Kyungsoo's Luckiest Day

My Lucky Connection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The luckiest day starts off with the sound of heaven.

Literally.

Or, well, maybe not quite literally, but the harp instrumental that wakes Kyungsoo up is close enough as it is. With eyes still blurred by sleep, Kyungsoo reaches for his phone under his pillow and presses a button. “Hello?” he murmurs sleepily.

There’s a tinny version of an otherwise normal voice on the other end of the line and Kyungsoo can barely hear it over the sound of is that rain? Yes, it’s raining. He manages to catch the words ‘cancelled’, 'rain', ‘sorry to bother’, and ‘have a nice day’ though, and he gets the gist. “Alright, thanks for telling me Yixing-hyung.” He mumbles into his phone before he presses the button to end the call.  He grins, as his only social engagement for the day was now void, and if there’s anything Do Kyungsoo loved, it was rainy days and day-offs.

And today happens to be both of those things.

Add to the list of Kyungsoo’s favorite things coffee and writing, and you’re set for the get-to-know-Kyungsoo starter pack. He’s an aspiring writer, and likes the free time in his otherwise normally tight schedule so he could dedicate some time to crafting art with his words.

Which is why, as he gets out from bed with an excited air about him, he decides to pay a visit to the coffee shop across the street and maybe get some word crafting done today. Nothing like the rain and coffee to add some much needed mood to his passion. He’s been uninspired lately, but something tells Kyungsoo that he just might get out of his writer’s slump today.

He takes a quick shower, and sings happily while he does, because the day’s already shaping up to be one of the best in quite a while.

As soon as he’s dressed, he grabs his laptop bag and shoves in his keys and phone into it. He finds his umbrella and leaves his apartment with a bright smile on his face (though he’d much rather walk in the rain, thanks. But then of course he has his laptop with him so no).

His lucky streak continues when he finds that he doesn’t have to open his umbrella because the rain stops just as he’s about to cross the street to the coffee shop. While mildly upset that the delightful and full of inspiration rain has stopped, Kyungsoo’s just as grateful to be able to go out and stay dry for the most part.

Kyungsoo enters the new coffee shop located just across his apartment complex, smiling happily as he hears the familiar jangle of bells as he opens the door.

“Morning, Jongdae.” He greets the barista cheerfully.

“Morning, Kyungsoo. You seem chipper today, having a good day?” Jongdae replies with a smile of his own.

Kyungsoo nods. “Uh-huh. The rain got me out of a prior commitment which I really didn’t want to go to, I mean, not that I didn’t want to go but it’s just that I really love day offs.  And then it stopped as soon as I stepped out of the apartment, can you believe that? I’m feeling particularly lucky today.” His tone is definitely way more enthusiastic than normal, but he doesn’t mind because he’s such a lucky ducky today.

Jongdae grins. “Well, the other guy who came in today seems to be experiencing quite the opposite.” He tilts his head towards the direction of the one other customer in the café, sitting right at the table by the window.

Kyungsoo sees that the stranger is wet from head to toe, except for his hair which he seemed to have at least attempted to dry off with the towel draped around his neck. He’s furiously tapping at his phone like a madman, and Kyungsoo wonders briefly, what’s up with him?

His thoughts are cut off as Jongdae slides his usual order across the counter, and Kyungsoo thanks him while he hands over his payment. Normally, Kyungsoo would get a move on to where he had to be, which today was supposed to be the performing arts studio where he spends his free time singing at. But of course that commitment had been gloriously cancelled earlier, and there’s something about the distressed expression on the other boy’s face that makes Kyungsoo sit down on the table right across his, sipping at his hot latte nonchalantly.

The boy’s getting crankier by the minute, fumbling with his phone and nearly dropping it when it beeps an offending tone at him. Kyungsoo knows it all too well. The dying cry of a smartphone is one of the reasons why Kyungsoo’s always chosen to keep his phone one of a lesser “smart” model. It’s both efficient and less of a hassle, battery-wise.

When the other boy’s phone dies completely, as Kyungsoo surmises from the panicked then crestfallen look on the boy’s face, he starts rummaging around his really really wet bag. What in the world has this guy been through?

The boy limply raises his hand to the level of his eyes to stare at a, is that a USB cord? Kyungsoo holds back a chuckle when the boy’s face falls in dejection when he registers what his search has produced.

The only other occupant of the cafe aside from the barista watches the entire thing in silent amusement and bewilderment. 

Cute, he thinks, before he mentally slaps himself for (1) Staring at strangers, (2) Creeping on stra

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter