Losing Him is Hard (E)

Thantophobia [~]

 

 

"Oh Ha Young? Do you hear me? Can you see me right now?"

 

Those words kept lingering in her head when she saw a few peoples where surrounding around her as they looked worried over her condition. Her eyes narrowed around the ward and she felt her body felt weak and couldn’t move too much or she would just end up hurting herself even more.

 

"….Kai," she whispered when Siwon helped to take off the oxygen mask from her face. The medical team members were quick enough when they received a call from Suho regarding to her condition for being conscious. Siwon, as the head of the team, recorded her pulse rate and the blood pressure to make sure that everything's alright.

 

Suho stood on the other side of the bed with his eyes were glued on her figure that looked completely weak. He had informed to Hayoung's parents and told them about her recent condition. His eyes showed how he felt sympathy with her condition and how she had been saying out a name that he had never heard before. He guessed that she must be thinking about her boyfriend just when she was awake.

 

"Ha Young-ssi? Do you feel any pains? Can you see me?" Siwon asked her another time when Ha Young remained silence. Her blurry vision had changed to become much clearer than before and she saw a few doctors in white lab coats with nurses surrounded around her bed.

 

She gave a weak nod with the question and they breathed sigh of relief. "That's good. Your parents will be here soon. We will be checking your condition every now and then, to make sure that you will be alright."

 

Siwon mumbled something to s after he had one checking her eyes to make sure that she wasn’t having any problem besides the injuries that she had from the accident. Ha Young darted her eyes to one of the doctors as he listened to the head of the medical team carefully. She tried her best to remember everything about what happened on her until she had to be in the hospital with the sound of the monitor beside her filled the ward.

 

Ha Young was transferred to another room and she wasn’t able to move too much, except uttering a few words. She saw Suho checking her record that was taken and a nurse helped to change the IV fluids.

 

The door was opened widely before her eyes caught her parents and her friends in her sight with tears streaming down on her parents' faces.

 

Words couldn’t be use to describe how happy they were to see their only daughter was awake and they were able to see those beautiful eyes again. Mrs. Oh pulled her into a hug and kissed her on the cheek, "Ha Young-ah, are you alright? Do you feel hurt anywhere? Huh?" She shot her daughter with a lot of questions after worrying too much. Ha Young carved a small smile for her mother and darted her eyes to her father on the side of her bed, "I'm alright. It just that I need a lot of rest."

 

"I'm glad that you're awake. I can't imagine losing you because of the accident," she continued and pulled her into another hug. Ha Young's face fell when the moment she heard her mother mentioned about the accident.

 

The tragedy that happened on her was flashed back into her mind and she remembered that she wasn’t in the accident alone.

 

D.O and Chanyeol could tell that she was probably going to ask about her boyfriend.

 

"Mom…" She called, with her hands holding onto her mother's arm tightly, "Where's Kai? I just remembered that we had an accident when a car hit us from the other side and I couldn’t remember anything ever since I'm awake." Ha Young asked and the curiosity could be written on her face.

 

She looked too hopeful, wishing that Kai was still alive and would be alright. Ha Young saw how the expressions on her parents' faces changed and same goes to her friends; D.O and Chanyeol.

 

Suho who listened to their conversations accidentally felt bad to see how she was waiting for them to answer. Please, don't tell her yet about it or her condition will become even worse.

 

"Mom? Dad? Tell me! Where's Kai?" She shook her mother's arm and stared at her father, waiting for their answers. "Chanyeol-ah, D.O-ah, where is he?" She wasn’t satisfied when none of them response to her question.

 

"…He's in the other ward and they are currently observing his condition," her father lied. There was no way he was going to tell her the truth about him when she was not in a good condition yet after being unconscious for a few days.

 

"I….I want to see him," Ha Young tried to get off from her bed but they prevented her from doing so. "No, Ha Young. It's not the right time yet," her mom spoke.

 

Suho saw the situation and quickly went to her, "Ha Young-ssi, you have to get enough rest. You're still not in a good condition, yet."

 

"But I need to see him. He needs me by his side." She tried to get off, stubbornly but they tried their best to let her stay on the bed from leaving the ward. What if she found the truth about her boyfriend? What if she decided to kill herself just after knowing that Kai was no longer by her side anymore?

 

They knew how much she loved him and they kept feeling bad for having to lie her about it. There was no good news about him and his parents were totally miserable over the lost.

