What is this feeling?

Be still heart of mine.

“Yah, Kasi. Wait for me!” said Mark.

Blackish short hair shaved on the sides, built body and doe eyes. He came running after me in the t-shirt I had gotten him for his birthday. Baby blue v neck, it hugged his abs and pecks perfectly. I don’t know when I had start to notice these things about him, but lately it seems I had noticed more and more.

“Mark, hurry up or we’ll be late for Surgery!” I said loudly waving my hand trying to make him hurry. Why did he always take so long to get ready for work! But, looking towards his massive pecks I forgot what I was saying and soon he was past me.

“Now who’s the one falling behind! What made you loose focus? The girl at 2 o’clock?” Mark said looking towards a younger girl bent over exposed under her skirt. It was nice! But, for some reason it wasn’t as nice as Marks pecks.

Ever since I was a kid I’ve liked girls, I’ve dated girls, had more pleasure with girls and identified as a lesbian. So why now was I feeling oddly towards my best friend? Why is this making me question my uality? Maybe I should stare some more at that girl. My eyes shifted and looked to her once more, only for her to look up and see me staring.

*Totally awkward!*

“Yeah, she’s got a nice back end!” I said giving Mark a swift punch in the arm and letting out my fake giggle.  I looked down at my watch, and boy were we late! “ 10 minutes Mark! RUN!” I said and we both took off sprinting. We lived in a neighborhood where cars and taxi’s weren’t too common. The town was small and not many people were out. We both lived together and worked together so it made things simpler and less boring.

“We are here, I’ll go clock us in, you go put your scrubs on and I’ll meet you in the prep room. Surgery is at 3. Okay Kasi?” Mark said waving me off. Watching his back end was quite satisfying too. So satisfying that I ran into the door while taking glances.

*Good job me! Now my forehead and nose will be all red.*

 I quickly just rubbed it off and ran into the changing rooms to change into my scrubs. I am and Nurse at our local hospital, and Mark is the top surgeon. I work under him so, it’s nice but, sometimes since I’m still learning...I make things difficult for him.

*Now that I am done changing I need to head to the Prep Room.*

Heading down the hall as fast as I could I accidently bumped into another nurse with a tray of surgical equipment, knocking them everywhere.

*I am probably the clumsiest person. I think that’s why I cause Mark even more trouble. But, I’m trying not to!*

I quickly helped the other nurse pick up the instruments she was taking away from the last surgery and made it into the prep room. Mark looked at me and shook his head while pointing to his watch. I was almost late! I washed my hands and arms making sure to scrub as well as I could, I walked into the room. Cool air hitting my hands giving me a small chill, another nurse holding the gown open waiting for me to put my arms through, she then tied it around me and slipped gloves over my hands. I took my place next to Mark, scalpel at the ready. One of our nurses read out the patient’s bp and heart rate.

“Today we are doing a liver transplant, now let’s do our best and give this man a new chance at life.” Mark said holding his hand out. “Scalpel.” He said and I proceeded to hand him the scalpel. The surgery only took about 3 hours. Now we had to wait for the patient to wake up and keep him here for 2 weeks to look for signs of rejection. I was the attending nurse which means I would be on shift 12 hours every day for the next 2 weeks.

*JOY!*