you trying to play at? Quit lying to me or I'll just throw you in jail.”

Junsu's eyes widened at the threat. But really, like the man would believe him if he spoke the truth.

The door behind him opened and Areum, covered in dirt, entered. Behind her, a smaller man closed the door. Both of them bowed at Heeyoung before taking a spot on either side of the men already seated.

Junsu made eye contact with Areum, giving her an apologetic smile, mouthing “I'm sorry” to her. She looked away from him, staring at the ground. Junsu hated himself. He didn't want to get the poor girl in trouble.

“Areum, what happened? Why was this man coming out of your room?” Heeyoung questioned. “Do not lie to me.”

“He was sick.” Areum said softly. “I let him stay in my room until he either died or got better.”

“Did he tell you to say this?”

“No, master.” Areum shook her head. “He wasn't awake for two days.”

“I still don't believe you. Why would you bring a man into your room? Where did you find him? Why was this not reported to me? Was there anyone else that will tell me the same thing as you? If not, I will have no choice but to punish you and throw this man in jail. Unless of course he can bring me the money to pay off for defiling you.”

“I didn't do anything to her! I'm not a !” Junsu stood up, but a hand grabbed him, pulling him down. His knee hit the ground hard, sending vibrations all throughout his leg. He gasped, grabbing his knee.

A female voice from outside spoke. “Master Heeyoung, Minki is here. He says that he was with Areum when they found the man.”

“Let him in then.” Heeyoung ordered.

A young man stumbled in. He looked younger than Junsu by a few years. He had a baby face that was barely starting to developed into a more muscular face. He bowed to Heeyoung settling down next to Youngnam.

“What do you wish to say?” Heeyoung asked.

“I was with Areum when we found him.” Minki said quickly, looking down. “We were fetching water and he collapsed near us. So Areum and I got him and planned on leaving him at the clinic but we didn't know where it was so we just took him with us.” He took a breath. “ There was no more room in our rooms so we put him in Areum's room and she went to sleep with Sooyun and Dohee.” He gulped looking straight at Heeyoung. “Please don't punish her.”

Heeyoung leaned back, looking at all the people before him. Junsu stared at him as he thoughtfully tapped his chin. “Well someone needs to be punished.” He finally said. “You harbored a stranger on my property and you had no idea what he would've done to my things.”

“I'm not a criminal.” Junsu spat out quickly.

Heeyoung ignored him. “So what punishment should it be?” He paused, looking at Areum. “You need to go to the doctor to see if you really are still a . After that, I will decide how to punish you and Minki for disobeying my rules.”

Junsu eyes widened. “I didn't touch her I swear! Give me her punishment and I will gladly serve it.” If it was anything like he read, then the punishment out here wouldn't be pleasant. He'd rather take her punishment. After all, it was his fault they were in this situation.

Heeyoung turned to him, expression amused. “I was planning on throwing you in jail. But I won't punish them if you become my servant.”

Junsu paused. Go to jail or become a servant. From what he remembered from history, being in jail was no fun, but being a servant was no walk in the park either. However out of the two choices he had he would have a better chance of returning home if he wasn't locked up. He can also pay back his debt to Areum, and Minki now. “Fine. But you can't punish them.” He glared at Heeyoung to get his message across. Like he was just going to bow down to the man. He didn't have the same mentality as the rest of his servants. Hopefully he won't get in any more trouble.

Heeyoung gave him a sly grin, nodding. “Agreed.” He pulled out a parchment, and reached over to grab a brush, dipping it in ink. “Now what was your name again? I need to add it to my list so you can be officially my servant.”

“Kim Junsu.”

He wrote down the name, then laid the parchment on the ground next to him to dry. “Since he's now going to be my servant, Minki, why don't you show him around and what is expected of him.” He ordered giving Minki a sweet smile. “And get him a change of clothes and a bath before you start. I'll excuse your work today but bring him to me so I can see how he looks like under all that dirt.”

Minki nodded sending Junsu a glance before looking down again. “Thank you for your kindness master.” Minki bowed before straightening up.

Heeyoung looked at Junsu, eyebrow raised. Junsu stared back, unsure on what he was waiting for. Beside him, Youngnam pushed him down, almost slamming his head on the ground. “He's your master now so pay your respects.”

Junsu blanched. What? He stared at the ground for a few seconds before speaking. “Thank you for your kindness master.” He said begrudgingly. Is this what his life was going to be now? He closed his eyes, clenching his teeth in annoyance. Perhaps being in jail was a better option.

He stood up following Minki to the door.

“Minah, I want you to take Areum to the doctor and have her examined.” He called out. The door slid open and a kisaeng walked in. She bowed to Heeyoung, beckoning Areum to come with her.

“Thank you for your kindness master. I apologize for my mistakes.” Areum bowed before leaving the room with the kisaeng.

“I'll be waiting here for you to return with Junsu, Minki.” Heeyoung shooed them off.

 

 

Junsu quietly followed Minki. He eyed everything with amazement. The kisaeng that he passed avoided his eyes. That was a first for Junsu. All over Asia, he had women, and even men, throw themselves at him. To see the exact opposite happening left him feeling rejected. He sighed ignoring them, it wasn't like he was here to see them anyways.

They stopped at a room where Minki slid the door open, pulling out articles of clothing. He looked at Junsu's feet trying to figure out what he was wearing. It looked odd but he didn't say anything. Junsu didn't notice, he was more than glad to get clean clothes. The ones he wore now were getting crusty at the edges.

Minki looked at Junsu, glancing at his hair, before sliding the door shut. “Let's go to the bath.” He muttered softly.

Junsu nodded. They walked in silence for a few minutes across the compound before Junsu decided that it was too awkward to be walking in silence. It had been forever since he got to talk to anyone.

“Thank you for helping me.” Junsu told him.

“It was nothing. Areum wanted to help you. You should be thanking her.” Minki shook his head.

“Well you helped. I owe you my life.” Junsu gave him a smile. “I'm Kim Junsu.”

“Minki.”

“It's nice to meet you.”

“Mmmm.” Minki nodded.

“How long have you been here?”

“Since I was born.”

“Ah.” Junsu paused. This kid was too shy and blunt. “Is Heeyoung a good boss?”

“Master.” Minki corrected him. “Yes, he treats us better than other masters.”

Junsu wanted to ask why the apparent head of the business was a man but knew that Minki wasn't about to go around and tell him everything. Minki seemed to be very loyal to Heeyoung.

“We have to go through the forest a bit to get to the creek.”

“Okay.” Junsu wrinkled his nose in distaste. He sighed shaking his head. He shouldn't be complaining. He's going to get the chance to clean up. “What are some of the things that I will have to do?”

“Whatever Master wants.” Minki shrugged, leading him down a worn trail. “But I think that you will have to do the same things that I do.”

“Which is?”

“Preparing for any activities Master wishes, cleaning, cooking, and occasionally going on trips with him as bodyguards, but he already has men for that.” Minki stopped. “I'll wait here. You can wash up.” He gave him a stern look. “But don't try to run away. We are in Master's property now and he will punish you if you try to escape.” He warned as he gave him his clothes.

“I won't. I promise.” Junsu nodded. Like there was any place for him to go. He walked forward, eyes brightening at the sight of the water. He took off his shoes and socks, setting them aside before stripping off all the way.

He hissed as the cold water hit his legs when he stepped in but soon relaxed. It was glorious to be able to wipe off all the grime and oil that he accumulated on his journey. He wished he had soap, shampoo, conditioner, or even body wash, something other than a rag. He scrubbed himself, until he felt satisfied. Junsu picked up his old clothes, emptying them before dunking them in the water in an attempt to clean them.

Afterward, he picked up the articles of clothing that Minki gave him. It was simple white clothes and he pursed his lips. Nothing like the style that he liked. He turned back to the water, trying to see his reflection. Not being able to make it out, he shrugged, putting on the clothes. They felt much better on him even if they were a bit big. Much better than the heavy clothing he wore before. The shoes were much trickier to put on. Junsu struggled for a while trying to put on the socks and sandals that he was given. They were made up of straw and felt extremely ill-fitting. Giving up, he kept the socks on and put on his old shoes. They were a tight fit but it was better than nothing. He took his old damp clothes in his arms, and went to join Minki in the shade of the trees.

Minki looked taken aback at his new appearance. Junsu inwardly smirked. He knew he looked good. Even more now since he wasn't covered in dirt.

“Let's go back.” Minki turned away, walking back to the compound quickly.

 

 

Junsu felt more confident walking around. Instead of the Kisaengs turning away from his shame, they turned away when they saw how handsome he looked. Or that's what Junsu liked to think. Of course now he wore servant clothing lowering his status. This was something that Junsu disliked greatly. He was one of the richest, and most famous idols but here he was, about to become a servant for a Kisaeng house. He shook his head sadly walking behind Minki back to Heeyoung.

Inside the room was two other Kisaeng pulling out clothes from a chest, giggling to themselves. Heeyoung was looking in a mirror, although Junsu couldn't see his face, he knew who it was behind the mirror.

Not knowing what to do, Junsu watched Minki bow in front of Heeyoung. Junsu followed his actions, standing next to him. The two kisaeng stole glances at them, trying not to look obvious as they studied the stranger.

Junsu glanced at Minki as he just waited patiently for Heeyoung to acknowledge them. Junsu wasn't sure if he was going to like his “master.” It reminded him of SM, being ignored by his management. He tried not to let his scowl show on his face as he waited impatiently. He fought the urge to throw his damp clothes at the man to get his attention.

His scowl disappeared and he was left dumfounded when Heeyoung finally looked at them. If Junsu didn't know any better, he would have assumed that Heeyoung was a woman. The make up he wore made his features softer and more feminine. The other women in the room did not even compare to him. It made sense now why he was respected all around. He was beautiful.

“If you keep staring like that, I'll have to charge you.” Heeyoung smirked.

Junsu's scowl reappeared. And he was back to being annoying. He didn't say anything, after all, he knew he could get hit by him, or worse.

“But you're not bad yourself.” Heeyoung eyed him with greater interest than before. “Too bad your hair is too short to be anything else other than servant. Perhaps after you grow it out you'll be able to move up.” He lifted his hand, motioning it in a circle. “Turn around. I want to see if you will be able to do the work.”

Junsu begrudgingly obliged, not feeling comfortable under Heeyoung's eyes. The man looked at him in an almost hungry like fashion. He was used to that but it was from a stranger with more control over him that he would like.

“Do you think I should get him a wig? Or wait for his hair to grow out?” Heeyoung turned to the women.

“He's just a servant so why don't you just not have him seen until then. I don't think we should waste a wig on a servant.” One of the women said.

“Why is his hair so short anyways?” The other women asked.

“I don't really care.” Heeyoung brushed off her question. “Unless he was being chased after someone?”

“No. I was just lost.” Junsu replied honestly. He hoped they wouldn't ask too many questions. He was bad at history.

“That's good enough for me.” Heeyoung smiled. “I accept you as my servant so later tonight, after you get to know your way around and your duties, I will brand you.”

What? Brand? Junsu froze. As in sticking a piece of hot iron on his body? No. NO. no. no. noo. He wasn't going to let anyone put anything on his body. He was so caught up in the realization of being branded, that he didn't notice Heeyoung dismissing him or Minki pushing him to bow or even walking outside until a cold breeze hit him.

“What does he mean by branding?” Junsu asked worriedly. He was starting to feel sick. He slowly followed Minki down the steps, going back to the servant housing.

“It doesn't hurt as bad as you think.” Minki noticed the panic on Junsu's face. “It's over before you begin to feel it. And the pain goes away soon.”

“Where were you branded?”

“On my arm.” Minki pulled up his sleeve to reveal the bottom of a tattoo.

Seeing the ugly mark on him made Junsu feel worse. “I think I need to lay down.” He muttered to himself.

“I'll show you to your room then. But we can't rest long, I still have to show you everything.” Minki said kindly. New slaves were always wary of the branding. It hurt a lot and Minki lied in hopes to spare him from any unnecessary anxiety.

 

 

“So how many slaves does Heeyoung, I mean, Master own?” Junsu asked Minki when they went back to the building he was first captured in.

“Not a lot. Just me, Areum, Sooyun, Dohee, Isuel, Youngnam, Chinhae, Sunjun, Jaeshin, and now you. We divide all the work. The only time that we work a lot is when Heeyoung decides to host a party, or when we are going to set up and take the Kisaeng to an appointment, or during the season changes.” Minki opened one of the doors. “I've been here for the longest time so I had my own room. But you'll be with me now.”

“Alright.” Junsu nodded. The room was bigger than Areum's but still small compared to what he was used to. He spread out his clothes to let them dry on the ground before following Minki back out. There wasn't much else that he had other than the clothes on his back.

“We have to wake up early to get the water started for the kitchen so the women can cook.” He led him down to a different building. “We chop up wood, which we will have to do again soon, and bring it here.” Minki pointed to the side of the building where half the wall was covered in logs.

Junsu nodded, not liking the work. His hands were just manicured a few days ago. He didn't want to mess them up now. He frowned. But for now he would have to do it until he gets some semblance of what was going on.

 

 

Junsu followed Minki throughout the afternoon, learning his new chores and meeting up with the other servants. They all seemed nice enough to him letting him join in during lunch. They didn't say much to him and he just ate and listened. They all kept their distance which was to be expected since he clearly looked like an outsider. Junsu didn't mind. He was still trying to grasp that he was a servant living in the Joeseon era.

But being around them made him feel relaxed. Perhaps it wouldn't be too hard to adapt until he got home. Junsu observed the other men laughing and eating together. They all seemed close, He thought.

 

 

He didn't see Areum until late at night when he was hauled off by Minki to the back where the horse stables were. Heeyoung and the blacksmith were waiting with her.

The blacksmith was muscular and thin, covered in soot. Junsu thought the man, who went by the name of Jaeshin, was rather odd. He didn't seem to particularly interested in their conversation during lunch and didn't even mind that his skin was covered in soot. It disgusted Junsu a bit when Jaeshin didn't wash his hands before eating. The only time he spoke up was to interrupt the conversation with the mentions of the turtles that he saw by the pond. Later, as he was helping Minki haul hay into the stables, Minki told him that Jaeshin was an artist and sold his pieces he made in the neighboring cites.

Junsu was impressed at his ability to work with metals but now he hated the fact that he was able to do that very thing. He eyed the fire pit warily not liking the embers that floated out. Areum, seeing his worried expression gave him a small smile before looking away.

“After today, you are officially my servant.” Heeyoung said gravely. “You must keep all my secrets and are sworn to serve me and I will swear to protect you.”

Junsu gulped seeing Jaeshin dipping a poker in the flames.

“Bare you arm.” Heeyoung ordered.

Junsu untied his shirt, taking his left arm out of his sleeve. He had an audience and hoped that he could maintain his composure. Being reduced to a crying mess wasn't what he wanted. He had to look manly and cool especially in front of Areum and Minki.

He bit his bottom lip, closing his eyes waiting for the oncoming heat. The pain on his lips from biting was nothing compared to the pain on his arm. He could smell his skin burning, making him want to throw up. Tears prickled behind his eyelids as he fought to stop them from spilling, but it was hard. It felt like eternity as Jaeshin was branding his skin.

As soon as he felt the branding iron leave his skin, he grabbed his arm, walking around in circles, anything to distract himself from the pain.

Minki spoke up from somewhere. “He won't be able to use his arm tomorrow.”

“I know. I'll let him rest.” Heeyoung said. Junsu thanked him silently. “I can't have someone useless do any work. What if he broke something?” Heeyoung added. Junsu cursed him silently. “But we are done here. Areum bandage him up.”

“Yes master.” Junsu heard Areum say.

Junsu didn't notice the others, only Areum's hand on his good arm, as she led him away. They ended up behind the servant rooms. She had a bucket of water and cloth bandages. There wasn't much light out so Junsu couldn't see the mark on his arm. He just watched Areum dip a cloth in the water silently, still trying to hold back his cries of pain.

He could feel his skin start to blister. He needed something to distract him. He turned away from Areum, in case any tears escaped, and asked. “Did you get branded too?”

“Ah, no....” Areum said softly. “He doesn't brand the girls.”

Junsu flinched as she pressed down on his skin. “How long have you been here?”

“For a while. I worked somewhere else before Heeyoung saved me.”

“Oh.” Junsu could hear that she didn't want to speak anymore about her past. Instead, he chose to ask her something that had been bugging him all day. “I have a question.”

“Yes?”

“Why is Heeyoung our master if he's--”

“Shhh!” Areum squeezed his arm. Junsu gasped out, flinching away from her. “You can't say anything like that out loud. Especially outside.”

“Sorry.” Junsu grunted out, trying to deal through the pain. “I was just curious.”

“I don't know either.” Areum reached back out to him, pulling his arm back to her. “But he treats us fairly and even gives us pay.” She began to bandage up his arm. “We keep his secret and keeps us safe.”

Junsu nodded. It made sense. Even during his time, anyone queer was looked down on. It wasn't right, but here it would be even more dangerous. Heeyoung puts his trust on these people and keeps them safe. Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to stay here. Even if Heeyoung was rude half the time. He made a face.

“I thank you for saving me and Minki from being punished.” Areum looked at him. She sat back, done with mending his arm. “I'm sure you regret it.”

“It really wasn't much what I did. I owe you my life. It's the least I could do.” Junsu shrugged, flinching as the movement hurt his arm.

“What did you do before you came here?” Areum asked.

“I was...” Junsu paused trying to think of the best way to word being an idol. “I was an entertainer. I sing.”

“Sing?”

“Yes.” Junsu sighed looking up at the darkening sky. “It's my favorite thing to do. I have been singing since I was young.” He looked at her. “Do you want me to sing a song for you?”

“Um, sure.” She gazed at him curiously.

Junsu racked his brain for a minute, trying to find a good song to sing. Some song that didn't have any English words.... he sighed just deciding to sing the first song that came up. (It's Holding Back the Tears by DBSK if you want to follow along.)

A smeared white painting and my faded scent

are concealed by a glaring cloud

whoa

My wordless heart slowly starts to move my feelings

Those times that slipped through are in my hands

Junsu paused, omitting the English lyrics.

I walk, try to lessen the weight of my heart

To a place that is neither close nor far

Where a different me stands, I won't cry

Once again I bring my two hands together in a place where I live in reality

Instead of the memories

Even though this sound stupid, I'm always with you

The pain that I want to let go

Dries up the tears that flows through me

Junsu didn't know why that one song came up, but he kept singing. He hadn't sung that song in almost eight years. He hoped that his voice didn't crack as he the high notes. His body was still weak.

I walk, trying to lessen the weight of my heart

To a place that is neither close nor far

Where a different me stands, I won't cry

Junsu paused taking a glance at the young girl. She was watching him with awestruck eyes. He smiled. Now that was a reaction that he was used to. He finished the song with much more confidence, singing louder.

I run, adding to the weight of my faith

To a place that is neither high nor low

where a different me stands again with a small smile

I can laugh

The air was silent after he sang the last word. Although it was a song he sung when he was in TVXQ, it seemed to fit the mood he was in. Areum looked shocked that something so beautiful could come from a man.

“That was wonderful.” Areum finally got out as soon as she was capable of speaking.  “But there were some words that I didn't understand. Did you make it up?”

“Yeah. I like to compose songs. But I didn't compose this one.” Junsu shook his head. He forgot that some of the words he spoke were modern. He wanted to slap his forehead. He can't cause too much suspicion. “I used to sing with four others.” He said thoughtlessly. “In fact, this song was one of the ones that I sang with them.” Junsu shrugged, he felt like he had to share this. “Then I left and sing with only two of them now.” He paused, looking up at the sky. “I sing by myself now.”

“Do you miss the people you sang with?”

“Yes. A lot.” Junsu sighed looking at her. “I'd like to sing with them one day again as five.”

“I'm sure you will.” Areum tried to sound encouraging although she didn't know what he was really talking about.

“We are too far away at the moment.” Quiet literally, Junsu sighed. “I hope we could reunite.”

Footsteps from the other side of the building and loud laughter brought Junsu back to his reality.

Areum yawned, getting up from the floor. “I'll be going now. Thank you for that lovely song.” She smiled. “I truly enjoyed it. You are really good and I could feel the emotion you put into it.”

Junsu flushed at the sincerity of her words. He always felt awkward when praised for his vocals. Even in Joeseon, his voice is probably the best in Korea if not all of Asia, Junsu thought smugly.

He stood up, testing his arm. He grimaced, his arm was sore despite it only being a small part of his skin that was branded. Thinking about his room, he suddenly remembered the bottle of pain killers that he bought. Perhaps he won't have to suffer so much after all, he grinned to himself.

He bid Areum good night before going into his shared room with Minki. Minki was already laying on his futon, asleep but he left a small candle on for Junsu. Junsu was grateful. Minki seemed nice and loyal if shy. But he thinks that he could get along with him if once he got to know him. After all, no one is unable to resist his charms.

Junsu searched through the pockets of his cardigan and jeans, pulling out the bottle and wallet. There was a bed roll already laid out for him and he leaned back, taking his medicine. He opened his wallet, pulling out the couple of pictures he had stored in. He was thankful that he had them laminated. The rest of the bills in his wallet were completely wrinkled from the dip in the water. He gazed at the pictures, tracing them once in a while before stuffing them back into his wallet and blowing out the candle. 


I hope you guys can guess the cameos. ;D Thank you for subscribing and reading. and I will keep thanking you all because I truly appreciate it. This chapter was getting too long for me to properly introduce everyone. I may end up tweaking up the future chapters and these so if it happens, it happens.