Waking Up

New Life

“Omo. She’s waking up! Get the doctor!” An unknown voice rings.

I try to regain consciousness as a doctor rushes in. ”Where-Where am I?” I ask hoarsely.

“Kailey, you’re in a hospital. Do you remember what happened?” The nurse asks you skeptically.

“No. Why am I here? Where is my family?”

“Your family and you had a car accident. You’ve been unconscious for four years. We’re glad you’re awake.”

“Are they okay? Where are they?” My voice began to rise with panic.

“I’m so sorry, Kailey. They all passed four years ago. It’s a miracle that you’re alive.”

I sit speechless. No emotions, just a blank face.

“Where is your dad? We haven’t been able to get into contact with him in four years.”

“He’s dead. He died when I was seven. My mom and my twin brother and sister were all I had left.” I whisper.

The nurse looks horrified by what I just said. She finally realizes that I am alone now. “What are we going to do?” the nurse asks as the doctor comes back in.

“The agency has already been working on it in case she woke up. She leaves tomorrow.” The doctor says. Seeing the look on the nurse’s and my face, he says, “I know it’s soon, but it’s for the best. All of your belongings, like clothes and personal items, have been packed for you. We will have a nurse take you to your home to make sure you don’t need anything else.”

“Where will I be going? Can she take me to my house?” I ask as I point at the nurse that I’ve been talking to.

“I can’t tell you where you’re going yet and yes, Nancy can take you. Let me get you unhooked from all these machines. If you want to, Nancy may also take you by your mom and siblings graves.”

“That would be nice.” I say. “Thank you doctor. Is there any shoes and other clothes I could wear.”

“Of course, let me go and get your suitcase. “ The doctor brings in my suitcase.

I change into my most comfortable but cute outfit and brush out my long blonde hair. “I’m ready to go Miss Nancy.” I plop into a nice, red mustang and Nancy and I drive to my house.

“What is your address?” Nancy asks me as I stare out the window trying to figure out where we are.

“Oh, we’re in Wichita. Okay, just drive thirty minutes west and enter a small town called Cheney.” I doze on and off throughout the short but tiring drive. When we finally arrive at my house, I walk straight up to the door and type in the password. “Are you sure four years have passed? I feel exactly the same. The only difference is the length in my hair. Everything is the same.”

Nancy nods as I enter my house and usher her to come in with me. My clock that I have loved forever, rang midnight as I run upstairs to my room and make sure everything I need from there has been packed. My favorite stuffed animal from when I was twelve was lying on my pillow. I grab it and check all the other rooms before I run downstairs.

“A tiger?” Nancy asks pointing at the stuffed animal I had in my hands.

“Yeah. Natalie and Timmy gave it to me on the morning of my twelfth birthday.” I hold it close and Nancy doesn’t ask any more questions because she knows that Natalie and Timmy are my brother’s and sister’s names. I say goodbye to my house and get back in the car. We stop at my family’s graves where I say my final goodbyes.

Since my flight is at 6am, we decided it would be best to head for the airport since it was 3am. On the way to the airport, Nancy calls the agency and they say that they will meet us there. I fall asleep on the way to the airport.

“Kailey, it’s time to wake up. Your flight is boarding in about ten minutes.” Nancy says as my eyes flutter open.

“Her name is Kaiya now!” someone yells at Nancy.

“Who are you?” I ask groggily.

“I’m Hyuna Yon. You can call me Yon though.”

Yon? What kind of name is that? Does her name have to do with where you are going? “You might be curious as to where you’re going, and I’m not going to tell you until you read the signs at our destinations airport. I decided not to tell you because you will just worry.” Yon says as the loud speaker comes on.

“Gate 9 boarding now. First class, please come to the gate.”

“That’s us, so let’s go. Goodbye Nancy and thanks for your help.”

“Thank you for all your help. I will miss you even though I haven’t known you too long.” I hug Nancy and then jog to gate 9.