 

"Ha Young-ssi, we will take good care of him. Don't worry. He's going to be alright," Suho assured her and Ha Young started to feel calm when she heard his words. "Are you saying the truth?"

 

Suho nodded, "Yeah. And you have to get enough rest because I'm very sure he doesn’t want to see his girlfriend in this condition." Suho patted on her shoulder softly a few times before Ha Young gave him a weak nod. She tried to lock those words in her mind. He is going to be alright. Kai is going to be alright.

 

Suho didn’t know why but he felt bad for having to lie to his own patient because of the situation. Lying to someone wasn’t his choice but he had too after seeing how her condition started to become much better and he didn’t want any bad things happened on her when she found the truth. I'm sorry for having to lie about this..

 

"I would like to meet with her parents for a moment," Suho spoke to her parents and they nodded, following him to leave the ward and left Ha Young with Chanyeol and D.O.

 

Both of her friends took their seats beside the bed and plastered a smile for her, "You're awake, princess," Chanyeol held her hand and caressed on the top of her hand, softly. D.O's heart-shaped smile filled the energy in Ha Young's body, "Sorry for making you guys to worry about me," she spoke.

 

"We worried about your condition." Chanyeol sighed even though deep in his heart, he was still worrying about Kai and tried his best for not showing it on his face.

 

"Thanks for coming. I wish, Kai is here by my side, too. I couldn’t imagine if he died because of the accident."

 

D.O and Chanyeol froze for a moment with her words. Seeing how Ha Young was being too hopeful over Kai, made them to feel bad to think how she didn’t know the truth. All they wanted to do was telling her about him but thinking about her condition during that situation, they knew that it was going to become even worse for her.

 

"Kai is going to be alright." D.O said, feeling like those lies were too hurtful for them, especially seeing how she believed with their words and carved her beautiful smile that Kai made fell for her in the first place.

 

If only you're here for her, Kai.

 

 

---

 

Ha Young had regained her energy and her condition became much better than before and she was allowed to take some fresh air around the hospital. Getting to know Suho even more made her to feel better rather than being lonely in the ward when her parents went back home.

 

Suho had been the only person who would greet her every single day and shared their stories together. Ha Young started to become more comfortable with him since he was the one who had been recording her condition, everyday.

 

Ha Young walked out from her ward carefully with the help of her two crutches and it was her first day to be out of the ward since she stayed on her bed. She decided to look around of the hospital before remembering about Kai.

 

It has been about three days but she wasn’t being able to see him, yet. Whenever she asked about him to her parents, they would be saying that he was taking his rest in his ward and there would be too many reasons were given. But, Ha Young didn’t ask much about it when she decided to go and see him for herself. Kai's parents did make a visit to her ward once in a while and they didn’t mention about their son, even for once.

 

Ha Young thought Kai's parents were still sad over the tragedy that caused his son to stay in his bed longer than her.

 

She made her moves toward a counter that was placed not too far from her ward. She gained her strength to walk closer to the counter to find out about Kai.

 

Something uneasy filled in her heart. She wanted to see with her own eyes and make sure that Kai was like what they have been told all these days.

 

She leaned against the counter, only to be noticed by one of the nurses who was on duty, "Yes? Is there anything that you need, miss?" She asked politely when Ha Young leaned closer to the counter. "Can you check about a patient who is admitted in this hospital because of an accident last week? I need to know his ward. I would like to see him."

 

"And the name of the patient?"

 

"Kim Jongin," she answered. "Wait a minute. I'll check it for you," the nurse responded and typed his name before checking the list name of the patients. She looked up to meet her eyes with Ha Young's, "I'm sorry, miss, but there's no patient with that name in this hospital."

 

"Pardon?"

 

"His name is not registered in our system."

 

"Did he get discharged earlier than me?" Ha Young felt something was not right. "No, there's no record of a person with that name, miss." That nurse told her again and Ha Young felt like her knees started to become weak.

 

A gasp escaped from her lips knowing that Kai's name wasn’t in the system of the hospital made her to think that she was being deceived by everyone around her all this while.

 

She moved away from the counter with tears welled up in her eyes. Thinking hard how she believed with every single words that was told by everyone around her whenever she asked them about him just because they were too worried with her condition.

 

She had no idea that Kai was actually not in the same hospital as hers.

