A Date?

When The Spring Comes

The sunshine tried hard to break through the glass and the transparent curtain in that big room. The flashy gleam forced me to shut my eyes tighter for a while before decided to open them. As far as I remember, last night I slept in the sofa with the sleeping Yi Fan in my lap. But this morning, I found myself in a big king sized bed. He was still sleeping beside me. I watched this man carefully. He looked so calm in his sleep, but I couldn’t deny that I saw some worries and scars in his deep slumber. I put away some strands of his hair which is covering his handsome face.

My little wish is to wake up every morning next to you, Yi Fan. I smiled.

I decided to take a bath. And when I came out from the bathroom and saw him was still in his position. I came closer to him.

“Yi Fan, wake up,,,,” I whispered in his ear.

He moved a bit, opened his eyes and looked at me. He was so cute with that expression in his bed hair. Forget it, he was not cute. He was hot. His hand reached for mine and held it.

“You’ll prepare the breakfast?” His voice was husky, the best morning music ever.

I smiled and nodded. “What do you want to eat?”

“Toast and milk. American style?” He sounded so childish.

“Chocolate jam?” I just wanted to make sure that we still liked the same thing.

He smiled.

“Clean yourself and meet me in the kitchen.” I messed up his messy hair.

***

The breakfast was ready right before he came out from his room. I placed a glass of warm milk beside his toast. He sat down in front of me and directly sipped his milk. I smiled over him.

“You look brighter.” My mouth said it before busily chomping my toast.

“Maybe. Do you want to go on a date?” he smirked.

“Seriously?” my voice sounded so strange because the food was still on my mouth. Disgushting. Maybe I looked like a kid.

He nodded. “Don’t let me change my mind. Finish your breakfast soon, so we can go.”

“Yi Fan, can you take me home first? I have to change my clothes.” I remembered that I still used his big t-shirt.

“Sure.”

***

I waited Yi Fan to change his clothes in his big living room. When he came out, he looked so cool. His white jeans were combined perfectly with his white sneakers. His body was wrapped by a simple dark blue shirt.

“You’re handsome, Yi Fan” I sincerely said it .

“As always.” He was full of confidence. He grabbed the car key in the table and went out. I followed behind him.

I looked at the messy clothes on my bed. I really didn’t know what to wear. This was my first date.

In the end my choice was a simple white dress combined with a denim jacket. I braided my hair and placed it in front of my right shoulders. I chose a white net little bag to match it with my dress, my watch and my sneakers.

I looked at the mirror once again, took a deep breath and smiled. I am ready.

I came out from my room and saw Yi Fan watched some photos in the living room. He placed his sight on me and stayed still.

He let out a sweet and warm smile. “Beautiful.”

I was sure that my cheeks were as red as ripped tomatoes.

***

My watch showed that it was 12.00 am when we reached the restaurant. We ordered some food to fulfill our stomach.

He smiled so much since this morning. Although it was me who always told him stories about my life, but it was fine. He was not comfortable enough to tell me about his life. It was only about his school and work. I didn’t want to make him down so I didn’t ask anything. I kept my curiosity about family and also his love story.

After the comfortable lunch, we took a walk in the park. He bought me a cone of chocolate ice cream, my favorite. I felt a warm thing in my left hand. I was surprised that he held my hand. Let me tell you once again,,,HE HELD MY HAND. I tried to stay calm even though my heart beat uncontrollably. He looked at me and gave me that sweet and warm smile again. The smile I miss the most. I smiled back at him. We decided to sit down in the wooden beach and waited for the sunset.

The time ran so fast. I couldn’t count how many stories came from my mouth, how many jokes that he said, but my cheeks felt so stiff because of my laughs. Suddenly, his phone rang. He looked at the screen before he decided to answer it. It was an important call I guessed. I saw his face changed. His smile was gone and replace by that flat expression.

He hung up the call and placed his phone in his pocket. “Mom is in a critical condition. You want me to take you home, or…”

“I’ll go with you.”

***

Yi Fan looked at his mother from outside through the transparent glass. Actually he could come inside and accompanied his mother. But he rejected it. He just wanted to stay outside.

I pat his right shoulder. “Can I go inside?”

He nodded without saying a word.

I wore the blue hospital attire before came inside. I sat down beside her.

“Mom, I am sorry. I think he is not ready yet to come inside. But I promise you that he will be fine. I’ll be there for him.” I held her soft and cold hand.

“Mom, thank you for raising him so well. Thank you for the chance for me to know him more.” My eyes were getting hotter. My sight was blurry.  “I am sorry that I didn’t ask for your permission first, but I had a date with your prince today. He smiled and laughed so much.” I looked at the mentioned man outside. He was still in that position without any expression. I let out tears ran down my cheeks. “Please get well very soon, Mom.”

I walked toward Yi Fan who was sitting in a long white bench in front of his mom’s room. He seemed so fragile. The clear water was in his eyelids. He cried.

I sat down beside him, wrapped my little prince in my arms. I patted his back slowly.

“You can cry, Yi Fan. Don’t be too strong. I’m here for you.” I said. “Please stay beside her while you can. I am sure that she needs you the most now to be her protector.” The tears were wetting my cheeks again.

I let him cried in my arms until he decided to let go. Both of his hands erased the traces of his tears. He stood up and went to the toilet in the end of the corridor.

He came back with a better face. He washed it to make it looked fresher.

“I’ll send you home now.” His voice was so hoarse.

I shook my head. “No, I’ll go myself. You stay here. I’ll be here tomorrow after school.”

I stood up and faced him. “Remember, your mom needs you. Don’t skip your meal and your vitamin.” I gave him his pills bottle. He forgot to bring it when we went out this morning. But I managed to bring it with me.

He took the bottle from my hand. “Thank you, Nana.” He looked calmer than before.

I hugged him and he hugged me back. He placed his hands in my waist and hugged me tighter.

“Stay strong, dear. I am here for you.” I whispered to him and let go. I held his hands. “Let me know if you need anything, okay?”

“I need you.” He said.

“I’ll stay then.” I decided.

He shook his head. “No, just go home and get some rest. I’ll meet you again tomorrow, here.” He sounded so wise. A small smile was created in his flawless face.

“You sure?” I was hesitant.

He nodded and convinced me.

“Okay. I’ll go now. Remember what I said before.” I said.

“You talk too much. Just go.” He messed up my hair slowly.

I nodded and stood on my toes to kiss his left cheek. –Chu- . He was surprised but then he smiled to me. “Thanks for today’s date.”

_To be Continued_