The Poster Boy

Heavy Men-tal

Kyungsoo strolls outside of his dormitory, only to be struck by a paper blowing in the crisp spring air. The perfect start to his morning, he thinks to himself. He yanks the offending sheet off and crumples it up, only to find several hundred like it scattered around his college campus this morning. They all advertise the same thing in large Comic Sans type.

 

Group looking for vocalists. Call 439-6125  or go to Taepyeong Street, Building 24 if interested.

    

He guesses that it's some kind of performance arts group. Maybe a theatre troupe or something. On the whole, it doesn't sound especially appealing. He has enough to do as it is. Boys Over Flowers isn't going to watch itself, nor any of the other dramas Kyungsoo has in his arsenal.. His phone chirps in his pocket, signalling it's time for his classes to start. He stuffs the crumpled paper in his pocket and rushes off towards one of the large buildings around the campus.

 

Kyungsoo takes his seat quietly, his backpack hanging over the corner of his chair as his professor begins to take attendance of the students, They file in slowly, all of them seemingly eager to talk about the posters. The door shuts as the professor finishes and takes out a sheaf of papers. All is quiet for a few brief moments before the door opens with a bang and a shout from outside follows. Kyungsoo doesn't look up as the jean-clad figure enters. He knows that voice from a mile away. Baekhyun.

 

"Pleasure of you to join us, Mr. Byun. " the professor snarks.

 

"My apologies, professor. " he replies, feigning remorse as he crams into the seat next to Kyungsoo in the lecture hall. The teacher nods tiredly at the late student before resuming his roll call.

 

"Hey, did you see the posters?" Baekhyun greets him, bag thumping to the ground. His fellow music major and best friend runs a hand through his tousled light brown hair as he speaks. If the dark circles under his eyes and half-buttoned shirt are any indication, he's just pulled an all-nighter.

 

"One hit me in the face this morning, yes. Why?"

 

"Was thinking of trying out. You could too if you wanted. " Baekhyun chuckles, taking out his notebook for the class.

 

The younger snorts. He's never been one for group performances. Secretly, he prefers having all the attention for himself. In elementary school, he sang louder than the others. In middle school, he'd begged his teacher for a solo in the school concert. In freshman year of high school, Kibum (a senior at the time) had tried to recruit him to join the yearly musical, but he refused when all the solo parts were taken.

 

"Absolutely not. " he murmurs, crossing his arms stubbornly.

 

Baekhyun takes out his phone and starts typing furiously. Kyungsoo guesses he's texting his crush and part-time local coffee shop barista, Chanyeol. Kyungsoo doesn't have the heart to tell him that Chanyeol is completely oblivious to his advances, and that his happiness is just a natural genetic trait and not at all caused by Baekhyun stopping by everyday for a cappuccino with extra whipped cream.

 

"That's all good. I'll have less competition for lead vocalist... " he retorts between taps, smirking smugly.

 

On second thought, maybe he'll stop by.

 


 

Jongin groans, face pressed into the pillow.  Loud bangs on his door make for lovely background music as he pulls himself up off of the bed. The afternoon light streams in through the window behind the headboard.

 

"Get up already, ! There's some guy here to see you about the band!"

 

"I'm up! Eat my , Sehun!" he yells back in response. He gives himself a once-over in the mirror. Still hot, he decides as he opens the door and stumps past his human alarm clock of a roommate down the hallway to the front door. Oh Sehun doesn't make for the best roommate, not at all, but Jongin finds himself having a friendship with him anyway. He opens the door slowly to find a rather nice-looking black-haired man standing on his doorstep. He looks to be about Jongin's age, maybe a little older.

 

"Hi, I'm Do Kyungsoo... I'm here about the poster?"

 

"Oh, yeah. That. I told my friend to send those out a few weeks ago, but I guess he only got around to it today. I'm Jongin. " He shoots a death glare down the hall at Sehun, who sticks out his tongue. Jongin flips his roommate off before turning back to the man apparently named Kyungsoo.

 

"You can come in if you want. " he says, moving to make space for him in the doorway. Internally, Jongin's practically vibrating with excitement. He hadn't expected anyone to actually show up, and especially not someone so good-looking.

 

Kyungsoo steps in nervously. This must be a bachelor pad. There are leftover pizza boxes piled atop tables, swimsuit calendars staring him in the face on the walls, and some unsavory looking DVD is playing on the TV where the guy, Sehun, Kyungsoo thinks his name is, is watching with rapt attention.

 

Jongin leads him down a set of wooden stairs that end at a basement.

 

"Behold, the band room. "

 

The place doesn't look professional at all. There's a drum set set up in the center of the room, a microphone in its stand sits in front of it. There's a few guitars hanging on the left wall. On the wall behind the drumset is some spraypainted character. Kyungsoo squints, he thinks it reads EXO.

 

"EXO? So.. This is.. a band?" he asks.

 

"It is, isn't it? You'll fit right in, man. No sweat. " Jongin says, flinging a muscular arm around his shoulders. He angles his head to shout upstairs.

 

"Go tell the others to get over here!"

 

Sehun shouts back something that Kyungsoo thinks is in the affirmative, but could just be a scream of frustration. He has no idea what the other band members are like, but he's terrified already. He did not sign up for a band. There's no way he can back out now, though. Jongin has him trapped.