0 2

Fireflies in the Night

 

02

 

 

"Since when do I have purple eyes? This is a trick!" he immediately screamed at Chanyeol. Kai broke into a laugh and pulled Baekhyun's hair back roughly, making him bite his tongue in an effort to silence his pain. "Listen here, if you behave like a good boy, maybe we won't kill you. Yes? Chanyeol here hasn't taken blood in a long time." the red haired boy said calmly as he let go of Baekhyun's dark brown hair.

 

Baekhyun shut his eyelids and thought fervently to himself, This is a dream. This is a dream. This is a dream... When I wake up everything will be back to normal.Chanyeol and I will be back in school, and nothing ever happened. Please.

 

His wishes weren't granted.

 

His eyelids flew open in a harrowing shock when Chanyeol grabbed his jaw forcefully with his other hand. "Answer us, Silver Blood," he said, baring his sharp incisors threateningly. A shaky breath escaped Baekhyun's mouth as he looked harshly into the other's eyes. 

 

"What happened to you? Who are you? You're not Chanyeol."

 

Chanyeol's grip on his face slackened for a fraction of a second and his lips twisted crookedly in a manner Baekhyun had never seen before. It was downright terrifying to see Chanyeol in this state.

 

If everything Baekhyun had seen so far were true, Chanyeol and Kai were... vampires. Everything seemed so absurd, he wanted Chanyeol to just take the glass and smash it against his head in that moment. This was just not happening!

 

Before either of them could speak a word, all the colorful lights around them dimmed and died in a succession. The screamings stopped in the minute of darkness. In the deafening silence, Baekhyun heard Kai curse to himself, "She's here. God damn it."

 

Who?

 

The entrance busted open with a loud rush of wind and Baekhyun shut his eyes tightly instinctively. A series of hollow sounds, wood against the stone floor resounded through the club and it got louder, as if... As if it were heading for them. 

 

His heart began beating wildly. The cold aura grew stronger and he immediately felt relieved to at least have Chanyeol near him.

 

Finally, the clicking sound stopped in front of Baekhyun.

 

"Great Mother," he heard Chanyeol say without hesitation. Baekhyun felt the taller drop to the ground beside him in a kneel, although the grip on his wrist was still there. "Great Mother," Kai muttered with a grudging tone behind them as he knelt down onto the floor as well. The rest of the hall had the same sounds of clothing rustling. As much as Baekhyun could figure through his shut eyes, they had knelt down as well.

 

So that meant he was the only one not kneeling.

 

And he did not want to.

 

"Kneel, Baekhyun," Chanyeol hissed as he tugged on his arm. Baekhyun ignored him. "Kneel!" This time, the other pulled his arm so hardly, his already bruised insides felt like they were on fire. Surprisingly, the flaring pain subsided after a moment.

 

He didn't kneel.

 

A low growl emitted from Chanyeol's throat and for a fleeting moment, irrational fear coursed through Baekhyun's veins. "Stop, Chanyeol," the unknown person standing in front of him said. Her voice was nothing special. She sounded like a normal lady who you would meet on the streets. There was nothing threatening to it.

 

Chanyeol stopped growling.

 

"Look at me, boy," the lady spoke, her voice smooth and velvety, and somehow melodious. Still a little afraid, Baekhyun did not open his eyes. His breath hitched when a cold hand touched his cheek and tilted his face upwards.

 

"Open your eyes," her voice had taken on a slightly colder edge. Fearing for what could happen next, Baekhyun took a deep breath and opened his eyes. Her face was extremely pale, almost translucent to the point he could make out the blood veins pulsing behind her skin. Her eyes were yellow as well and she held a long twisted wooden staff. A red jewel the size of a fist sat atop it, glowing with a sort of power.

 

After a few suffocating minutes with the two of them looking at each other, the lady threw back her head in laughter, her black shoulder length hair flinging to the back.

 

"My warriors!" she said loudly as she hit the ground with her staff. Her voice bounced off the walls of the hall resonantly. The red jewel then glowed a shade brighter and Baekhyun shifted backwards uncomfortably. "After thirty years." 

 

"After thirty years, we find a Silver Blood!" 

 

Baekhyun swallowed a gulp thickly and he tried to move his feet, but they seemed to be stuck to the ground. About every person in the hall tilted their head upwards to catch a glimpse of him. An unsettling feeling started to swept across his body as the crowd began muttering to themselves and the thought of escaping passed his mind but he immediately threw it aside.

 

There were simply too many of... Them. Whatever they were.

 

Chanyeol who had been kneeling silently for the past minutes suddenly spoke up, although his eyes were still fixated on the floor, "My lady, I suggest you take the Silver Blood's ichor as a gift. It is a pleasant surprise, for this to happen on a Blood Moon. This is a blessing from Goddess Mereen." The words passed over Baekhyun's confused ears like water but he was pretty sure it did not mean anything good.

 

"A blessing indeed," the lady agreed as she turned to look at Baekhyun. Uh oh. "But I have other plans for this Silver Blood! A plan that will bring our Kind to it's former glory! Do you not want glory? My warriors?"

 

The whole court roared in agreement and Baekhyun could not help but flinch. At this rate, he was pretty sure he was going to be dead meat. And he did not want to die so early. As much as he wanted to escape, Park Chanyeol was still gripping onto his arm tightly. Baekhyun flexed his fingers and nearly jumped when he could not feel anything. .

 

The crazy lady fixed her yellow irises on him and he froze in his spot. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die seeing yellow eyes, he thought sarcastically to himself.

 

"Chanyeol, do you want to try out one of your theories now?" she asked the taller sweetly while tapping her fingers on the staff. Baekhyun immediately looked at Chanyeol with wide eyes as he smiled maniacally and brought his other hand up to his fangs.

 

The next thing Baekhyun knew was a new gush of red liquid coming from his other arm and Chanyeol forcing it onto his mouth.

 

Baekhyun thrashed and kicked at his action, yelling, "Let me go! I'm going to murder you you motherfu-" He stopped moving curtly when he realised some of the blood was in his mouth, and the liquid disappeared down his throat, leaving a metallic taste.

 

"Goodnight, Baekhyun," Chanyeol chuckled, devoid of any emotion. Baekhyun quickly reached out in desperation in an attempt to strangle the taller, but his body went slack. What?

 

His vision turned dark.

 

------

 

"Chanyeol you'll be in charge of this experiment."

 

"Can Kai be my second-hander, my lady?"

 

Baekhyun's opened his eyes in shock, only to be blinded by a white light. God damn it.

 

Collapsing back onto the cold sheets, he settled for eavesdropping on the conversation while trying to get rid of the dancing spots in his vision.

 

"...Well of course. If you insist."

 

"Thank you, my lady."

 

"This is an important experiment, Chanyeol. Do me proud," the lady's said, voice sounding quite ecstatic like a mother after receiving news that her son had scored well in class. Chanyeol answered, a smile evident in his tone, "Yes I will."

 

Slowly and cautiously, Baekhyun peered out into the surroundings. Ah ha! You stupid little lamp, he thought truimphantly when he realised there was a small bulb positioned directly above his head. He then stretched out a hand and gingerly moved the lamp away from his vision with squinted eyes. To his surprise, the lamp floated away to the high ceiling above him.

 

Okay...

 

"And Kim Kai," the lady suddenly said. Baekhyun winced at her sharp, knife like tone, quickly retracting his hand. It was only then he realised that the air was extremely cold. It prickled on his skin, causing goosebumps to appear all over. She continued in the same tone, "We need to talk."

 

"My lady it was only a-" Kai replied with a muffled sound, probably through gritted teeth.

 

"I said, we need. to. talk."

 

The white room was then filled quickly with silence and tension, and Baekhyun wondered to himself if something were to happen soon. Tentatively, he flexed his fingers by his side and was relieved to find them alive and well. He thought that his bones would have been broken because of Chanyeol.

 

There was a sound of a door opening, then slamming, before a sigh resounded through the room. "I'll leave the boy to you, Chanyeol." Then the door opened and closed again. Baekhyun held his breath and closed his eyes instinctively when he heard footsteps moving towards him.

 

They eventually stopped beside the thing he lay on. "I know you're awake," Chanyeol rumbled in a voice lower and more hoarse than usual.

 

Chanyeol's voice made Baekhyun want to sit up and punch him, or cry, or maybe both. He wasn't even supposed to be in this place. He was stuck in an unknown place, kidnapped by his friend and he was cold.

 

Cold.

 

Holy .

 

At that mind jerking thought, Baekhyun sat up with eyes open in anger. "You!" was the first word that he spat. Chanyeol stood beside him (it turned out to be a bed) with an eyebrow raised, "Yes?" "I said I'm going to murder you!" he yelled, then scanned Chanyeol's body up and down with little interest. He had to point out to himself that the taller dressed differently though.

 

Chanyeol had changed into a black hoodie and he wore dark brown slacks which essentially made him look taller. The last thing was his spectacles. They were gone. The nerd spectacles were gone. It was just wrong. Park Chanyeol was as blind as a mole.

 

Baekhyun bit his lips apprehensively as he lifted his eyes to match Chanyeol's. They were still yellow.

 

No...

 

Questions began to fill up Baekhyun's mind once again, ones that had much confusion and anger but after a minute of struggling to find words, all he managed to say was a soft, "What happened to you?"

 

The moment it slipped out of his mouth, Baekhyun knew it was the most sincere thing he had ever said. His bottom lip trembled slight as they held eye contact. His mind was abruptly taken back to the past, where the boy had once been shorter than him. He had sparkly and innocent eyes, and an eternal grin plastered on his face. He still remembered the times when he sat by the window ledge of the orphanage, watching Chanyeol stumble by with his books.

 

Park Chanyeol was the only one he ever truly knew.

 

Baekhyun did not want to lose anyone anymore, not Chanyeol.

 

"Nothing happened to me," the taller finally said under a heavy breath, breaking their eye contact as he looked down onto the tiled floor, "It was all part of a plan. You've been tracked by Kai and I since you were a kid." Baekhyun could hardly breathe upon hearing that. What?

 

"I don't un-"

 

Chanyeol waved off his sentence with a harsh glare and hissed, "You don't need to understand anything, Byun Baekhyun. The only thing you need to know is that your're going to be dead by next month." Baekhyun opened and closed his mouth but no sound came out. There were so many thoughts swirling in his head, a sharp pain shot through it like lightning. This is not happening, definitely not happening, he reasoned internally with himself.

 

Not giving another care, the taller then turned away and walked towards the metal door. Baekhyun trailed eyes after the tall figure, somewhere between hopeless and weariness. "And there's one more thing," Chanyeol paused before opening the door. Baekhyun fixed his gaze on Chanyeol's back listlessly, waiting for his next sentence.

 

 

"Everything you've ever seen about me? It's all lies."

 

When the door shut behind him, the sound never sounded so more like death bells ringing in the distance.

 

------

 

The only good point about this damned place was that it had so many weird yet interesting contraptions for Baekhyun to fiddle with. To be more precise, many weird yet interesting contraptions for Baekhyun to fiddle with while mulling over how he dies.

 

How lovely.

 

The place did not have a clock, so only god knows how many hours he had spent inside the whitewashed room. But he knew it had to be quite long since he had already played and messed up the general setting of the room. The toys were placed haphazardly around the few desks that were inside, some even making their way to the bed and some scattered across the floor.

 

To some uplifting extent, Baekhyun was glad that he could at least see all these contraptions before he died because, holy crap, they were admittedly amazing and cool. Now, he sat on the cold floor beside the bed pulling and tugging at the legs of a mechanical spider.

 

The metal arachnid buzzed and hissed in his hands, almost like a real one. A small smile made its way onto Baekhyun's face as he pressed a button on its body, making it spit out metal web. "Hmm..." he said contemplatively as he ran his index finger over a particular button which was red. The tiniest feeling of excitement crept into his heart and he turned his body towards the door.

 

It made perfect sense to Baekhyun that the door would have some awful curses attached to it since he was technically a prisoner, so he did not bother touching it. He certainly did not want to be magically shortened, or zapped motionless.

 

His mind drifted back to the thing Chanyeol did to him with the blood. It was particular scarring and he did not want a replay of it. Unconsciously, he moved his tongue around his mouth in an effort to register the taste of the blood. 

 

Baekhyun quickly reverted his attention to the squirming spider afterwards. Maybe the red button could something kickass, like breaking open the door? Deciding to take a chance, Baekhyun hit the button. A red beam shot out of the spider's head buzzing with so much force, Baekhyun's back hit the wooden frame of the bed with a loud thud. 

 

To his utmost horror, the door opened roughly and a red-haired boy stepped through with quite a menacing snarl etched on his face. 

 

"Kai! Watch out!" Baekhyun yelped, clutching onto the contraption to his dear life. Fortunately, Kai reacted quickly. Without so much as widening his eyes in shock, he dropped to the ground with nimbly just as the red beam hit the metal door. 

 

Baekhyun watched in half spirited amazement as an angry hiss sounded upon contact with the metal and the same triangle from the club glowed into existence. 

 

When all the chaos (triangle included) subsided, the boy got up from the ground as if nothing happened. Instead the scowl on his face disappeared and was replaced by an almost enthusiatic smile.

 

"That spider actually still works huh," he commented as the spider wriggled out of Baekhyun's limp hands and skittered across the floor over to Kai. It then scampered up Kai's jeans much to Baekhyun's amazement before Kai picked it up and patted its small head. "Glad to have you back, Beanie."

 

Baekhyun nearly let out an amused laugh at that statement. He asked incredulously while staring the odd scene of a person patting a robot, "You have a name for it? Seriously?" Kai shrugged after hearing his question. Swiftly, he pressed the off button on the spider and it shuddered to a stop on his palm. "I mean like, why not?" he mused in reply.

 

Baekhyun could hardly suppress the smile on his lips as he pushed his body upwards to sit on the bed. After scanning the room once more, he commented while swinging his feet like a child, "This place is surprisingly nice." "Really?" Kai questioned after placing the now dead spider onto a nearby desk.

 

He then stood up straight and gave Baekhyun a half-smile, "Then I'll leave you to yourself. I thought this was my room just now. Sorry for disturbing." On an unknown impulse, Baekhyun blurted out immediately, leaning forward on the bed, "A-Actually, can you stay?"

 

Kai gave him a genuinely questioning look and the two of them looked at each other from the two ends of the room. Baekhyun did not know what overcame him, but all he knew was that he needed answers, answers to everything. Especially Chanyeol, he thought.

 

A slightly uncomfortable look passed on Kai's face for a moment as he blinked his eyes. Baekhyun did not know what Kai had seen in his eyes through his yellow ones, but the red haired boy slowly nodded his head as he turned around.

 

"I'll stay."