INTERVIEW - [KpopStarz]

Daredevils [Woolliment Boy Group][Dareoyals TV][HIATUS]
kpopstarz

20 Questions With The Members Of Daredevils: The KPopstarz Exclusive Interview

By Kaihlee Lo | May 7, 2016 07:23 AM EDT

 

(Photo: Daredevils Comeback Album Cover)
 

K-pop boy band Daredevils made their debut as a six member boy group under Woollim Entertainment in November of 2015 with the title song "Rain Sound". When the boys were getting ready to debut, many fans thought the little brothers of popular boy band INFINITE would follow in their footsteps, however, Daredevils ended up following their own path regardless. 

Though as Woollim's latest boy band, many are keeping their undivided attention on all six members from the oldest Nam Woohun (Ethan/24), Jung Ahnmun (Maj/23), Lee Vino (21), Kwon Jaekwan (21), Guk Jangmun (20), and Yoo Taemaru (Maru/19). 

 

KPopstarz was lucky enough to get some time with the six busybodies members of Daredevils, who agreed to 20 questions! Here's how the interview went.

 

KPopstarz: Though it hasn't been a while since your debut, what kind of music do you think Daredevils bring to the K-pop field?

Vino: Every group has their own colors right? I think we bring a different and new shade of colors. 

KPopstarz: Is there a genre of music you guys would like to explore in your music?

Ethan: Trot? I believe trot is a genre where anyone would enjoy at any age. Also it can be fun if a whole group performs a trot song even if our nasal aren't that great ye 

KPopstarz: What do you feel is the best song you have recorded?

Jaekwan: Our comeback song, "1234 Back" because it had that vibe as our sunbae Infinite and was fun to record.  

KPopstarz: What is your favorite song to cover?

Vino: Lately we've been singing Lovelyz sunbae comeback "Destiny" in the dorm. We haven't done an official cover of it yet but the members sing it a lot together.

KPopstarz: Do you prefer to have fans quietly enjoying your performance or do you prefer them to be loud? Describe your ideal crowd.

Maj: We prefer if they just be themselves. We appreciate both quiet and loud crowds and especially those that sings along. 

Ethan: Depending on which song we perform, I believe it would be nice if fans are loud during a happy and upbeat song.

KPopstarz: What other artists influenced the sound of your new album?

Jaekwan: There are many. Artists in Korea, overseas, and music around the world. 

KPopstarz: Were there any memorable moments while you were recording it?

Maru: There's one. We came back on the third of March and the second is actually our leader's birthday. In February it was Jangmun's birthday so we all wished him birthday wishes on twitter but because we were busy with the comeback, everyone forgot it was Maj's birthday. So he threw a fit on the day of the recording and when the song was released he refused to listen to it with us. 

KPopstarz: Which artist would you most like to collaborate with?

Jangmun: Mike D. Angelo. 

Ethan: Justin Bieber. He's a very influential person and his music has always been my style so I want to work with him one day. 

Vino: Infinite sunbae. 

Jaekwan: Rain Bi sunbae. 

KPopstarz: How did you guys meet? What were your impressions of each other?

Ethan: Some may be surprise but Jaekwan used to be very dark. He participated in a lot of outdoor activities such as sports during the summer time. His nickname before debut was 'Black Mic' because he had dark skin but he sung very well. I thought he was a very interesting person.  

Vino: Out of all the members I've trained the longest under Woollim. As trainees come and go, I was amazed by the talents of all of these new trainees. Maru left the biggest impression on me as he was very young and could have debuted first. 

Maj: I came in around the same time as Ethan and honestly I thought I was older since he has a small and young face. So I addressed him normally until one of the staff scold me saying that Ethan was older than me and how could I speak informally to him. I was very surprised. 

KPopstarz: What is one thing that everyone share in common?

Vino: We all love each and every one of our fan equally. We're fair to our fans. 

KPopstarz: Describe your relationship with each other as band members? Is it more of a business or a friendship?

Ethan: We're certainly close with one another, but it's a 50-50. Depending on who we're speaking to, if I'm with Maru, our youngest, then I'll treat him like a younger friend that I have to offer advice to. But if I'm working with Maj then because of our age and position, we're like friends who works together. 

KPopstarz: When did you first decide you wanted to pursue a career in the music business?

Jaekwan: My mother was a singer herself, so through her I wanted to become a singer myself. 

Jangmun: Music was another form of movement that made it easier for me to express myself. Instead of talking, I wanted to put my words into sound because most people cannot relate to words, but they can to the mood of the sound instead. 

Maru: My passion was dancing. You can't dance if there's no music. 

KPopstarz: How different are your on-stage personas from how you are in real life?

Ethan: Everyone is the same, except for Maj. On stage, he usually gives off a scary leader vibe but in real life he's warm and likes to cuddle. 

Maru: And he kisses the members. 

KPopstarz: What kind of students were you guys in school?

Jaekwan: My grades weren't great because I spent most of my time surrounding myself with music and taking care of my mother. 

Vino: I was a good student who made a lot of friends in school so I wasn't bored. 

Ethan: Before music, I liked art. And in order to showcase our artwork in school, we had to obtain and keep high grades and scores. So I always worked hard to maintain those high points. 

Maru: School didn't mean a lot to me though I learned a lot and take a lot of it into perspective.  

KPopstarz: What is the toughest part of being famous?

Vino: Not getting enough freetime to see our friends and families? 

Jaekwan: It was my mother's birthday and I couldn't celebrate it with her since we were promoting during that time. After our performance she sent me a text saying she bought herself a cupcake since she knew she would be celebrating it alone. That really hurted me at the time. 

KPopstarz: What direction would you like to see the band go in, musically and beyond?

Maj: Anything and everything is fine with us since we'll all be doing it together, so. 

KPopstarz: Vino and Jangmun, you guys made your first debut as lead actors for the webdrama 'War of the Sisters', did you like it and will we be seeing more acting from you guys and the other members?

Vino: On the set the director personally praised Jangmun so I think he'll definitely get another role. As for me, I liked it since I got to film it with Jangmun and also I'm close to some of the other cast. 

Jangmun: I would like to act again with a change of character.

Ethan: Not everyone is make to become actors, but everyone can definitely anticipate future acting activities from us. 

KPopstarz: Do you see yourself as connected with the international K-pop scene?

Ethan: We try to communicate with our international fans through our twitter accounts but not everyone uses that social media. So we also make effort to release English songs in our albums for both our Korean and international fans. 

KPopstarz: What is the favorite memory you have so far of being in Daredevils?

Jaekwan: As an only child, being in Daredevils make me feel like I have five other siblings. My favorite memory of us is when we first started practicing for our debut with all of the official members. 

KPopstarz: What's next for Daredevils?

Maru: A large collaboration project. 

Maj: With our favorite juniors, Royal Chronicles.