0 1

Fireflies in the Night
 
01
 
 

 

The dilapidated building sat forlornly in front of the two of them and Baekhyun snorted as he put his arms akimbo, "How lovely." He then turned to look at his tall friend under the flickering light of the torch. "Did you bring me here to get kidnapped?"

 

Park Chanyeol remained silent, probably not hearing him again. Sighing, Baekhyun followed after him reluctantly. His breath fogged shakily in the cold night's air as he watched his friend kneel onto the ground overgrown with dying and dried grass. They were supposed to go and catch the monthly dance of the fireflies in the very same forest, but tonight Chanyeol had insisted they come here.

 

He was not amused.

 

It was cold, more eerie then usual and their only light was the small torch Chanyeol brought along on his own accord. Other than that light source and the full moon, it was pitch black around them.

 

"What are you doing?" he asked as the black haired giant pressed and felt the rusting metal walls of the building, pausing at every other crevice. Chanyeol did not answer him again, completely immersed in finding El Dorado in the walls. Kneeling beside Chanyeol curiously, Baekhyun stared at his face which was illuminated by the torch light.

 

The more he stared, the more unsettling he felt. It was the first time he felt this kind of uneasiness from Chanyeol. He was usually dorkish, dumb and somehow adorable, always making lame jokes, but today, it was different.

 

He was too quiet and his face seemed to be flushed off all its color, slowly turning as white as sheet. His lips became redder over the passing minutes as well, like all the blood from his face had flowed into his mouth area. Baekhyun was sure it wasn't a trick of the light.

 

A cold wind picked up and Baekhyun whispered, eyeing Chanyeol's busy hands, "Can you at least hurry up?" "Help me hold the torch," Chanyeol said suddenly, his actions sharp as he stuck his hands in an unnaturally large hole. Due to the almost biting cold, Baekhyun took over the plastic object in his hands without question, only to nearly drop it in shock.

 

The torch felt as cold as the night's air around them.

 

Not bothering to register that feeling, Baekhyun held the torch up for Chanyeol to see. 

 

Honestly what the heck is he doing? he questioned skeptically to himself while watching his friend reach and dig for something in the crevice hear the ground. First the drags me off into the forest after dinner. Secondly he tells me that we're not going to see the fireflies. Thirdly he brings me to this damned-

 

His thoughts were abruptly cut off when Chanyeol turned his hand, his face close to the wall and his tongue stuck out in concentration. An almost inaudible but soft whirring of contraption buzzed into Baekhyun's ear and he looked at the crevice in shock. A second later, an eerie red triangle with circular designs in it glowed a dull red against the metal walls before a rectangular patch beside the two of them glowed alive with the same red light.

 

Chanyeol grinned for the first time that night as he pulled out his arm and patted down his hair, "That was unexpected." "Well you're unexpected!" Baekhyun retorted in a pitch higher than his original voice, glaring at the taller. He then gestured with his head to the rectanglular while wrapping his arms around his body in an attempt to keep warm.

 

"I didn't know you practice black magic, Park Chanyeol. Now, can I ask why the am I doing here?!"

 

To his utmost surprise, Chanyeol reached forward and cupped his mouth with a worried frown on his face. "Mgnn mmffng!", he tried to argue stubbornly behind Chanyeol's tightly clamped hand. He stopped when Chanyeol shot him a dead serious look. The giant then said in a hushed tone while looking around their surroundings, "We need to keep quiet. So, please."

 

Upon ending his sentence, he released his hand and Baekhyun asked back spitefully, rubbing his cheeks, "Why?"

 

"This is sort of... Illegal."

 

"Illegal?"

 

Chanyeol nodded while walking towards the rectangular cut out which was still giving out the eerie light. As Baekhyun walked up to him, he said with a soft sigh, "You know you haven't given me an explanation for bringing me here. I want to see the fireflies! Haven't we been seeing them like every month? Together?"

 

The taller's body froze for a fraction of a minute but it went unnoticed by Baekhyun. Baekhyun then poked Chanyeol's arm playfully before staring at the rectangle unsurely. "We'll see the fireflies next month, I promise," came the reply from Chanyeol, but Baekhyun could hear the uncertainty in his voice. Without another word, Chanyeol turned away from him.

 

"What-"

 

A second later, the taller turned back towards the metal wall and rested his hand on the rectangle. A suspicious looking liquid trickled down the wall before the rectangle shifted back smoothly, revealing-

 

A club.

 

Much wows.

 

The music pounded loudly in his ears as Chanyeol dragged him through the entrance. As pissed and confused as he was, Baekhyun grudgingly acknowleged the layout of the club. Colorful LED lights were strewn all over the place as people danced on the glass floor. A DJ was busy working at his station, his place flashing with yellow and blue lights.

 

"Come on!" Chanyeol said with excitement as he pulled Baekhyun into the crowd. It smelt less worse than normal clubs, so Baekhyun had less reasons to want to wring his fingers around Chanyeol's neck. He tried to keep his amazement down as robot hovercrafts the side of a drink tray flew around them with glasses of champagne sitting atop. Furthermore, the glass flooring lit up with color everytime somebody stepped. It was amazing in some way.

 

After staring around, Baekhyun turned his attention to the hand which was gripping tightly to his. Tingling sensations made its way up his arm, and it felt strangle good. It was like his blood was also feeling the crazed atmosphere of the club.

 

Until he spotted blood trickling down Chanyeol's palm onto his.

 

"Chanyeol!" he shrieked, pulling away sharply. The crimson liquid had stained his palm and he stared in horror at Chanyeol's. A cut had been made across his, and the liquid massed around the wound. As if not realising the cut, the taller frowned, "What is it? I want to you to meet my friend."

 

"Oh rea- I mean, you're bleeding!" he shouted over the loud music of dubstep and electronic dance music. Chanyeol's sentence had caught him off guard but the blood on his hand was too disturbing to make him distracted. Dumbly, Chanyeol looked down at his hand.

 

He then shrugged as if the wound did not hurt, "It's fine."

 

"Let's go see my friend! Go go go!"

 

Baekhyun was prepared to give his friend a good scolding about the possible infections that could happen but he was already whisked away. Baekhyun soon forgot about the wetness of the blood between their hands as Chanyeol led them through the colorful hall. "Here, have some," he said as he plucked off two tall glasses from a nearby hovercraft. 

 

The liquid seemed like normal yellow champagne even so, Baekhyun stared at it suspiciously. He had bad experiences with champagne or any other drinks in the club due to his other friend back at college. The image of the guy sprawled on the carpeted floor while muttering incoherent sentences had done its permanent effect on his brain.

 

"I think I'll pass..." he said as he pushed the glass away. Chanyeol pouted and said, "It's not bad. In fact, it's going to be the best thing you've ever tried." The comforting smile Baekhyun got made him reconsider. 

 

He finally took the glass and took a tentative sip. An explosion of flavour entered his mouth, shifting from apple cider to a tinge of vodka to something amazing he had never tried before. A smile made its way across his face as he drank the remaining content.

 

"Good right?" Chanyeol asked as he drank his own cup, eyes on Baekhyun. They then continued walking while taking sips.

 

"So, who is this friend of yours?" Baekhyun started as he stared at the crowd of jumping people around him.The music was starting to get to him and he resisted the urge to join the crowd. The taller cocked his head in deep thought before answering, "He's a friend I've known since we were toddlers. Plus, he made all this."

 

Chanyeol then gestured to the entirety of the club, leaving Baekhyun astounded. He blinked at him, thinking that he had gone mad.

 

"All... This?"

 

"Yeah. The lights, to the hover crafts, to the drink you're holding right now."

 

"Wow. Holy . That's true talent. I've never seen all these things in my life."

 

Chanyeol laughed as they weaved through the crowds and flashing lights. Baekhyun soon realised that they were going towards the DJ's table. The boy at the table was the definition of hot. He wore a black sleeveless shirt with a pair of matching black tight jeans and his hair was a deep wine red. A familiar triangle was tattooed on his pale skin on his upper arm.

 

"That's your friend?" he asked incredulously. Chanyeol nodded enthusiastically before calling out, "Kim Kai!" The skinny, pale skinned boy turned to look at them and Baekhyun got a momentary shock when he saw yellow irises in his eyes.

 

Chanyeol went forward and bro-fisted the guy before whispering something into his ears. In the flashing lights, Kai's yellow eyes flickered over Baekhyun's form with a sense of hunger and he suddenly felt an urge to run. The two of them held eye contact for a moment and his senses were unconsciously tingling with danger but he held his ground instead.

 

"And yeah, he's the childhood friend I told you about," Chanyeol said after leaving Kai's side. It was sort of amusing, seeing the two of them stand side by side. There was Chanyeol looking so dorky with his nerd spectacles and then you have Kai, looking like the epitome of gangster and hot. 

 

Baekhyun then commented lightly while crossing his arms, "Jeez I wonder how you two even clicked." Kai let out a good-natured laugh as he patted Chanyeol on the head, "It's sort of a long story. And you must be Baekhyun. I've heard a lot about you." Before Baekhyun could question how the heck this yellow eyed kid knew him, Kai nudged the giant with a playful look, "From this guy here."

 

"Chanyeol! What have you been telling people?" Baekhyun deadpanned. He knew very well how Chanyeol could gossip about people, even though he did not look like those kind. Chanyeol ruffled his hair with his hand, a slightly embarrassed and uncomfortable look passing on his face after the sentence got out. 

 

Kai smiled as he returned to the space in front of the DJ table, "Nothing much, Baekhyun. Nothing much." He tapped on some buttons afterwards and the song shifted to another more fun and upbeat tune. "Enjoy the night as much as possible guys. Before some weird... people come along and crash." Baekhyun shrugged nonchalantly. It was fine. There would always be weird people everywhere.

 

For the rest of the night, the two of them kept close to Kai as he manned the DJ station, occasionally going down to dance. Baekyun felt his mood shooting up as he danced. It had been a long time since he had been this happy, and damn, this party was amazing.

 

It seemed like only a short while when a loud scream suddenly pierced the stuffy air, followed by another.

 

Baekhyun stopped dancing and looked around in surprise, like a few others around him. "What's going on?" a girl asked her friend as she tip-toed to see over the crowd. "Get away from me!" the same voice screeched in terror, so loud, it caught Kai's attention as well. The music stopped abruptly just as a sickening crack reverberated through the crowd.

 

"Oh, my god!" another voice shouted in panick, "H-he kill-" A second crack sounded and this time, all hell broke loose. Loud snarls filled the club space along with more yells for friends' names. Confused and frightened by the unknown situation, Baekhyun turned around and ran towards the balcony where Chanyeol and Kai were standing. 

 

When Baekhyun got to the balcony, their voices reached him first. 

 

"This isn't supposed to happen!" Chanyeol shouted desperately at Kai who was staring at his hands, as if waiting for something to happen. "Why is the moon so early?! This is wrong!" Kai then snapped back furiously at his friend, "I don't know! I don't know! Stop asking!" 

 

Baekhyun nearly retreated upon hearing their enraged voices. He had never heard Chanyeol this agitated. "Open the doors!" somebody wailed in the background. Kai stood up from the controls solemnly and gripped a joystick Baekhyun had never noticed before.

 

Chanyeol immediately threw his hand over Kai's and glared coldly at him, "You can't! We are just going to go out and murder the whole town! Might as well sacrifice the ones who are here!"

 

What? Baekhyun thought in confusion.

 

Another second passed and the chaos grew. Some people fell onto the ground, then they stood up again with strange guttural sounds emitting from their throats. Baekhyun watched in horror as one of them lunged at a man and sank his teeth into his neck. He got up with blood spewing all around the ground and his face dirtied with the red liquid.

 

Baekhyun screamed when the guy looked up at him and hissed, a pair of long fangs jutting out from his upper jaw. "Chanyeol! Let's get out of here!" he yelled while stumbling backwards. When there was no answer, he turned around and shouted, "Chan!"

 

In the moment he fixed gazes with the taller, his vision rippled with a strange light and his body felt light as if he were floating on air. But it made no sense. His two feet were still planted on the cement ground. Kai suddenly doubled over onto the controls, hyperventilating and snarls coming out from his throat. 

 

With fearful wide eyes, Baekhyun stared at Chanyeol, hoping none of this nightmare would happen to him. Chanyeol did not collapse or anything, but his brown eyes slowly faded into the same yellow Kai had and his fingernails elongated into claws quickly as he stood as still as a statue. 

 

"C-Chanyeol? Chan?" he called out tentatively. Still not believing his eyes, Baekhyun stretched out a trembling hand to touch Chanyeol's cold face. "Chan... It's me," he said, continuing to move towards the taller. 

 

The haunting yellow eyes followed Baekhyun but there was no reaction. Suddenly, Chanyeol grabbed his outstretched arm with so much force he felt pain shooting up his bones. Baekhyun instantly backed away, trying to pull his arm back but Chanyeol's grip was unbelievably strong. Chanyeol hissed while baring his teeth, tongue flicking over his newly inquired fangs, "It's been you all the time."

 

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Baekhyun screamed in a strangled voice as he struggled to make Chanyeol loose his grip, "Chanyeol! It's me! What are you doing?" "It's you," Chanyeol insisted as he moved his face unbearingly close to his. A lot more screams could be heard in the background and Baekhyun held his breath.

 

It was so confusing and terrifying, Baekhyun started feeling a throbbing headache. 

 

"We've been looking for you, Byun Baekhyun," Chanyeol growled as he tightened his grip further. The pain increased immensely and Baekhyun felt weak around the knees. He pleaded, eyes slowly filling with tears from the unbearable pain and all the other million things that happened, "Chanyeol let's go back. This is madness!"

 

"You're not going anywhere," Kai said. The boy walked up to them and grinned, his fangs showing in the most un-subtle way, "We spent ten years looking for you, Silver Blood." "Silver Blood," Chanyeol agreed.

 

Silver blood? What the actual ? He was a normal human and he wanted to go home, now.

 

Baekhyun then narrowed his eyes angrily at Chanyeol but to his surprise, the taller laughed. His laughter sounded so normal, Baekhyun almost raised his hopes but the taller instead cooed scathingly as he continued, "The little healer doesn't know what's happening?" Chanyeol broke into a spine chilling laughter after, "So adorable." 

 

Kai wordlessly passed Chanyeol an empty glass which he held in front of Baekhyun's face. Baekhyun backed away defiantly, only to get pulled in further. "Look," Chanyeol instructed coldly. When Baekhyun gave him the evil eye and snarled at him, Chanyeol simply twisted Baekhyun's wrist, making him drop to the ground in searing pain.

 

"Look!" Chanyeol shouted with such an immense authority that Baekhyun had no choice but to look at the glass reluctantly. "Look at who you really are, Byun Baekhyun."

 

A pair of violet eyes stared back at him from the glossy surface.