Chapter 4

What Happened?

edited

 

 

 

Why now? Why there? Why him? So many questions went through Baekhyun’s head. Although, it seemed there were no answers for any of them. The main question that Baekhyun kept going over was, why had everything in the past, been visiting the present right then and there?

 

Chanyeol waved and said, “Hi.”

 

Both males were just looking straight into each other’s eyes until Baekhyun sighed and just walked towards his usual spot. He sat down and let out a breath. Chanyeol then walked to the couch near where the chair Baekhyun was sitting was situated, and sat down.

 

“I know you weren’t expecting this. I mean who would? Especially after a year long of distance. But I just need to talk to you,” towards the end, Chanyeol started to look desperate.

 

Baekhyun then put on a confused expression. “But why? Why now?”

 

Chanyeol looked down then looked back up again with a dedicated expression. “We were best friends. We knew stuff about each other that we didn’t even know about ourselves. I know that you don’t like talking about what happened but-”

 

“Stop. Please.” At this point, Baekhyun shut his eyes, refusing to hear the past.

 

Chanyeol sighed and whispered, “Our friendship isn’t something to throw away.” With that, Chanyeol stood up and walked out of the library.

 

When Chanyeol’s presence was gone, Baekhyun opened his eyes and was finally able to breathe. The past is the past….






 

Baekhyun was at the cafeteria eating his lunch observing everybody. He took another bite of his sandwich when he heard his phone go off. He kept chewing while he unlocked his phone and checked the new message. When he saw it was from Chanyeol he smiled.

 

From: Giant

 

Baek! Meet me at the roof. I got food ;D

 

Baekhyun snorted before he replied.

 

To: Giant

 

So do I

 

Seconds later he received a reply. When he read it his heart did a flip and he laughed.

 

From: Giant

 

Yes but is it from me?


 

To: Giant

 

Nope


 

From: Giant

 

Exactly, now come on Baek. Rooftop, meet me


 

To: Giant

 

Fine


 

From: Giant

 

:D

 

Baekhyun laughed and rolled his eyes. He gathered his things and threw away his sandwich. He then made his way towards the rooftop.



 

When Baekhyun arrived at his destination, he was met with a giant’s back. He smiled when he saw Chanyeol and walked towards him. When he got to him he sat right next to him.

 

The big eared male took notice of Baekhyun when he felt someone sit next to him. He smiled. “Now that your presence is here, we shall feast!” Chanyeol then took out two sandwiches.

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and put his bag down. “I already had a sandwich.”

 

“But this one is better, obviously. Now come on, eat.” Chanyeol then handed one to Baekhyun and took a bite out of his.

 

Baekhyun unwrapped his sandwich and noticed there were cucumbers in Chanyeol’s but not in his. He smiled and took a bite. A comfortable silence ensued while the two males were munching on their food. When they were both done, they both laid down, gazes aimed towards the sky.

 

“Hey Baek.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Have you ever loved someone?”

 

Baekhyun looked over at Chanyeol. “Why the sudden question about love?”

 

Chanyeol shrugged. “I don’t know. I always hear about it.”

 

Baekhyun turned back to look at the sky. “Well, I mean I don’t know.”

 

Chanyeol pursed his lips. Another silence.

 

“I think I might love someone.”

 

The moment those words left his mouth, a crack in Baekhyun’s heart could be heard.






 

When lunch was over, Baekhyun decided to skip the last periods and go to the rooftop. When he arrived he noticed how the rooftop kind of changed. The flowers that were on the table on the right were gone. The plants were dead. There weren’t any signs of life.

 

Baekhyun sighed at the sad thought and just went towards the edge and rested his arms on the ledge. He looked over the school and started to realize how big it really is. But he also began to realize how many memories he made in different places.






 

Baekhyun was walking down the rock path when he heard someone call ‘Baekhyun!’. He turned around trying to look for the source. When he was going to give up, someone called his name once again. He turned around once again when he saw someone running towards him with something in his hand. Baekhyun squinted and started to slowly walk towards the unknown person. It was Kyungsoo.

 

Baekhyun then smiled and started walking towards the short male. When Kyungsoo caught up to Baekhyun, he rested his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath. Baekhyun laughed and took the paper out of Kyungsoo’s hand to take a look at it. It was an assignment from his class.

 

“You passed!”

 

Kyungsoo, who finally managed to breathe somewhat normally again, smiled and said, “I know! I really did!”

 

Baekhyun smiled and hugged the boy before finally looking over the paper. He noticed how the assignment was a group project.

 

“You were in a group?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded. “Mhm. Chanyeol and I were put together with some other girl. You don’t know her, but she ended up being quite useful. Actually her and Chanyeol ended up being good friends.”

 

Baekhyun's face turned to shock. “Oh really? What was her name?”

 

“Uh, Eun Ki Sung.”






 

Baekhyun put his hand over his head when he felt a headache coming. He hated thinking or talking about the past. He felt the past is called that for a reason. He didn’t feel like there was a need to bring it up again.

