Chapter 4

Temporary Pain (INDEFINITE HAITUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Baekhyun-ah, you okay?”

 

Baekhyun jerked his head up from his history textbook upon hearing his own name. Jongdae’s concerned look made him nod his head quietly.

There was dried drool on the top corner of his textbook.

 

The sun hovered just above horizon, the day transitioning into night. The evening outside seemed cloudy yet warm. The grey clouds covered up the sun as it started to lightly drizzle.

“Are you sure?”

Baekhyun nodded again in response.

“I have to go run some errands for my cousin who’s in town for a few days.” Jongdae yawned pushing out his chair.

"So I'll probably see you tomorrow then." 

“No, if you're leaving then I will too.” Baekhyun started picking up his books as well. Library was no fun without Jongdae.

 

Baekhyun walked out with Jongdae and waved him goodbye as he left the campus grounds. Baekhyun watched him disappear around the corner and with a loud sigh he turned around to find his roommate staring at him.

 

“I-I it’s not what you th-think.” Baekhyun stuttered as he noticed it was quite dark and they were practically alone outside the library halls.

 

His knees felt weak as he realised there was no-one out here except them. He stumbled back and was shocked when Changwook caught his arm as he was about to fall.

Changwook looked different up close.

 

He didn’t see his cold emotionless stare this time. He felt those eyes drip with solicitude and concern.

 

Intuition was something Baekhyun never relied on, but he was sure there was something warm, something benign behind those hazel eyes.

Slowly releasing his grip Changwook walked away without a word.

Tear drops and rain water blended together as Baekhyun stood there, too stunned to move.

 

 

 

 

“Hey Jongin, how long you and Baekhyun have been friends?”

Putting his book down, Jongin gave him a quizzical look.

 

“Like almost a month now, just a couple weeks more than you. Why?” Jongin had noticed how Baekhyun specifically avoided Chanyeol whenever they met but didn’t pry in their business.

 

“It’s just—I don’t know.” Chanyeol sighed unable to frame his thoughts.

“What is it?” Jongin was curious now. Baekhyun behaved differently around Chanyeol, everyone had noticed that. He seemed quieter whenever they met up with Chanyeol.

 

“Like he thinks that I’m----” Maybe this wasn’t something he could explain without fully understanding it himself.

“Never mind. It’s just... never mind.”

 

Chanyeol left Jongin’s room, waving slightly at a sleepy Kyungsoo as he walked towards his dreadful room.

 

During class Baekhyun avoided even being around his peripheral vision, usually sitting way behind Chanyeol and didn’t come back to their dorm room until midnight (presumably sp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter