watch your language!

What Not to Write {fanfiction tips}

watch your language! —

I’m not going to talk about cursing but something different instead. Well, no, I take it back; I will be talking a bit about cursing. Mostly about slang because the English language has been torn apart so much that our way of speaking is just so informal to a point where it makes us look just plain stupid. This might be why Asians are always considered smarter! I’m Asian so, ha, I’m smarter than you now! Now I have to say I’m kidding because you couldn’t hear the sarcasm in my voice.

 

Take a look at this chart of words that we’ve taken and massacred them into modern slang. It’s pretty scary. Some of them, I don’t even understand how people came up with but they have somehow in their own strange stupid, way.

 

 

Correct English

Slang

got to

gotta

hafta

have to

would have

would of

ing

en

freaking

fricken

want to

wanna

got you

gotcha

what you

whatcha

because

‘cause/cuz

cousin

cuz

what’s up

sup

something we Asians got

SWAG

 

 

The last one was for fun. The list also is incomplete. There are tons of words that we misuse because slang. One of the main causes for having such bad English is because of texting. We use too many abbreviations and spelling things out isn’t a necessity so most don’t bother to pay any attention. Some people can actually mange to have a conversation without using any real words, which is just sad. I’m a big on grammar so I type everything out, for the most part, when I text people unless I’m in a hurry or in class (which you shouldn’t do because texting in class is bad).

 

Now I’m going to type out a whole conversation using slang and pretty much slang alone along with symbols. Symbols can be acquired using the symbol key on your phone or FN depending on what type of cell phone you have. IPhones and other touch screen phones don’t always have the same keys so I’m not going to go through them all.

  

You: Yo

Friend: Sup?

You: NM HBU?

Friend: NM

You: FML

Friend: Y?

You: NVM

Friend: G2G TTYL

 

 

First off, it isn’t an accurate conversation via text messages so obviously not all of us is going to randomly put FML when texting someone. Other slang abbreviations have been made and, for whatever reason, have been added to the dictionary. Don’t be stupid and use this in your stories. Write everything out unless you’re using text messages in the middle of your chapter (or whatever you’re writing). Only then is it acceptable. Emoticons are something that you need to avoid as well. They’re bothersome and don’t belong in a story.

 

To me, only when dialogue is used is slang somewhat acceptable. Slang is something that is, at times, unavoidable because it’s so common and at times we can forget what the true meaning of the slang is. When I speak to someone in person, I don’t always even realize that I’m using slang until I really hear what I’m saying. My own words are in one ear and out the other so just be careful about what you say.