 

He was looking out when he noticed a doe eyed male sitting down at the lunch tables. Kyungsoo. He then remembered how he had free period. He smiled when he saw how the male had a completely blank face while looking out in the distance. Oh Kyungsoo.






 

“Oh so apparently Chanyeol is inviting Ki Sung to lunch today,” Kyungsoo said while picking at his pasta.

 

Baekhyun looked up from his noodles. “Uh, who?”

 

“Member? The girl who worked with us on the group project?” Kyungsoo asked while he chewed on his pasta.

 

Baekhyun mouthed an ‘Oh’. “You know I never met this supposedly Ki Sung?”

 

Kyungsoo shrugged. “I mean I barely even talk to her anymore since the project. I never really clicked with her. But Chanyeol certainly did.”

 

Baekhyun nodded. Then he started to get curious. “So, what exactly is this supposed Eun Ki Sung like?” Baekhyun kept his eyes focused on his noodles.

 

Kyungsoo looked at Baekhyun who was so focused on noodles. He laughed and smirked at the male looking at the noodles. “Why? You jealous?”

 

Baekhyun just shook his head. “Well I mean I might as well know this girl who Chanyeol has taken such an interest in.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled in sympathy. “Dang. You must really like Chanyeol.”

 

Baekhyun looked up at that. “Just tell me Kyungsoo. Do you think Chanyeol really likes her?”

 

Kyungsoo shrugged. “I mean I care for the giant idiot, but I don’t really ask him about her. I don’t really care for her. Not trying to be mean or anything but I just don’t see her as a friend. She’s nice and all but eh.”

 

Baekhyun nodded. “But what about Chanyeol? How do you think he sees her?”

 

Kyungsoo looked up for a bit. “Well, let’s see. I mean he sometimes talks about her. And during the project they usually just kept sharing jokes. And I guess they also like the same music? I don’t know. I don’t really pay attention. But yeah they were usually the ones who would work together while I worked at home doing my part of the work.”

 

Baekhyun nodded and looked down at his noodles again, swirling them around. “Did he say when he was coming?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded and replied, “Yeah. He said just after she got her lunch from her locker. Her lockers pretty far so he accompanied her. My guess is they’re coming pretty soon.”

 

When he heard that, Baekhyun started to gather his things. “Well, just say I had to talk with my teacher on an assignment or something. Just cover me, please?”

 

Kyungsoo looked up surprised. He then nodded. “Fine. You know you can’t be pushing things off you know?”

 

Baekhyun just smiled and waved before he walked away. He exited but looked inside the cafeteria. He then saw Chanyeol entered with a girl. They both had bright smiles on their faces while the girl kept laughing. Chanyeol then saw Kyungsoo sitting alone and put on a confused expression. The girl just said something and laughed right away.

 

They both sat down while Kyungsoo kept eating. Then Kyungsoo lifted his head and his eyes met with Baekhyun who was looking through the cafeteria door’s window. Kyungsoo shook his head before he looked back down at his food. Baekhyun then turned around and walked away, making his way to the rooftop.






 

Baekhyun pushed himself from the ledge and started to walk towards the door. He stopped when he saw a certain pair walking towards the lonely owl in his peripheral vision. His breath hitched. Chanyeol and Ki Sung.






 

“You know you are the only one who hasn’t met Ki Sung?” Chanyeol said while him and Baekhyun were looking for some book Baekhyun needed in the library. Baekhyun stopped searching and hesitated before he went back to looking.

 

“Hm?”

 

“I’m sure Kyungsoo told you about Ki Sung. The girl who worked with us on the group project.”

 

Baekhyun feigned shock and replied, “Oh, Ki Sung. Yeah, Soo mentioned her.”

 

“Soo? Since when did you call Kyungsoo Soo?”

 

Baekhyun shrugged his shoulders. “Well me and him are close.”

 

Chanyeol blinked at Baekhyun, who finally found the book with a glad smile, and said, “Me and you are close. Yet you barely even call me Yeol.”

 

Baekhyun snorted. He dusted the book before he looked at Chanyeol who seemed surprised. “It’s just a nickname, sheesh. Anyways I have to go check this out.”

 

Baekhyun started to walk away and check the book out when Chanyeol said, “But it’s us, Baek and Yeol.” Baekhyun stopped when he said this. He peeked his head over his shoulder and whispered softly, “Lately….has it?” He walked away thinking that Chanyeol hadn’t heard it.


 

Left behind was a hurt Chanyeol. “What happened?”






 

Baekhyun looked at the pair and laughed pathetically. Maybe this was meant to be like this? He then turned around and walked away with that thought. When he closed the door to the rooftop, so did the space of memories in his head.

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

a/n

So I felt there needed to be some past in here. Just to get some background. there will be more flashbacks (no matter how much Baek hates it)

 

 

Hope you enjoyed and sorry for any mistakes :D