 

By then, Suho who happened to pass by, caught her in his sight and headed to her with a wide smile plastered on his face. He approached her, "Ha Young-ssi, you'reㅡ" Suho stopped for a moment when he saw tears streamed down on her cheeks as she leaned against the wall beside her. "Ha Young-ssi, are you alright? Do youㅡ"

 

"Where's Kai?" She asked. Some people  who crossed by could only stare at both of them and Suho tried his best to smile to them. He eyed her, "What do you mean? I told you that he's in his wardㅡ"

 

"YOU LIED!" Ha Young yelled at his face, made him to flinch with her voice. He knew that something went wrong seeing her in that condition when she started to cry even more. He tried to hold her on the shoulders but she brushed his arms away with her hand, harshly, "Don’t touch me!"

 

They gained a lot of attention at the hallway and he started to panic when she was letting out her anger. He was scared in case she might harm herself with her broken leg and she could lose her balance anytime and fall on the floor.

 

"Look, Ha Young-ssi, there's something that I have to explain," Suho tried hard to persuade her but she pushed him away, "There's nothing! You told me Kai is in this hospital but his name is not registered in the system!"

 

"Ha Young-ssi…"

 

"You and everyone around me lied to me! Why?!" She yelled another time and Suho saw Siwon came from the other side of the hallway to find out more what was happening in the hospital when he heard there was a chaos occurred.

 

"Where is he?! Where is Kim Jongin?!" She asked again and fell on the floor when she lost her balance holding her crutches. Suho wanted to give her help but she refused to when she pushed him away. Suho darted his eyes to his senior and guilty could be seen in his eyes for lying to his patient after seeing how she couldn’t control her tears.

 

Siwon decided to get into the situation and went to her, "Ha Young-ssi," he called for her name softly but she wasn’t responding to him when she kept on crying with the tears flowed down on her cheeks and sobbed hard.

 

"Go! Just go! I can't stand seeing people who lied to me because of this!" She yelled and started to become out of control when she took one of her crutch to scare the people around her. They knew that she was going to do something if any of them stepped closer to her.

 

Some of the patients and nurses who witnessed the scene in the hallway gasped when she tried hard to stand on one of her feet with another one was broken. She glared at Suho and Siwon deadly, pointing out her crutch, "A step closer and I'll hit your face with this thing," she warned them.

 

"Ha Young-ssi, we can talk about this." Siwon told her. "There's nothing to talk about when this guy lied to me about Kai!" Ha Young held out her crutch to point it directly to Suho who took a few steps backward, raising up both of his hands, "….I didn’t mean it."

 

"You should know how I was hoping for him to be here with me! You told me that he was going to be alright but he's not here at all!"

 

Siwon saw Ha Young was busy yelling out to Suho and he took the chance to order his medical team member to get a tranquilizer. He had to stop her from harming anyone in the hospital.

 

Suho and Siwon exchanged their glances and nodded their heads, signaling something. "Now," Siwon mouthed to him.

 

Just when Ha Young felt like a presence was coming closer to her on the other side, she felt someone wrapped his arms around her, controlling her from doing any harms.

 

Suho held her tightly in his embrace as Siwon injected her with the tranquilizer to stop her from being out of control when the doctors helped to hold her without hurting her with that broken leg.

 

"Let me go! Let me…." Ha Young's eyes started to close when the tranquilizer spread in her body, caused her to fall asleep in Suho's embrace. Suho looked down and saw the tears that drenched her puffy cheeks for crying over the truth. It made him to feel guilty to remember how he lied to her about her lover that she missed so much.

 

He didn’t know what was going to happen if she found out later that Kai was actually missing and wouldn’t be by her side anymore.

 

Somehow, seeing her in his embrace like that, made his heart to thump faster and he had fallen for her. Deep in his heart, he wanted to protect her an be by her side.

 

I'm sorry for not telling you the truth…

 

---

 

[January 2015]

 

Ha Young sat on a bench near by a park and waited for someone as she held a polaroid camera in her hands. He had promised to see her at the park ever since they had been together for  almost three years after the tragedy happened on her.

 

She took a glance at her wrist watch and he was supposed to be there on time but it seemed that he was late as usual. Just when she had started to get tired of waiting, she stood up from her seat and was about to leave, but heard a familiar voice called for her name.

 

She turned around, only to see the person who she has been waiting for waving at her with his wide smile.

 

She chortled to see him in her sight with a heart-warming smile that he gave. "Ha Young-ah!" He called for her name again. Just by seeing his face, the smile that used to be missing from her face, was finally there again.

 

Thanks to him, I am able to have my life again like before. 

 

 


 

Do leave your comments about the story. Thanks for reading :)