Best Buddies

When A Virgo Dates A Scorpio

 

image.JPG

 

Every Saturday night Amber would go to a jazz bar in downtown and perform with the band as a drummer. Last year her best friend Eric Nam asked her to fill-in the position, and she have been hanging around since then. After their performance ends at ten o'clock, the two of them would sit in the back of the bar and chat. Often these two would not leave until the bar closes. What do they talk about you ask? Their worries as closeted homouals in an asian community. 

"My mom is setting up a blind date for me again tomorrow," Eric shakes his head slightly as he stirs his Long Island Iced Tea cocktail with the straw. 

Amber listens closely as her friend continues to talk.

"I just don't want to ing go. You know after the twentith time you would think my mother understands, but no. She keeps setting me up with her friends' daughters, and everytime I have to sit there and pretend that I am interested." Eric sighs, "You know what? One day... one day I am going to come out to her and that would be the best day of my life." He takes a sip from his drink as Amber takes over.

"Same here, but that could only happen in our dreams. My mother would disown me if I tell her, or maybe not... You know everytime a gay person appears on tv she would say 'they are not normal and god will punish them for being so'." Amber's mother is a devoted Catholic. "I think my mother says that to me because she knows that I'm gay and she want to scare me out of it, but I'm not sure. I cannot ask her anyway."

"Well you are more obvious then I am. Usually, I'm manlier at home, or at least I pretended to be. Now that I think about it, I think my mother knows so that is why she keeps on setting me up on blind dates. There was this one time when I went onto a gay site on my laptop and I left the bedroom to go to the bathroom. When I came back into the room there was a bowl of soup on my desk. I forgot to exit out of the site, so my mom might have saw the screen when she came into my room to put down the bowl of soup."

"Eric, you are so careless." 

Even Eric laughs at himself, "I know, but maybe that was meant to be. I don't want to drop the bomb on her. Instead, I want her to slowly realize it that I'm gay. You know how Korean people are; they conservative as hell, and nosy too. Everytime my relatives comes over they be like 'Oh, is Eric dating yet? He should be in a stable relationship and start thinking about marriage and blah blah blah'. In my mind, I so wanted to bang their heads against the wall so they could shut the hell up. It is none of their ing business! And that's the only thing they talk about- my love life! You see, Taiwanese people are better because they are more open."

Quickly, Amber shakes her head to disagree. "No, they are not. They are only okay if other people's sons and daughters are gay. If their own child is gay, there is no ing way they will accept it." 

Eric nods his head as he drinks from the glass.

Then came a moment of silence, and then both of them sigh.

"Wouldn't it better if we were white?" Eric is trying to light up the mood.

"Not if we live in freaking Oklahoma." Amber response in a humorous manner. 

"Well, let's cheers to that since we are not," Eric picks up his drink, and so did Amber. After clinking glass, he asks Amber about Krystal.

"I came out here just to forget her for a while and you have to bring her up, huh?" Amber said, half-jokingly.

"Something going on between you two? Let me see if I can help."

Amber leans back against her chair, slouching. "She's mad... Again! Hhh.. Sometimes she's more troubling than my mom." The tomboy does not know how to deal with her girlfriend, at all. Therefore, she have not contact Krystal since last night. She know she will be cooked again if she's not prepared, so before she figure out the reason why her girlfriend is mad she will just hide in her nutshell for a while. We all know whenever a Virgo is mad, their words can cut deeply.

"Girls are complicated, but so are boys."

Amber turns the table on Eric, "Oh yea, how are you and Kevin doing?"

"Him? I still don't know if we are together or not. He's not answering my calls. Ever since he found out about those blind dates he had been urging me to come out to my mom. I seriously don't know what to do." Well Eric, maybe Kevin wants you to stop going to those blind dates set up by your mother. Furthermore, Kevin may even be waiting for your call right now, and the same goes to Krystal, Amber.

 

The two of them left the bar in 4am in the morning, and part their ways, heading back to their respective homes. Amber enjoys walking the lone street alone before the sunrise. It is the perfect way for her to think of solutions for her problems. Every single day she encounter countless of people and all of them would think of her as an optimistic, outgoing, funny girl, but that's wrong. Amber is can actually be very pessimistic. In fact, all virgos are pessimistic to a certain degree. Being a private person, Amber does not want everybody to know of her secrets and problems. Only those close to her would know, and most of the time not even her close ones would be informed about her troubles. 

After Amber got home and took a shower, she went straight to bed and slept until the late afternoon. 

Her mother comes into her bedroom, "Baby it is time to wake up. You already skipped breakfast so you don't want to skip lunch." 

"I am not hungry," Amber mumbles and turns to her side and continues to sleep.

"Drank with Eric again?"

"Mm"

"Don't stay out too late. If you guys are going to drink, then come back to house and drink." Mama Liu it would be troublesome if they actually did that.

"Mom, I'm 24." Amber, no matter how old you are your mother will still treat you like a child. Every parent does.

"So what you are 24? Have you ever act like a twenty-four year old? Always jumping and playing around like an immature young adult." Amber will always be her mother's little baby. As an only child, Amber is pampered, but not spoiled. 

 

Eventually Amber wakes up because she is not in the mood to sleep anymore since her mother talked too much. She sat at the dinner table and ate lunch with Mama Liu. Busy with work and Krystal, Sunday is the only day Amber get to spend some quality time with her mother. Papa Liu died three years ago when Amber graduated from college. Then, Mama Liu had a tough time coping with the matter. It was Amber who helped her get through it so the two fo them are really close. At the same time you would wonder why doesn't Mama Liu know that her daughter is a lesbian if they are close. Maybe she's in deep denial, or maybe Amber is good at hiding it?

"Tell Eric to come over for dinner. It has been some time since I last saw him." 

"He's busy seeing people, but I'll try. Don't make stinky tofu like last time. He literally used up my bottle of Listerine." How can Eric not like the signature Taiwanese dish?

"But he told me it taste great." Isn't Mama Liu a bit too innocent?

"He said he was not to able to kiss anyone after eating it," Amber jokes as she checks her phone. She had just received a message from Krystal.

"Who is it?" Mama Liu asked out of curiosity. 

"A friend," Amber gives a succint respond and puts her phone away since she's having a meal with her mom. 

 

 

Stupid, where are you?

Sorry I was eating with my mom.
May I come over?

If you want...

Wait for me, Princess
I'm coming over

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

 

TBC...

 

Amber don't be too excited it might be a trap.... Be prepared. A scorpio's sting is fatal.