The Pizza Guy

Heavy Men-tal

                                     

 

“Well, what do you think of him?”

 

The band’s gathered again in the basement, waiting for Kyungsoo to arrive. Their new frontman is approximately five minutes and thirty-two seconds late, not that Jongin’s been counting or anything.

 

“He seems soft.  Kinda… Squishy.” Kris is the first one to speak up. Tao has one arm encircling his neck, the other arm idly plucking the strings of Kris’ guitar as the elder works at tuning it.

 

“It’s the face.” Chanyeol adds. His voice is slightly muffled as his upper half is hunched down to dig out the other microphones from a corner of the room.

 

“He’s definitely a . Probably small, since the rest of him’s so short. “ Sehun cracks with a smirk. There’s a chorus of agreement from the rest of the band.

 

“Seriously?” Jongin quirks an eyebrow upward.

 

“Are you defending his game, Jongin?” Sehun asks, suggestively waggling his eyebrows.

 

Jongin facepalms, and Kyungsoo takes that particular moment to knock at the front door. He’s just gotten back from his classes. His hair is slightly wet from being in the rain, something Jongin finds especially cute.

 

When he’s let in, he feels entirely compelled to tell Jongin that he really doesn’t want to be in the band. He opens his mouth only to have Jongin shout that he’s arrived down the stairs, and the group greets him so enthusiastically that he can’t bring himself to say anything.

 

“So, what songs do you guys usually perform?” he asks once the musicians have taken their positions. He wants to know more about what he’s gotten into.

 

“Uh.. Mostly we’ve been doing covers. I mean, we haven’t actually gotten any gigs yet. Got a couple dozen hits on our website though. And we got our first follower just last night! Someone by the username of byun_baek. Things have been going good since you showed up. ” Jongin answers, puffing his chest out with pride.


 

.    Kyungsoo’s not really sure what he was expecting, honestly. He’ll take it.

 

“Alright, let’s roll. We were working on that Seo Taiji song, Internet War earlier, so let’s run it through again now that we’ve got our lead vocalist. “ Jongin instructs them. The song is completely unfamiliar, but Kyungsoo’ll do his best. The trio of singers takes their places at the microphones as the band starts to play

 

“And one, two, three.. Nice intro, Kris....” Jongin conducts them before the lyrics start.

 

“A place where nonsense dominates,

A place without limits on freedom of speech

You, who speaks with no intelligence, don’t be hurt now. ” Jongin begins, practically snarling into the microphone.

 

“, you keep talking regardless

You, , what's your worth?

Though I pity you, please ing stop!” Kyungsoo follows, only to be interrupted as the band halts immediately, like a record after a scratch. He turns around, startled.

 

“Oh my God, that was just sad. Your voice... I’d thought it was just for the ballads but it really is that damn high...“ Sehun bursts out laughing and nearly drops his guitar in the process.

 

Tao snickers from behind him.

 

“Excuse me?” Kyungsoo asks, turning to glare at Sehun. He’d thought that the kid seemed like a brat earlier but had pushed the thought out of his mind. He does his best to look threatening as he narrows his eyes.

 

“OK, just.. Try again. “ Sehun responds, hands up in mock surrender.

 

Kyungsoo turns back to the microphone and the song starts up again.


“You’ve improved. “ Jongin comments after they’ve run through the song for the fifth time that evening. Jongin’s voice is hoarse. He gives Kyungsoo a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

 

    “Can we get some food? Like, a pizza?” Sehun requests as he returns his guitar to its spot on the wall.

 

    “Mhm, sure. “ Jongin replies as he traipses up the stairs, the rest of the band following him. He takes out his phone and heads into the living room, flopping down onto the couch as he calls the delivery service. The rest of the members spread out nearby and make themselves comfortable sans Kyungsoo, who’s decided he’d rather lean against the wall than sit with any of them.

 

    The doorbell rings a few moments later, and Sehun rushes to get it. There’s a very pretty delivery boy standing there, two boxes stacked in his arms. The light from indoors illuminates his face to reveal pale skin and plush pink lips framed by short brown hair. His nametag reads Lu Han.

 

    “That’ll be 35,000 won. ” he orders with a barely noticeable accent, and Sehun’s heart rises in his throat. He could listen to that voice all day.

 

    “R-right. One second. “ Sehun breathes, rushing into the kitchen and fumbling for his wallet in one of the drawers. He returns a few seconds later, bills clutched in hand.

 

    “Thank you, you have a good night. ” Lu Han exits as Sehun takes the packages from his hands, flashing a small smile. His teeth are perfectly white. He’s one of God’s lost angels, Sehun decides.

 

    “You too. “ Sehun finishes, watching as Lu Han turns to leave back down from the front porch.

 

    He’s going to be ordering a lot more pizza.