P A R T T H R E E

Pretty Boy

P A R T  T H R E E

------------------------------------------------------------

 

We had all looked at each for what seemed an hour until Taemin and Jongin burst into laughter. I, too, red faced, joined in the laughter, hiding my face from them. Of course he wouldn’t be serious about something like this. The boy continued to laughing, except for Joonmyun. He looked at the boys and then me. He was about to speak up when their mother walked in the room.

 

“Come on, children!” she called “Let’s eat the food while it’s still hot,” We had all situated ourselves at the table, with Imo at the head, Jongin on her left with Taemin next to him, with Joonmyun and me on her right. The meal was filled with laughter and smiles as Joonmyun told stories from his college.

 

“Oh, Umma and Hyung, Taemin and I are performing on Saturday night at the talent show, and I was hoping you guys could come and watch?” Jongin asked. “Soomin is coming to watch us, too,” he added in, looking very hopeful.

 

“Saturday night?” Imo asked. “I have work that night, but I’ll see what I can do,” she smiled at the boys. Jongin nodded and went back to eating. Imo then turned to me and spoke up. “Soomin, are you alright honey? You haven’t spoken all night, you’ve barely eaten your food and this is your favorite. Did the boys say anything to you?” she asked.

 

“Aniyo, Imo,” I assured her, flashing a small smile. “I just need some fresh air. If you excuse me, I’m going to go walk around outside,” I quickly said and made my way to the door. I slipped into my sneakers and pulled my sweater closer to my body as I stepped out the door, phone secured in my pocket with headphones attached as I blasted music. I had only got down half the block when I felt a hand on my back. I turned around to see the familiar face and smiled.

 

“Hi Joonmyun oppa,” I said. He merely smiled back at me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, bringing me closer to him as we continued walking, one headphone in my left ear, the other in his right ear.

 

“You like Taemin, don’t you?” he spoke up.

 

“Yeah,” I answer carefully. “He’s an okay friend, I mean,”

 

“That’s not what I meant. You like him like him,”

 

“I don’t know, do I?” I sigh. “You saw what happened in there. He doesn’t like me and it’s just a crush. I’ll get over it soon,” I smile up at him.

 

“You should confess to him,” Joonmyun said. “Yeah sure, it might ruin the friendship you guys have, but at least you’ll know how he really feel about you,”

 

“I don’t know, Oppa,” I say.

 

“Why don’t you go and find out then?” he pointed up ahead to wear Taemin was sitting in front of the house. Joonmyun flashed a quick smile at me and patted my back before he made his way inside. I walked past the house, or at least tried to. Taemin grabbed my wrist, but in the most gentle way possible. “Where are you going?” he asked.

 

“Home,” I said, as I took my phone out of my pocket. I sent Jongin a quick text, telling him I was heading home and that I would see him Saturday night at the talent show. I looked up at Taemin who was still in front of me. “Excuse me,” I say, walking past him, but his gripped tightened slightly, stopping me once again.

 

“I want you to come somewhere with me,” he said and dragged me with him. I tried freeing my hand from his grip, but it was unsuccessful. He suddenly stopped, letting go of my wrist, only to interlock his hand with mine. I tried shaking my hand away from him, but it was futile. He took me to a park not far from where I lived.

 

“Do you remember this park?” he asked.

 

“This is where Jongin and I first met you,” I quietly answered, recalling the day where Jongin and I were only freshmen in high school and we met Taemin here on the first day of school alone. I smiled, remembering that Taemin looked scared when Jongin first went up to him, introducing himself and me.

 

“This is also where I had my first crush,” he spoke up.

 

“Really?” I look at him. “Who is she? Do I know her? Do you still like her?”

 

He chuckled. “Yes, you know her very well, and yes, I still like her. You’ll find out who she is soon enough,” he answered.

 

‘Well there goes any plans you had for confessing, Soomin,’ I thought to myself. “That’s good for her, then,” I reply. “I should head home now, it’s getting late,” I turn away from him making my way out when Taemin ran up next me, interlocking our hands again.

 

“I’ll walk you home,” he replied. I said nothing and placed my headphones in my ear. I looked through my songs, picking What Should I Do by Jang Geun Suk. Taemin noticed I had been too quiet and realized I was listening to music. He took out one headphone from my ear and placed it in his. I said nothing, shaking my head slightly and continued walking, hand intertwined with Taemin’s.

 

We had finally made our way in front of my house. “Thanks for walking me home, I guess….” I quietly say. “Good night,” I turned around to walk up the stairs when Taemin called out.

 

“Wait, Soomin,” he started. “You forgot something,”

 

“What?” I ask, turning around, seeing Taemin too close to me for my liking. He pressed his lips against my right cheek, causing it to turn red and heat up for the second time that night.

 

Because of him.

 

“A good night kiss from a pretty boy like me to a pretty girl like you,” he cheekily smiled. “Good night, Soomin!” he exclaimed as he walked away from the house, leaving me in front of the house with my heart beating fast, butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

 

“Stupid pretty boy,” I muttered, staring at the back of his figure getting smaller and smaller at each step he took.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Updated: July.31.2015.