You Know Jongdae, Right?

Maybe I Like You Too Much

“Minseok, do you know that Jongdae, the second year, has a huge crush on you?”

Luhan and Minseok, best friends since pretty much birth, were eating lunch at their usual table under the cherry tree in the beginning of April. There was nothing unusual about this topic since Luhan was known as one of the biggest gossipers of the school and somehow knew everyone’s dirty little secrets. Even though Luhan was loud and friendly to everyone, Minseok was quiet and reserved. It was definitely an odd pairing yet somehow they seemed to stay friends.

Minseok sighed. “You’ve told me about ten times now, Luhan. Yes, I do know that someone by the name Kim Jongdae has a crush on me.”

“And you know it’s about time for prom right?”

“Yes, as you haven’t let me forget either. There are many things you haven’t let me forget.” Minseok didn’t even need to look at Luhan to know that the other was smirking past a mouthful of food. “What are you trying to tell me since I know you probably already have a devious plan in mind already. Let’s just get this over with.”

Luhan threw a napkin at Minseok as if he expected it to hurt. “How do you always know when I have a plan?” He didn’t let Minseok answer, even if he had had one. “I think you should ask Jongdae to prom. Do you know how much that would make his day? His month? Probably his entire life, judging by how he talks about you. Now before you start to argue,” Luhan cut Minseok off before he had a chance to open his mouth. “I know the only way you would go to prom-- your last one at that-- is if I made you come or someone asked you. I think you should ask someone this time. Be brave. And you don’t even need to come up with a clever way to do so because I’ve already thought of a way to do it.”

Minseok hung his head into his hand, exasperated.“Why won’t you ever get my opinion on things before you already think of how to do it?”

 

“Baekhyun, do you know if Minseok has already asked someone to prom?” Jongdae sounded so distressed, it almost seemed as if someone was in danger of dying. But to him, if Minseok was going with anyone besides him, it would cause death to his heart. He had liked Minseok, the third year and senior, ever since he had entered middle school and watched Minseok play in a soccer game one day. Now, five years later, Jongdae only has a small window of opportunity left. As far as he knew, Minseok still didn’t know of Jongdae’s unrequited love, and Jongdae knew he needed to move quickly before the elder graduated. Prom was his last bet since graduation was not even two months away.

“He hasn’t asked anyone to any dances; ever.” Baekhyun didn’t even have to think because Jongdae had asked everyday since the date was announced.

“You don’t have to be so mean about it. How do you think I feel? My crush is leaving soon and I have no time left;” Jongdae continued to whine, despite the look Baekhyun was giving him.

“It’s not my fault you haven’t done anything to fix your problem. I’ve tried to get you to do something but you always come up with an excuse why you shouldn’t go talk to him after his soccer game, or catch him in the hall, or even find him after classes. Maybe this serves you right after all these years of avoiding him.”

Now Jongdae was mad. “That wasn’t very nice. You get everything you want, whenever you want, including a boyfriend. Have you ever once failed? I doubt it. Thanks for your help.” Jongdae picked up his lunch and left his usual table, angry and hurt at the same time. Baekhyun, one of his closest friends, could be mean at times, but usually he was nice and just as annoying as Jongdae knew he himself was. The two of them did quite a bit together, such as their singing lessons and their study times. And even though Jongdae was mad at Baekhyun, he knew that he would be gossiping with the elder before their vocal lessons later that day about how the first year Kyungsoo was so little but didn’t sound like it.

Jongdae picked a spot outside in the shade of one of the many cherry trees and sat on the ground. He had chosen this spot because from here, he could see Minseok and his best friend Luhan discussing something that Minseok didn’t seem very interested in. As usual, Jongdae wondered why those two were friends because they were so different. At least he and Baekhyun were alike in more ways than those two. He didn’t think he’d stop asking himself that question because just looking at Minseok’s displeased expression and Luhan laughing loudly and waving his arms around would never get old. He just wanted to know what had gotten Luhan so worked up this time.

 

Minseok was being dragged from soccer practice that weekend to Luhan’s house to prepare for the “master plan” of asking Jongdae to prom. He didn’t want to but not because he didn’t like Jongdae. He didn’t even know the younger boy much, just having had a single class with him last year and seeing him at all of the soccer matches.

“Minseok, you’re not paying attention. Wake up.” Luhan pulled the camera away from his face to frown at Minseok.

“Why do we have to do it this way? I’d rather not do it like this. I’d be more than content with just asking him to his face. Why does it have to be big and over the top cheesy?” He put down the the fake flowers that Luhan had gotten and took his hair out of the ponytail that Luhan insisted he wear.

Luhan’s face softened. “Okay, we don’t have to do this. If you’d rather just straight up ask him, that’s fine. I just thought it would be cute to make him a little video and give it to him. I’m sorry.”

This is usually what happened but this was also why Minseok liked Luhan while a lot of people thought he was a very shallow person. Luhan was kind and though it took some time occasionally, he was considerate and didn’t force Minseok to do things he didn’t want to do-- most of the time. If Minseok was uncomfortable, Luhan took a step back and let Minseok catch up. Luhan was human being, even if most people didn’t get to see that side of him.

“Are you still going to make me ask him?”

Luhan smiled. “It can wait for a bit, if you want. We have another three weeks until prom. What you can do, in the meantime, is actually talk to him. I saw him sitting by himself at lunch the other day, so invite him to sit with us.”

Minseok returned the smile. “He’d probably faint and I honestly would love to see that. Let’s do it.”