Awakened

Got Me Good

It was if someone had smacked him in the head.  The light was a bit bright and his body was stinging.  He didn’t remember how he got in the bed.  He kind of didn’t want to know.  Feeling a bit groggy from the anesthesia, he pressed the help button and within seconds a nurse entered.  She explained to him everything and it slowly creeped back into his mind.

“So what now?” He asked, feeling helpless in the hospital.

“Well because there are some muscle tears, you will have to stay in the hospital for a week, minimum.  We are adding on another week as well because the doctors want to do some tests on you once your stiches get better and when you heal a little more.”  The nurse informed as she wrote something down on the clipboard.

“A week??  How am I going to pay for all of that?” Sehun thought and groaned.  Sure, he did just get a raise, but he was still trying to recover financially from the house he just bought. 

“If the doctors clear you, you might be able to get out in less than two weeks, but that is all up to you.” The nurse smiled, “I’ll be outside.  Do you need anything else?”

Sehun shook his head and looked at the clock.  It read 10:28am.  He couldn’t move because of the stinging pain so he just the TV, hoping that lunch would come soon.  His mind began to wander as he thought about the crime scene.  What happened to the criminal?  What about Suho?  What about the girl he saved? Then he remembered.

“Ahh, the check.  Dang it!  I hope the bank recovered it.  It was so much money!” He mentally scolded himself for being so careless with the check.  Just then, the door slid open and in came a tired looking Suho.

“Oh thank god you are okay.  I was about to cry” Suho plopped down into the chair.

“It looks like you already did.” Sehun commented, smirking.

“Yah!  How can you be joking right now?  You almost died.” Suho asked with wide eyes. 

“They key word is ‘almost’.” Sehun added, earning a pretend punch from Suho.  Sehun shifted a little bit to avoid the fake punch, but then winced. 

“I’m sorry, man.  I heard the bullet got plunged into your .”  Suho frowned as he pulled out something from the plastic bag he walked in with.  It was take out sushi from a nearby restaurant they hardly went to, but loved dearly.

“Yeah, it hurts, but not as much as it should.  The medicine is very strong.  Hey, man, I can’t eat anything.  I’m on a strict liquid diet for a few days.”  Sehun mentioned, but was interrupted by Suho.

“That is why I brought you this.”  It was a bubble drink, just like Sehun liked it.  Sehun saw it and smiled wide. 

“You know me so well” Sehun laughed.

Suho stayed with Sehun for a few hours and then gave up on going back to work.  It was Friday anyway so the office was slowing down.

“So whatever happened to the man?” Sehun wanted answers the nurse probably couldn’t give him.

“Well, after he shot you, he was distracted so I pulled the gun out of his hand and tackled him.  People were helping me restrain him until the police came.  Because there were CCTVs and everything, he won’t be released for bail or anything.” Suho explained. 

Sehun digested that information for some time before asking, “And what happened to the girl?”

Suho looked at Sehun and smiled slightly.  “She’s fine thanks to you.  Interestingly enough, I think she might have helped save your life.  She’s a nurse here.”

This new information peaked Sehun’s interest.  It’s not like he liked her or anything. 

“Oh, does she?  Has she come by…at all?”  Sehun pretended to be nonchalant, but Suho knew Sehun too well.

Suho shook his head and Sehun sighed.  Maybe she’ll show up later, he thought.

“Oh by the way, could you make sure everything goes smoothly with the house I just purchased?  Check the plants and check the mail.  If anything needs to be signed, just bring it to me.” Sehun asked.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door and it slid open.  In the door, stood a lanky man.  He had glasses that covered most of his face and cute little mustache.  He was in his late 50’s, presumably a doctor. 

“Hello Oh Sehun and friend!  I am Dr. Han, the man who performed your surgery.”  The man smiled really big, almost in a goofy way.

Sehun laughed and bowed as best as he could, “Thank you so much Dr. For everything.”

“Now I would like to talk about a few things regarding your stay here and the event that took place.  First of all, you seem to be healing well.  Heart rate is good, blood pressure is a little high, but steady and you aren’t running a fever.  Once your stiches come out, we will want to do a few tests.”

Sehun nodded.

“Now, this is the good part.   Because of your heroic actions, the hospital has chosen to pay for all your medical expenses.  You won’t be in a huge debt once you get out.  This is great news, right?”

“NO WAY DOCTOR!” Suho yelled in shock and stood up in his chair.  Sehun told him to sit down.

“Way.  There is more.  The local news wants to interview you.  You have become a national hero overnight.” Dr. Han smiled and looked expectantly at Sehun.

Sehun was amazed.  He’d never imagine he would get so lucky yet so unlucky.

“I can’t allow the hospital to pay for everything; it is too much to ask for.” Sehun tried to refuse, but Dr. Han kept shaking his head. 

“Don’t think of it as the hospital for paying for it”, Dr. Han paused, “Think of it as me paying for it, as a token of gratitude. 

“Look, I’m just a normal guy who….” Sehun began, but was cut off.

“..it is a token a gratitude….from me as a father.  The father of the girl you saved.” Dr. Han bowed down really low.

Sehun gasped even though it hurt.  Thoughts were rushing through his head at a 100 mph.  The girl…her father…interview…paid for…  He was beginning to have a headache again.

“Thank you son.  Now, I am very protective of my baby, but I’m going to allow it.  She wants to speak with you.”  Dr. Han nodded before pulling the door back.

“Riho ah, you can come in now.”

If he could move, Sehun would have sat up, anticipating her arrival, but the best he could do was face his head towards the door.  He held his breath, waiting to see the girl he jumped in front of the bullet for.  She walked in slowly, her hair in a high ponytail and her oversized flower scrubs hanging from her shy limbs.  Sehun released the breathe he realized he hadn’t been holding.

“Hi” she smiled and it took his breath away.