The storm bringer

Black Magic

The storm bringer

Jongdae felt a terrible pain numbing his senses. He could feel something hard below him and weird warmth surrounding him. He heard wood cracking somewhere near and the first thing he thought about was fire. Not recognizing where he was, he slowly opened his eyes, feeling a slight fear making it’s way to his heart. A small groan escaped his lips as he sat on the uncomfortable bed. Looking around he frowned, taking in the unknown space.

Right in front of him, in the centre of the wooden room, was a dark table, further, on the opposite wall was a single window, looking though which Jongdae realized there was still a blizzard outside; and heavy doors. On his left handside was a wall, with a wooden door with no glass in it, leading to gods know where, on the right handside was a small fireplace in which flames where consuming logs. Judging from how many there were and in what state they were, Jongdae guessed someone must have put them there not a long time ago. “But who? And where are they now?” he thought to himself, looking around once again. Then he felt something weird on his hand and looked down. “A bandage?” he spoke out loud, his own voice startling him. When he was about to take it off he heard noises coming from behind the wooden door and the knob started to move. He quickly reached down to his belt, looking for his knife, but it was not there. Feeling panic taking over him, he took a deep breath and stood up, in the same moment as the door opened and someone came in. “Huh?” a sound escaped his lips as he saw a petit male entering the room. He was a bit shorter than him, very thin and pale, unhealthy pale. These were the first three things Jongdae noticed. The stranger had short, blond hair covering his ears and falling onto his forehead. His eyes were big, icy blue and beautiful. And his lips… “Oh, you’re awake,” the other’s voice brought Jongdae out of his thoughts. His voice was smooth and pleasant, but also weak. The boy himself looked nothing but weak, Jongdae realized. “Who are you?” he decided not to play the nice and just go straight down to business. Last thing he remembered was him getting through the forest in a blizzard and storm, now he was in an unknown room in an unknown place with an unknown boy. He needed answers. The boy chuckled and put something on the table. Jongdae looked at it and it turned out to be a bowl, steam rising from it and a sudden sweet smell wafted into the room. “Please, eat.,” the stranger just said, pointing at the bowl. Jongdae furrowed his eyebrows and intended to take a step back, but he hit the bed and instead fell back onto it. The boy chuckled again and sat on one of the chairs, “you are weak and need to regain your strength. Please, eat before it cools down. And that will happened quickly unless you start now.” “I am weak?” Jongdae cracked up, eyeing the boy, “have you seen yourself?” But the stranger only looked down, and Jongdae suddenly felt bad. The boy at the table was probably the one who brought him there, took care of his hand, whatever happened to it, and now prepared a food for him. Not saying a word he moved foreward and sat opposite the boy, smiling slightly when he took the spoon. He slowly brought the spoon to his mouth, feeling the other’s eyes never leaving him. A pleasant warmth took over him the moment he tasted the prepared food. Opening his eyes after a moment he saw the guy in front of him smiling. “Does this reaction mean you like it?” he asked, his eyes turning into a small half moons. “Yes, yes it does.” Jongdae replied, studying the blond’s features. The boy was wearing a simple white shirt, through which Jongdae could see his collarbones, visibly traced on the thin fabric. His complexion was almost of the shirt which got Jongdae worried. Never before had he heard of or seen anyone from the Eastern Woods to look like this boy. Apparently, there were only a few people like this in the North, all of them members of the royal family. But what got Jongdae thinking was the fact that even though the boy looked so unnaturally pale and weak, he still managed to look healthy. He had visible muscles on his arms and chest, which caught Jongdae’s eye. He smirked, keeping his eye on the boy. “Stop staring,” the boy said, crossing his arms, but he smirked himself. “So, right now, may I ask who are you?” Jongdae repeated his question, lying the spoon on the table. “My name is Xiumin. But more importantly, who are you?” The silence fell upon them for a moment, the only sounds around being of fire and snow. Jongdae cleared his throat and got up, straightening his back. “My name is Kim Jongdae,” he said and bowed. Xiumin took a sharp breath and quickly got up, his chair falling to the floor. “You are,” he whispered and Jongdae had to fight the urge to laugh at how big the boy’s eyes got, “ you’re the Prince from the West. You’re the storm bringer.” Xiumin finished and bowed the deepest he could. “Yes, yes that’s me,” he nodded and the sky outside became white, as the ground trembled from lightings striking it. It sent shivers down Xiumin’s spine and his eyes shone bright blue. Jongdae caught it but the color faded away too quickly for him to be sure of what he saw. Instead, he saw something different. Drops of sweat appearing on the other’s forehead, his body starting to shiver and his chest rising and falling faster than moments ago. “Xiumin, are you alright?” he asked but the boy did not answer as he swung in place; Jongdae quickly rushed towards him and caught him before he hit the ground. “Come, you have to sit,” he brought the boy to bed, not failing to notice how light the boy was. “I will bring you some water, just tell me whe…,” “No, don’t. Please, you shouldn’t. I’ll be alright I just need to cool myself down. I’m not used to such high temperatures,” Xiumin mumbled, bringing his hands to his forehead. “High temperatures? There’s a blizzard outside, how can it be too hot here?” Jongdae asked confused, looking at the boy, who let out a weak laugh, “let’s say I was never fond of… hot surroundings.” “Are you sure you don’t want any water?” “No, thank you…. I’m sorry I don’t know how I should address you, prince.” “Please, just call me Jongdae. After all you saved my life. I owe you.” Jongdae said, bowing again. “Please, don’t bow. You’re the Prince of the West…” “I’m the Prince of the West who would be frozen to death if it wasn’t for you.” He took a seat next to Xiumin, placing his hand on the boy’s shoulder. “And what is the Prince of the West doing here in such a weather?” Xiumin’s breathing got back to normal as he took his palms off of his forehead and placed his hands on his knees. “The Prince of the North is getting married, I’m going to the wedding.” “Through the East?” “I had things to take care of in the South, and crossing the Eastern Woods to get to the Crystal Bay seemed like the best idea.” Xiumin chuckled at this, looking amused, “Was it? Taking this shortcut almost killed you.” Jongdae raised his eyebrow and leant back, resting his body weight on his elbows, “but if I hadn’t gone this way, I would have never met you, Xiumin,” he said, the boys name rolling off of his tongue like a snowflake, feeling strange but nice at the same time. The prince let out a laugh as he realized there was a slight blush on the other’s cheeks.

Xiumin quickly looked a different way, trying to hide his now even warmer face from the prince. “I thought the North and the West were enemies,” he blurred out, wanting to change the subject as soon as possible and focus the other boy’s attention on something else than him. He felt crushed under Jongdae’s gaze. “They’ve been for so long, I’m not sure If anyone actually remembers what is the reason behind it….,” Jongdae whispered, focusing his eyes on the fireplace and the golden flames dancing inside it. “I thought it was the missing Prince of the North? And that it was followed by what happened to the Prince of…,” Xiumin suddenly stopped himself, not being sure if he should continue. But Jongdae only looked at him, lying himself down on the bed, giving a slight nod, a sign for him to continue, “to you brother.” A sigh left the prince’s lips as he chimed in. “Yes, yes, my brother and the mysterious prince. Do you want to hear this story from one of the side’s involved?” he asked, looking up at the boy. Xiumin only shook his head, his love for stories and legends getting the best of him, as he moved further onto the bed, crossing his legs, an excitement visible in his eyes. The prince narrowed his eyes a bit in confusion, trying to work the stranger out. “There are two main versions of this story and many additional ones, built up on gossiping and imagination. I will tell you my version of the story,” Jongdae once again focused his attention on the fire, as if finding some sort of peace in it. Taking a deep breath he started speaking, “ I don’t remember much. I was a little kid at that time, around three I think. It was such an amazing day; a beautiful and warm day that started the hell… I was playing in the garden, my mother was sitting under a tree holding Jongin, my little brother, in her arms. He was about a year old. It suddenly got really cold and snow started falling. I was amazed, I had never seen snow before. But what followed the amazing scenery of a falling snow were shots and screams. I didn’t understand much, well, I don’t know if I understood anything. But I remember, as if it was yesterday, the day when the winter soldier got into the castle, to the western wing, the one where me and Jongin where put. I was told to take care of him…. I was in charge of keeping my little brother safe…,” his voice started becoming quieter, his eyes never leaving the flames.,” The soldier came, dressed in an icy uniform, with an arrow in his hand. He pointed the arrow at us and let it go. I remember someone pushing me to the side, then I hit the floor and heard a loud scream. I quickly got up and saw my nanny lying on the floor in a small pool of blood with an arrow in her chest. My brother was lying next to her, black tears falling from his eyes. It was a terrible sight. Later it turned out the arrow was poisoned, not only have it killed my nanny but blinded my little brother as well. My mother was furious, never before or after have I seen her like that. I thought the war would never end. Do you understand what it meant for my brother to be blinded?” he blinked and turned to look at Xiumin. The boy was silently watching him, listening carefully to every word. As their eyes met, Xiumin shook his head and Jongdae continued,” he was born a teleporter. My brother was meant to be the real definition of the Master of Chaos. And now, being blind, he’s nothing but a slave in his own body. Not being able to move around on his own, not being able to use his powers at all. He’s no one. At least that’s what my parents say. I would never say he’s no one, but I do understand what they mean. That winter soldier didn’t kill him, but took his life away anyway. My mother never stopped blaming the North. The war finally came to an end, but the peace was never really there.” The prince finished his story and let out a long breath he did not know he had been holding. For a moment they were both silent until Xiumin frowned and poked the prince on the arm, “but I don’t understand. Why would the North attack you in the first place?” “Because they were sure the West was responsible for kidnapping the prince.,” he explained, letting out a sigh. “And was it?” Xiumin asked, focusing his eyes on the prince. “No.,” was all Jongdae said and the silence fell upon them again.

“Tell me something about yourself..” Jongdae got up and sat opposite the boy, crossing his legs as well. He was eager to get to know something about the mysterious boy from the middle of the woods. But instead of hearing a story back, he was met with disappointment. Xiumin’s head fell down and he got up from the bed, moving to collect the empty bowl from the table. “There’s not much to tell, you know,” he whispered and disappeared behind the same door that he came through, only to be back a moment later barehanded. “Are you kidding me? Everyone’s got a story! You’ve heard mine, let me hear yours.” Jongdae was persistent and decided not to back down. He was a prince and he always got what he wanted. Xiumin sighed as he thought the same. Instead of getting into an argument with the prince he stood by the window and rubbed his hands against his arms. “When I was a little kid my parents died in the war. The people I serve now took me in. End of story.” He confessed, eyeing the weather outside. “Did they die in the Great War?” Jongdae asked and Xiumin nodded. “How old were you then?” Xiumin thought for a moment, trying to remember anything he knew about his parents. “I was around two when my parents brought me here. They had to leave to the Western kingdom. It was two years before the war started. I have never seen them since then.” He explained, slowly moving back towards the bed.

Jongdae titled his head to the side, a weird feeling starting to grow somewhere inside him. “You came here to years before the war broke out?” He asked yet another question, keeping a focused eye on the boy in front of him. Xiumin only nodded, bringing his hand to Jongdae’s forehead. At the touch, which turned out to be unpleasantly cold for the prince, he jumped and moved back. “What are you doing?” Xiumin chuckled at the prince’s behavior and a small smiled crept onto his lips, “I’m checking if you’re still feverish, prince. When I brought you here you were very hot.” “Oh,” was all Jongdae managed to let out as he relaxed his muscled again. He wanted to ask something else but they heard a loud banging coming from behind the wall. Xiumin took a sharp breath and grabbed Jongdae by the wrist, pulling him up. “You have to run, Jongdae,” he whispered, his voice nervous, as he was hurriedly looking around, searching for any of the prince’s belonging. He didn’t see the smirk that appeared on Jongdae’s lips upon hearing his name coming from his lips. “Your horse is right behind the corner,” Xiumin started, but another loud bang was heard, followed but some screams, “put your coat on, take your horse and leave this place as fast as you can.” He breathed out, pushing the prince out of the door. “Are you going to be alright?” Jongdae asked, looking in the direction from which the screams were coming. “Yes, just please, leave. They cannot find you here.” He whispered, opening the door. Jongdae put his coat on, looked at the blizzard outside and at the boy at the door. “I’ll be back, Xiumin.,” he grinned and before the blond boy could response, the young prince was gone in the night.

The moment Xiumin closed the door, the other opened and a massive shadow covered him.

A/N

Here we go, the first chapter! It's my first superpower au, so any comments and feedback throught the story would be very welcomed :)

I hope you'll find this story entertaining and worth reading!

Please comment and subscribe and upvote; and most importantly - have fun reading! :)

Best wishes,

badblood.